Herdman new head coach

matty

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This just proves we need young players at top-tier European leagues, and we shouldn't be afraid to give those young players a chance. 

Not saying we don’t, but more and more we’re starting to see these “lower tiers players outperform these tier 1 players and at some point that had to be considered. Tajon is all but guaranteed a move to Inter apparently but he plays for us like he’s playing for a transfer to (pre-Messi) Inter Miami. Davies is erratic and David disappears against bigger teams. Players like Laryea and Adekugbe constantly look as good if not better than them. No knock on them because they really do turn it up when they play for us, but at some point we have to start looking at why so many of our tier 1 players get overshadowed by these guys who aren’t super highly rated st their club.

We're all looking for giant leaps forward and aren't content with small small steps in the right direction. Herdman too. I don't think post final was the right time to make these complaints, given that we could reasonably have won this game on another day. 

7 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Soccer in this country has found a way to grow inspite of the CSA.  But you have a few posters here who hero worship the CSA because they've read a few twitter posts.  Here's hoping the new direction at the CSA can lead the NT programs to a better future.

What?  I haven’t seen any “hero worshiping” of the CSA…

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Unfortunately this isn’t how the real world works.  Talent will leave one organization for another one if they don’t have the resources to do their job properly. 

This.  Stop fooling ourselves. Unless we got a semi-retired experienced coach to do us a favour, or find a young gem, who’s going to take the job?  If the direction of the CSA doesn’t change quickly, we won’t be able to carry the momentum created by this last cycle.

I get it, we can criticize certain elements of Herdman (training / tactics) but it makes no sense to say ‘no excuses’ when there’s a serious funding issue with our program, We, as a fan group, need to focus all our scorn at the CSA… they need to get their sh*t together.

Confused why so many are getting at Herdman for the “training camp excuse”- if it is an excuse, which fine, maybe it is, it doesn’t mean it’s not a valid point and it doesn’t mean that it isn’t a strong message when the head coach of your team publicly blames underfunding as a reason why we lost what we thought was a winnable trophy. Not to mention, even if we did replace Herdman, the coaches who would be considered an upgrade would also want more funding to reach the heights they want to. Coaches leave better teams in Europe because their budgets are capped at a certain point all the time. Is the plan to hire a former premier league or série A manager, perhaps a coach who had taken a team to the World Cup knock out rounds and tell him, look, your camps will be short, your youth camps non existant, your allure to dual nationals nearly non existant, now go win us some trophies?

If Herdman's heart is still in it or not,  he's got an opportunity to prove it in just a few weeks. The Gold Cup should be interesting. If he makes it there? Interim coach Phil Neville does have an interesting ring to it

Edited by SpursFlu

For what it’s worth just read Kloke’s write up in the Athletic in which Atiba refutes John’s claim that more preparation would have made all the difference. 

“I don’t think it came down to that,” he said. “The first couple days we are in training, we know exactly what it takes, what we need to do. We’ve been together for a while now.”

https://theathletic.com/4621554/2023/06/19/canada-nations-league-final/

Edited by grigorio

I had thought that maybe Herdman was the "imment hire" for Bournemouth to replace O´Neil😁, but they just hired Iraoli from Vallecano. Maybe  H has a possibility in English  Champions League or lower now, which I think he would grab to go back home.

17 minutes ago, beachesl said:

I had thought that maybe Herdman was the "imment hire" for Bournemouth to replace O´Neil😁, but they just hired Iraoli from Vallecano. Maybe  H has a possibility in English  Champions League or lower now, which I think he would grab to go back home.

If Herdman had legit opportunities elsewhere he wouldn’t be here right now…he’s got it pretty good here with very little pressure and national team coaches have a very nice schedule…

53 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

You mustn’t some threads then. Few here love to put a cape on for the CSA. 

I think you are mischaracterizing people who weren't willing to unilaterally get behind the players in the recent conflict between them and the association, and who actually questioned and scrutinized some of the claims they made.  Doing so doesn't mean that they are CSA apologists.  I would love to see a few actual examples of V's engaging in CSA "hero worship". 

5 hours ago, beachesl said:

Wow, Iraola, another Basque manager in EPL, that is 4 now. 20% of the league managed by Basques.

As for going back home, I think Herdman would seriously love to go back to New Zealand and manage their men's NT. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As for going back home, I think Herdman would seriously love to go back to New Zealand and manage their men's NT

You want lack of prep, the All Whites can give you lack of prep...and lack of meaningful games...and lack of scrutiny...and lack of resources...  But after the 2026 WC hosts, NZ is next closest to a sure-thing WC participant.

8 hours ago, Kadenge said:

1. The CSA does not have the money to fire JH unless he quits

2. We played poorly vs Panama but our superior talent got us the win. The US, as a team/squad, are on a different talent level. We've known this for a while, but vs Mexico and yesterday, we finally witnessed  the US  playing to their potential. And if they continue  they are miles ahead of any other team in Concacaf.

3. We need to upgrade our CB group/ keeper and add another key midfielder if we have any hope of competing with the US.

Didn't we sack Zambrano after a year? I think a disastrous run at the Gold Cup will cost him his head.

Also, this was the US lineup in Hamilton - yes they got a legit #9 but we beat their best midfield without Davies and Eustaquio while the rest of the team was similar. I don't accept that excuse that they are miles better. Yes- they have better depth but that doesn't excuse last night's performance, choice of players, the back 3, Davies all over the place and no adjustments. Out-coached by an interim guy 2 games in? Unacceptable - and like KJ, I refuse these excuses.
image.png.683ad3bdc9c4230ad22917073bfaedba.png

I've never seen Kennedy in the middle of a back 3 in Germany, I never understood the overwhelming praise for Miller when even Montreal fans said he wasn't great this year. We're overdue to start integrating and testing the other CBs and build around Cornelius.

For me, a bad run (not reaching the semifinals) should cost him his job.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think you are mischaracterizing people who weren't willing to unilaterally get behind the players in the recent conflict between them and the association, and who actually questioned and scrutinized some of the claims they made.  Doing so doesn't mean that they are CSA apologists.  I would love to see a few actual examples of V's engaging in CSA "hero worship". 

I didn’t say all posters. Questioning or scrutinizing is one thing but without the context of understanding what the players have to deal with regarding the CSA ( and more and more they are being exposed ) there are posters who will die on the hill for them. Big Andy and unamed Trialist come to mind. 

27 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I didn’t say all posters. Questioning or scrutinizing is one thing but without the context of understanding what the players have to deal with regarding the CSA ( and more and more they are being exposed ) there are posters who will die on the hill for them. Big Andy and unamed Trialist come to mind. 

I haven’t seen either of them do anything that would come close to hero worship of the CSA.  Quite the opposite in fact. 

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Didn't we sack Zambrano after a year? I think a disastrous run at the Gold Cup will cost him his head.

Also, this was the US lineup in Hamilton - yes they got a legit #9 but we beat their best midfield without Davies and Eustaquio while the rest of the team was similar. I don't accept that excuse that they are miles better. Yes- they have better depth but that doesn't excuse last night's performance, choice of players, the back 3, Davies all over the place and no adjustments. Out-coached by an interim guy 2 games in? Unacceptable - and like KJ, I refuse these excuses.
image.png.683ad3bdc9c4230ad22917073bfaedba.png

I've never seen Kennedy in the middle of a back 3 in Germany, I never understood the overwhelming praise for Miller when even Montreal fans said he wasn't great this year. We're overdue to start integrating and testing the other CBs and build around Cornelius.

For me, a bad run (not reaching the semifinals) should cost him his job.

Reyna set up both goals yesterday and Balogun scored one of them. That's what the U.S. has been missing.

In Hamilton, they had Zardes up top. There's been a massive improvement in the U.S. attack since then.