Herdman new head coach

matty

On 9/17/2021 at 5:35 AM, Approve My Account Pls said:

I also wonder if no new players just means "No new invitations".

From what we've heard there were players he's asked (such as the guy who said 3 duals were asked) or who were kept in the loop but not brought this window, like Arfield, Corbeanu, Millar etc

Maybe Herdman is just drawing from his own internal 60-man list 😉

@admin@JamboAl I think @Approve My Account Plsrequested help to change his user name a few weeks ago. Now I don't know if you've now accepted this one, but if not: reach out admins and help him change it. 

I personally find it irritating AF.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@admin@JamboAl I think @Approve My Account Plsrequested help to change his user name a few weeks ago. Now I don't know if you've now accepted this one, but if not: reach out admins and help him change it. 

I personally find it funny but would be happy to facilitate a change if requested (best to send a DM with the new user ID).

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At the time was hoping to change it but it's kinda grown on me now... especially since it's apparently becoming a 1B next to Wheeler in thing's @El Hombre likes 😂

I thought that, at the time, Jamaica was a red-list country for the EPL, so their England-based players were not called up for the home game.  If Jamaica is still red-listed, the question for me is whether our European-based players will be released to play there.  Both countries might be dipping into the subs to field teams.

28 minutes ago, VinceA said:

But it was at home with all their "best" players. They will probably use all their English based players and once again look disjointed.

Too many people focusing on the names... it doesn't mean anything if they don't know how to play in CONCACAF.. look at Suriname. Jamaica is following the same trend, not enough camps together to truly build any sort of team chemistry, a bunch of individuals won't get them far in CONCACAF... Panama and Canada arguably benefitted the most from having to play the qualifiers to the octagonal, and to a degree El Salvador (they are a limited team, but they are clearly better now, and look better drilled, than they were 2 years ago)

18 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I thought that, at the time, Jamaica was a red-list country for the EPL, so their England-based players were not called up for the home game.  If Jamaica is still red-listed, the question for me is whether our European-based players will be released to play there.  Both countries might be dipping into the subs to field teams.

Jamaica's "B" teams looked a hell of a lot better in Mexico and Costa Rica than what they put out against Panama in Kingston.

It also should be noted that Independence Park has not been good to them in a long time when it comes to WCQ.

2 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I thought I read that the EPL-based players were allowed to go to Mexico, and probably Costa Rica.  It was just Jamaica that was red-listed.

Nope it was the opposite. The English based players except for Anthony Grant were able to appear for the home match, but were barred from playing in Mexico or Costa Rica.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

But it was at home with all their "best" players. They will probably use all their English based players and once again look disjointed.

It was one game and they organized themselves poorly. The talent is there and they can put out a balanced lineup. That’s all that matters - past results mean nothing. 

The supposition here is that because they had one poor game in their only home game with top players they’ll always have poor games. That’s ridiculous. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It was one game and they organized themselves poorly. The talent is there and they can put out a balanced lineup. That’s all that matters - past results mean nothing. 

The supposition here is that because they had one poor game in their only home game with top players they’ll always have poor games. That’s ridiculous. 

My issue is more with their coach. Tappa Whitmore is a pure motivator and isn't tactically adept at all. Jamaican fans have wanted him out for years now.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

My issue is more with their coach. Tappa Whitmore is a pure motivator and isn't tactically adept at all. Jamaican fans have wanted him out for years now.

Jamaican fans have been split actually. They know there’s better coaches out there, but they also know the JFF can’t afford them (kind like how we were…). 

I keep saying it’s way too early to be judging Jamaica based on the basic facts that hindered their overall preparations….I don’t know how many times I gotta say that. 

Ive spoken directly many times with guys who have been avid active supporters before France 98. Guys who are considered founders like some of our guys here. They understand that Tappa isn’t the best, but he understands the culture, and how to get the best out of some guys while giving opportunities to the born bred jcans (when they can). They say he needs help. It’s the people above him, the infrastructure and the dealings is where the fans want change. For example they recently increased their coaching staff to 4 guys vs ours which has been 6-7 guys with certifications/designations. 

So to say he’s just a motivator….well he’s got them to a Concacaf final with a squad nowhere as talented as the team they have now. 

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I wouldn't disregard these guys yet.  Ignore at your peril.

no one's disregarding them, but facing them at home while they have yet to find their groove is currently an advantage that other teams might not have as qualifying progresses. If there's a time to try to catch them off balance and take 3 home points from them, its now. Panama did it, there's no reason why we can't either.

Edited by LeoH037

14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

no one's disregarding them, but facing them at home while they have yet to find their groove is currently an advantage that other teams might not have as qualifying progresses. If there's a time to try to catch them off balance and take 3 home points from them, its now. Panama did it, there's no reason why can't either.

This is true.  Hopefully the team is in the right mindset to put the sword to them.

14 hours ago, Shway said:

So to say he’s just a motivator….well he’s got them to a Concacaf final with a squad nowhere as talented as the team they have now. 

Right now, Whitmore is just a motivator. Jamaica was one of the Original Six who got put into the Octo because of their FIFA ranking. They might have talent, but they haven't played a meaningful game in 5 years.  They last played WCQ in 2016, when were knocked out in the same round as Canada. 

We should have the advantage against them, since we also have a motivator as coach.

Edited by Trois Reds

• 3 weeks later...

Canadian coach John Herdman sees an opportunity in tough stretch of World Cup qualifying matches
Canada’s slate includes games against Mexico, Jamaica and Panama
John Molinaro CBC Sports October 05, 2021

John Herdman has never shrieked in the face of a challenge during his time as coach of both the Canadian women's and men's soccer teams. His tenure in charge of both programs is defined by his ability to keep his cool, even under the most adverse circumstances.

Herdman's managerial acumen and reputation as a problem solver will face the ultimate test this month when the men's side resumes its World Cup qualifying campaign after a successful start in September. Canada opened its account in the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifiers with a pair of draws against the United States and Honduras, before earning a comprehensive 3-0 home win over El Salvador.

With five points, Canada sits in a three-way tie for second place with the U.S., and Panama. Mexico tops the group with seven points (two wins and a draw). The top three teams in the eight-nation field at the end of the marathon 14-match group stage, which runs until next March, automatically qualify for the World Cup. The Canadians are off to a good start, but things are about to get a whole lot more serious.

Canada is scheduled to play three games in a seven day period, including a road trip to Jamaica (Oct. 10) and home date against Panama in Toronto (Oct. 13). But before those two games, Canada pays a visit to Mexico City's Estadio Azteca on Thursday night for a showdown against CONCACAF top dogs Mexico in what is the biggest game in years for the Canadian team.

Estadio Azteca hasn't been kind to Canada

Estadio Azteca hasn't been very kind to Canada over the years, as the team has never won at the venerable stadium that staged the 1970 and 1986 FIFA World Cup finals. Several heavy losses have been suffered there by the Canadians at the hands of the merciless Mexicans, including an 8-0 drubbing in 1993.

So on paper, it would appear that Canada, No. 51 in the current FIFA world rankings, has some work to do against ninth-ranked Mexico. But this is not the same Canadian side that the CONCACAF heavyweights have long used as a punching bag.

Canada has been on the upswing ever since Herdman took over the coaching reins three years ago, and has emerged as one of CONCACAF's up-and-coming nations. More Canadian players than ever before are playing for top clubs in Europe — most notably Alphonso Davies with German giants Bayern Munich. Closer to home, a deep crop of national team members have established themselves amongst the best players in MLS at their positions, including Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC), Samuel Piette (CF Montreal) and Mark-Anthony Kaye (Colorado Rapids).

Canada and Mexico met as recently as July when they went toe-to-toe in a thrilling semifinal match at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in Houston. Even with two of its main protagonists unavailable due to injury — Davies and forward Jonathan David, who plays with Lille in France's first division — Canada pushed the Mexicans to their limits before El Tri eked out a 2-1 win via a goal deep into injury time.

Such a performance by Canada  against Mexico would have been unimaginable as little as three years ago. But a final four appearance at the Gold Cup, coupled with its strong showing in World Cup qualifying to date, has sent a message to the rest of CONCACAF that Herdman's team is for real, and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Mexico test a barometer for Canadians

Still, Thursday night will be a tough test for Canada, and will serve as a barometer of just how far it has come under Herdman. Overall, the Canadian men's team has played 30 games and racked up 22 wins with only six losses since Herdman took charge in 2018. But the overwhelming majority of those victories came against CONCACAF minnows, and only twice has Canada defeated a higher-ranked nation in the Herdman era. What's more, Mexico is undefeated at Azteca dating back to 2013, and it has never lost a World Cup qualifier to Canada.

Herdman also faces some major roster issues going into the match against Mexico. Captain Atiba Hutchinson, starting goalkeeper Milan Borjan and red-hot striker Cyle Larin have been called up, but Herdman admitted last week that he's not sure they'll play any part in the three games this month due to health issues.

On top of that, promising young defender Scott Kennedy has been ruled out with an injury, while winger Junior Hoillett and midfielder David Wotherspoon won't be able to play in Mexico due to health restrictions that deny travel from UK-based players to certain red-list countries. Canada also has five players on yellow cards from last month, which means any of them will earn a one-game suspension if they pick up another caution on Thursday.

"This (international) window is complicated. We've got COVID cases. We've got travel restrictions… We've got injuries. We're carrying five yellow cards," Herdman said last week.

At the same time, Herdman recognizes that this month's slate of games, and in particular the match versus Mexico, presents Canada with a chance to take a giant step towards qualifying for the World Cup.

"I'm excited. It's a window that we're going to suffer a little bit in… but it's a real opportunity for us to show the quality of our depth and to strengthen this group," Herdman offered.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Canadian coach John Herdman sees an opportunity in tough stretch of World Cup qualifying matches

John Herdman has never shrieked in the face of a challenge during his time as coach of both the Canadian women's and men's soccer teams. His tenure in charge of both programs is defined by his ability to keep his cool, even under the most adverse circumstances.

Herdman's managerial acumen and reputation as a problem solver will face the ultimate test this month when the men's side resumes its World Cup qualifying campaign after a successful start in September. Canada opened its account in the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifiers with a pair of draws against the United States and Honduras, before earning a comprehensive 3-0 home win over El Salvador.

With five points, Canada sits in a three-way tie for second place with the U.S., and Panama. Mexico tops the group with seven points (two wins and a draw). The top three teams in the eight-nation field at the end of the marathon 14-match group stage, which runs until next March, automatically qualify for the World Cup. The Canadians are off to a good start, but things are about to get a whole lot more serious.

Canada is scheduled to play three games in a seven day period, including a road trip to Jamaica (Oct. 10) and home date against Panama in Toronto (Oct. 13). But before those two games, Canada pays a visit to Mexico City's Estadio Azteca on Thursday night for a showdown against CONCACAF top dogs Mexico in what is the biggest game in years for the Canadian team.

Estadio Azteca hasn't been very kind to Canada over the years, as the team has never won at the venerable stadium that staged the 1970 and 1986 FIFA World Cup finals. Several heavy losses have been suffered there by the Canadians at the hands of the merciless Mexicans, including an 8-0 drubbing in 1993.

So on paper, it would appear that Canada, No. 51 in the current FIFA world rankings, has some work to do against ninth-ranked Mexico. But this is not the same Canadian side that the CONCACAF heavyweights have long used as a punching bag.

Canada has been on the upswing ever since Herdman took over the coaching reins three years ago, and has emerged as one of CONCACAF's up-and-coming nations. More Canadian players than ever before are playing for top clubs in Europe — most notably Alphonso Davies with German giants Bayern Munich. Closer to home, a deep crop of national team members have established themselves amongst the best players in MLS at their positions, including Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC), Samuel Piette (CF Montreal) and Mark-Anthony Kaye (Colorado Rapids).

Canada and Mexico met as recently as July when they went toe-to-toe in a thrilling semifinal match at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in Houston. Even with two of its main protagonists unavailable due to injury — Davies and forward Jonathan David, who plays with Lille in France's first division — Canada pushed the Mexicans to their limits before El Tri eked out a 2-1 win via a goal deep into injury time.

Such a performance by Canada  against Mexico would have been unimaginable as little as three years ago. But a final four appearance at the Gold Cup, coupled with its strong showing in World Cup qualifying to date, has sent a message to the rest of CONCACAF that Herdman's team is for real, and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Still, Thursday night will be a tough test for Canada, and will serve as a barometer of just how far it has come under Herdman. Overall, the Canadian men's team has played 30 games and racked up 22 wins with only six losses since Herdman took charge in 2018. But the overwhelming majority of those victories came against CONCACAF minnows, and only twice has Canada defeated a higher-ranked nation in the Herdman era. What's more, Mexico is undefeated at Azteca dating back to 2013, and it has never lost a World Cup qualifier to Canada.

Herdman also faces some major roster issues going into the match against Mexico. Captain Atiba Hutchinson, starting goalkeeper Milan Borjan and red-hot striker Cyle Larin have been called up, but Herdman admitted last week that he's not sure they'll play any part in the three games this month due to health issues.

On top of that, promising young defender Scott Kennedy has been ruled out with an injury, while winger Junior Hoillett and midfielder David Wotherspoon won't be able to play in Mexico due to health restrictions that deny travel from UK-based players to certain red-list countries. Canada also has five players on yellow cards from last month, which means any of them will earn a one-game suspension if they pick up another caution on Thursday.

"This (international) window is complicated. We've got COVID cases. We've got travel restrictions… We've got injuries. We're carrying five yellow cards," Herdman said last week.

At the same time, Herdman recognizes that this month's slate of games, and in particular the match versus Mexico, presents Canada with a chance to take a giant step towards qualifying for the World Cup.

"I'm excited. It's a window that we're going to suffer a little bit in… but it's a real opportunity for us to show the quality of our depth and to strengthen this group," Herdman offered.

John certainly has this team going in the right direction, brings the right mindset to the table. How could anyone not like this guy. Just talking to him outside BMO the day before the Honduras game you could feel his passion. It is exciting times for sure, not all that is left is to get the job done. It will be a hard fought battle but one that can be achieved. 

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

We should probably just be posting the links and title.   It isn’t behind a paywall - the Ceeb is accessible by everyone, so we should be giving them to web traffic to reinforce the idea that there is interest in their Canadian soccer content.   And that is aside from the whole liability issue.  

Chronicle put out an article on him the other day as well

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-manager-cutting-edge-21769740

Time for Herdman to take us to the World Cup and then go manage the richest club in the world 👀

Edited by theaub