Ottawa CPL Club

On 2/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, SpursFlu said:

Remember when Shooter McGavin paid that guy to hassle Happy Gilmour. The" You jackass guy" Thats kinda like TFC and Ottawa Fury. The funny thing is OSEG thinks when MLSE brings the cheque for half their roster payroll, they think they're friends and they're going to Red Lobster together

How am I just reading this? Probably one of the funniest things I’ve seen on this board.  So damn accurate. 

Whatever sympathy I had for that organization went flying through the window after that unprofessional and immature rant.

I hope they go under and are replaced by a new organization that would seek CPL after they lose in CAS and CPL tells them to go fuck themselves once they turn around to join.

The league doesn't need that

What a bunch of bullshit from a Fury mouthpiece.  I am not sure wtf they think this accomplishes, but their salt-the-earth strategy when it comes to our national league and shitting on the CPL player pool is no way to win people over outside of your diehard anti-CPL base.  I suppose there may be one rationale - it may be their extended USL strategy by making CPL so pissed off and opposed to accepting your toxic club that they don't permit you in the league - and thus USL remains your only viable option to continue (as an "exceptional circumstance").  Either way, comments like this look petty and insecure.  And backhanded comments from a guy like JdG are bit of a kick in the teeth to those of us who have cheered him on. 

Whether you are a Fury supporter or not, this sort of bullshit should end.  No one in Canadian footy is going to benefit from it. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I suppose there may be one rationale - it may be their extended USL strategy by making CPL so pissed off and opposed to accepting your toxic club that they don't permit you in the league - and thus USL remains your only viable option to continue (as an "exceptional circumstance"). 

There's always L10

Seriously though, that is the only rationale I can think of for continued juvenile attacks on Canada's national footy league.  If CPL doesn't want the Fury in there because they are essentially a hostile force, Fury could petition CONCACAF and the CSA to continue providing sanction for the Fury to play in USL.  A league unwilling to accept them may be sufficient to constitute exceptional circumstances, and voila - Fury get to continue their subsidized ride in USL.

The big problem with this, of course, would be that the Ottawa market would continue to be excluded from CPL.  Barring a competing CPL team being founded in Ottawa, we would still be stuck with the continued non-participation of a major market - but in this case it also lacks benefit of also providing a higher level of opportunity for Canadian players and thus may warrant differentiation. 

No idea if i am right in guessing the rationale, but it is the only reason I can think of that would justify continued animosity and active attacks on CPL.   Most people and businesses would just move on - or at least keep their grumbling to themselves.  But public statements - by people close to the Fury organization - make it seem like there is more to this than hurt feelings. 

I’ve never seen a more insecure “professional” sports team.  You don’t even see this level of pettiness between fierce rivals.  

The 3rd round of the Voyageurs Cup is going to be like a title fight.  Who would have thought that the MLS v CPL match(es) would be secondary? 

Ottawa always manages to dig a deeper hole.  So much for their Canadian strategy - no established Canadian player in their right mind is going to sign there.  They are going to have to rely on loans and “home grown” signings to get Canadians. 

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

deeper hole.  So much for their Canadian strategy - no established Canadian player in their right mind is going to sign there.  They are going to have to rely on loans and “home grown” signings to get Canadians. 

Of course they can always rely on their academy. 

What?

Don't know... CONCACAF doesn't have to care about CPL not wanting them or not. No one can legally force a league to accept an ownership it doesn't want (NHL v. Balsillie).

CONCACAF point is that the level of play Ottawa is currently playing at "arguably" exists in Canada now, so the rationale of getting USL sanction holds no more.

However, CONCACAF doesn't micromanage like that either. It's really up to the Fury to conform to the league to be accepted. If they don't, that's not CONCACAF problem but I concede it's a headache for the CSA.

In a nutshell, Ottawa are digging themselves a bigger hole. They could be facing a denial of further sanctioning while being denied approval to join CPL at the same time. People shouldn't dismiss this scenario.

Sanctioning and league approvals are privileges, not rights. CPL doesn't have to do anything nor does CONCACAF

add: Of course, the league could end up accepting the Fury anyhow, but in a scenario where CONCACAF denies sanctioning, CAS deny them or they give up that avenue and L10 is not an option, CPL holds all the cards

I actually believe Clanachan when he says he has a good relationship with the Fury president but the league could tell them to

-Complete rebrand

-Blacklist/Refusing to work with some people currently with the Fury. (De Guzman and other negative big mouths)

Actually, that would be best for business. Let the Fury join when they have no choice but you dictate all the conditions in a take it or leave it scenario 

Edited by Ansem

8 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

Every anti-CPL comment out of the Fury seems to come from or is reported to come from JDG.  JDG doesn't have the greatest reputation  could it be that OSEG is more willing to be civil on this matter?

When past and/or present Fury mouthpieces are the ones tweeting those comments, it sort of indicates a level of endorsement.  If my boss doesn't agree with my opinion about person X, they wouldn't use social media channels to give it further reach.

I sure hope its the Ottawa reporters putting a slant on things (context etc) and not real venom coming from JDG.  Why would JDG have such a anti CPL opinion?  It seems like almost every other CMNT player has something positive to say about the new league

As far as the quotes about Bekker being the only player they would want......Haber, Fisk De Jong, Awuah wouldnt make the current Ottawa squad?  Come on....

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I sure hope its the Ottawa reporters putting a slant on things (context etc) and not real venom coming from JDG.  Why would JDG have such a anti CPL opinion?  It seems like almost every other CMNT player has something positive to say about the new league

As far as the quotes about Bekker being the only player they would want......Haber, Fisk De Jong, Awuah wouldnt make the current Ottawa squad?  Come on....

Keep in mind that Graeme Ivory had strong ties to OSEG, so is likely more than a media type going against the grain.

"Ivory comes to the town from the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), where he most recently held the position of director, communications and content. In this position he was responsible for the communications strategy relating to the OSEG brands: Ottawa Redblacks, Ottawa Fury FC, Ottawa 67's, TD Place and Lansdowne Live."

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/news-story/8578275-graeme-ivory-starts-may-14-as-the-new-manager-of-recreation-for-arnprior/

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

The only thing I can figure as to why JDG might be pissed about CPL is that it is just simply made his job as a GM much harder essentially overnight. Ottawa had it's pick of Canadian talent at this level...now they have to compete against 7 other teams.

That wouldn't explain the vitriol.  You might grumble about it, but a national team player wouldn't rip into our national leaguejust because it made things less cozy. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

That wouldn't explain the vitriol.  You might grumble about it, but a national team player wouldn't rip into our national leaguejust because it made things less cozy. 

It might if you've just started a career as a manager. Didn't he have a choice between being the coach or the GM of Ottawa? He chose manager. I suspect when his job hinges on recruiting players having the increased competition domestically doesn't make things easier.

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I was going to go compare Ottawa and CPL rosters to name everyone that is better, but decided it would take too long. Suffice to say, every CPL team has more than two players that have played at equal or better than USL level.

4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It might if you've just started a career as a manager. Didn't he have a choice between being the coach or the GM of Ottawa? He chose manager. I suspect when his job hinges on recruiting players having the increased competition domestically doesn't make things easier.

I still don't see that as being cause to discredit and attack a whole league - especially the national league of the country you repped.  Just doesn't compute for me.

Just now, Stryker911 said:

I was going to go compare Ottawa and CPL rosters to name everyone that is better, but decided it would take too long. Suffice to say, every CPL team has more than two players that have played at equal or better than USL level.

I know it probably won't happen in year one, but it is hard to describe how much joy it would bring me to have a CPL team rip Ottawa a new one in the V Cup.