Ottawa CPL Club

7 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Not in the least. 

I will still be there for a few games. 

Me neither.  In fact, I'm starting to embrace this villain tag and looking forward to thrashing the CPL teams in the V Cup.  How's that for throwing a live hand grenade into this thread?  (insert evil laughter)

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Me neither.  In fact, I'm starting to embrace this villain tag and looking forward to thrashing the CPL teams in the V Cup.  How's that for throwing a live hand grenade into this thread?  (insert evil laughter)

?

You monster!

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The CPL has been too buddy, buddy with each other to my liking.  While I don't like anything about the way the Fury has handled any of part of this situation, I do like that there is a clear "villain" in Canadian soccer right now.  

I hope the Fury are on the receiving end of a drubbing at the hands of the CPL this summer. 

13 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

The CPL has been too buddy, buddy with each other to my liking. 

That seems sort of important while getting the league launched.  By all means get some fierce supporter rivalries going for the upcoming season, but bickering among team owners prior to season 1 would be extremely counterproductive. 

As for Ottawa, I have no idea if they will beat the CPL team in this year's V Cup.  But if any kind of reasonable portion of the TV deal trickles down to teams for player budgets, I highly doubt the Fury come out on top after this year. 

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

This pretty much sums up the Fury at this point in time:

On 2/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, Copes said:

Are Fury fans as irritated by this as the rest of us? 

I'm irritated that the Fury chose to stay in USL, even if I can understand some of the reasons behind it. It's why I cancelled my season seats.

However, I will still be attending a decent number of matches this summer. If they do join the CPL for 2020, I will be one of the first in line for season seats (with a couple more I know who are waiting for the same thing).

But I'm less irritated at what they have done since. Frankly, the thing that irritates me more are people on this board who keep on hoping for the death of this franchise (and the name change conversation is an absurd example of it).

I have been able to watch professional soccer in Ottawa at a decent level for 5 years now. Last year, I got to watch (with frustration at times) a record number of Canadian players on a professional pitch at the same time since MLS' arrival, and probably before. And now there are literally people who are soooooooooo pro-CPL that they would rather that the Fury not exist at all, because the team chose the wait-and-see approach to the new league?

Screw those people.

I'm still strongly pro-CPL, but the attitude of some on here is definitely making me less so.

6 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

But I'm less irritated at what they have done since. Frankly, the thing that irritates me more are people on this board who keep on hoping for the death of this franchise (and the name change conversation is an absurd example of it).

Definitely don't wish the death of Fury and hope they come to their senses for the sake of their fans, but didn't JDG's recent comments annoy you? If the Fury frontoffice just stfu about CPL and focused on mending things behind the scene, I'd be less incensed.

1 minute ago, Sébastien said:

That's the internet for you.  

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but who do people think would put a team/stadium in Ottawa if not OSEG?  

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I have to agree with this 

Yeah but in fairness to Ottawa...this deal was very likely not even on the radar when they had to make a decision last year. So i think this is a bit disingenuous.

Now going forward...it becomes a little harder to to say "we need to wait and see".

Just now, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Definitely don't wish the death of Fury and hope they come to their senses for the sake of their fans, but didn't JDG's recent comments annoy you? If the Fury frontoffice just stfu about CPL and focused on mending things behind the scene, I'd be less incensed.

Not really. I think the whole thing was blown wayyyyyy out of proportion. I took it to mean that there was only 1 player who is currently in CPL that he was interested in signing. There can be a million reasons for that.

I'm more annoyed at how people are looking for any excuse to flip out over anything the Fury does/says. It feels like crazy insecurity.

CPL will be fine without Ottawa this year. It'll be a fun year!

11 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

That's the internet for you.  

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but who do people think would put a team/stadium in Ottawa if not OSEG?  

There have been conversations in the past on this thread.

If the Fury continue to exist, even in USL, I currently see no viable option for another professional club in Ottawa. That's my opinion as a local, but Ottawa is just not strong enough a market for it.

As far as stadium goes, with Lansdowne existing, there will be little to zero appetite for another stadium to be built in the city with any public funds or public land. Only options I can see is a massive rebuild of the Carleton University stadium (I see as unlikely), or a fully-privately funded construction project, starting from scratch. Considering the only such stadium in CPL is the Cavalry's, I don't see many in Ottawa with similar conditions (pre-existing facilities & such solid financial situation).

52 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Not really. I think the whole thing was blown wayyyyyy out of proportion. I took it to mean that there was only 1 player who is currently in CPL that he was interested in signing. There can be a million reasons for that.

I'm more annoyed at how people are looking for any excuse to flip out over anything the Fury does/says. It feels like crazy insecurity.

CPL will be fine without Ottawa this year. It'll be a fun year!

Ok, maybe if he just left it at that - but then the sarcastic Belgium third division comment?

If he's such a big believer in Canadian players, he could've just said there's a lot of talent to go around but that he's focused on specific skillsets that fits the way he wants to play. It just seems so unnecessary.

35 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Ok, maybe if he just left it at that - but then the sarcastic Belgium third division comment?

If he's such a big believer in Canadian players, he could've just said there's a lot of talent to go around but that he's focused on specific skillsets that fits the way he wants to play. It just seems so unnecessary.

Don’t forget that there’s rumours out there that JdG was actively telling Canadians players not to sign in the CPL because it will fail.

De Guzman is a salty liar and it really shows. Ottawa might be the only Canadian club that wouldn't sign Kwame Awuah if he asked to sign for them. Want an experienced striker familiar with USL, but wouldn't have Ameobi in their team? We would never sign Skylar Thomas, but we would most defenitely sign an American to do the same thing! 

I almost feel bad for the guy. He seems incredibly desperate atm. 

It wasn’t smart for Ottawa to stay in the USL, but it isn’t a irreversible decision. Going to the CPL probably would have been. The business decision is totally understandable. Waiting a year is low risk low reward, and that has always been the strategy of the Fury’s management.

I applaud the club for all they have done (even though, being an Eddies fan, I hate them). They are still front runners in Canada, and without them and the Eddies, the CPL may not have come about. I look forward to having them in the CPL and kicking their butts.

All that being said, JDG hasn’t shown any class. Whether or not he has been negative toward the CPL, he definitely hasn’t been positive. There is no well wishing to the league, even on a financial and Canadian soccer level. I understand that he is the Fury’s coach, so he needs to talk about his team being the best. But he hasn’t even acknowledged what the CPL will do for soccer in Canada. You would hope, after all his time representing Canada, he would still be hoping for success of the Nation as a whole. He hasn’t handled himself with any class, and he has tarnished his reputation in Canada soccer for me. 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, Copes said:

Are Fury fans as irritated by this as the rest of us? 

Yes, but I caved and rebought my seasons last week. My rep said that they weren't against the league, but they didn't want to leave what is known for what is unknown. But my go to response whenever something doesn't make sense is - follow the money. Who is saying what and why often comes down to - there is money involved somewhere.

That said, I'm waiting to hear when the supporters opening season get together is. Last year it was in March. Usually they have an open mic for questions. I have a couple for the coach, GM, and owner that I plan to ask. I'm very curious as to what their response will be. 

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Stony Monday Riot used to bring this really flimsy looking banner that had ''Ottawa versus everyone'' and 'Ottawa contre tout le monde'' on it which in addition to being bilingual is exactly how I feel right now. 

I say Ottawa embrace their partnership with l'Impact, embrace their identity as total outsiders, and focus on absolutely crushing CanPL teams in the V-Cup. 

Totally digging this vibe of league villain.