Ottawa CPL Club

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I sure hope its the Ottawa reporters putting a slant on things (context etc) and not real venom coming from JDG.  Why would JDG have such a anti CPL opinion?  It seems like almost every other CMNT player has something positive to say about the new league

As far as the quotes about Bekker being the only player they would want......Haber, Fisk De Jong, Awuah wouldnt make the current Ottawa squad?  Come on....

As we sit, without having started, the CPL all-stars are a better squad on paper than what Fury has. 

Right now JDG's Fury is one of those clubs I would never want to join if they'd have me as a member!

CPL should just go ahead and pull a Chattanooga on Ottawa. If the Fury want to badmouth a Canadian league and act really petty, then let's put the hurt on them and drive them out of business.

And the Fury can laugh all they want when the CPL surpasses MLS, which will be less than 5 years from today.

Edited by PhillyJawn-guy

53 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

CPL should just go ahead and pull a Chattanooga on Ottawa. If the Fury want to badmouth a Canadian league and act really petty, then let's put the hurt on them and drive them out of business.

You mean like USL's Tampa Bay VSI attempt to pull a "Chattanooga" vs NASL's Tampa Bay Rowdies? Didn't work out well for the one and done USL team.

Edited by CDNFootballer

2 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

And the Fury can laugh all they want when the CPL surpasses MLS, which will be less than 5 years from today.

Can we all take a moment to appreciate that a guy based in Philadelphia is asking Canadian fans, in a Canadian supporters group, to drive a Canadian company that is one of 4 established clubs (5 if Edmonton is included) that has actually kicked a ball in the last decade out of business?

One that employs a ton of Canadian players, and hires Canadians to work in its administration, I will add. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is pretty telling that the main characters defending the Fury's tactics either are or were on their payroll.

I admittedly haven't followed too closely, but I'd go so far as to say almost ALL of the characters defending them fit that description. I feel like when they announced they weren't in CPL, there was a lot of disappointment from Fury fans. Then tweets like this seem to be universally criticized. 

Are Fury fans as irritated by this as the rest of us? 

46 minutes ago, Copes said:

I admittedly haven't followed too closely, but I'd go so far as to say almost ALL of the characters defending them fit that description. I feel like when they announced they weren't in CPL, there was a lot of disappointment from Fury fans. Then tweets like this seem to be universally criticized. 

I don't know if I'm a Fury fan anymore but in the past I've attended 5-10 games per season and I own a De Guz, Dixon and a couple blank jerseys.

I understand and respect the decision the Fury made but it's the rhetoric and how they've gone about dispensing it that has really turned me off the team. I've voiced my displeasure to OSEG reps and have been met with mostly apathy. 

52 minutes ago, Copes said:

No real idea, but at the risk of oversimplifying it seems like there are two camps:

• those who accepted the CONCACAF version of events and are annoyed with the club (and are pro CPL), and
  • those who accepted the Fury version of events and are now pretty anti-CPL

In fairness, I guess there are probably folks who will cont9inue to cheer for their team even thought they would have preferred a less adversarial stance towards CPL.

To me, the big factor will be what their ticket sales look like this year.  If it takes a dip, it is fair to say that the Fury probably overplayed their hand and/or misread the market.  But if support remains unchanged (or even gets a CPL bump) the front office will probably feel a bit validated.

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 2/10/2019 at 8:18 AM, Ams1984 said:

Lots of hypotheticals in there. The fact is that the Fury have acted poorly, and as a poster above said, they could’ve sculpted the message very differently. That being said, I am a business person, and I remember when a bank I thought I had a good relationship with said (paraphrasing) ‘now that your father is dead, we’re going to wait and see whether we want to deepen our relationship with you’. I no longer have accounts with that bank. I get that the bank didn’t owe me anything, I get that it may have been prudent or whatever to be less enthusiastic about me than my father, but I don’t want to do business with people who don’t believe in me or what I’m doing. 

From a fan’s perspective, I’m over the Fury, they only exist on the border of irrelevance now, merely kept buoyant in my thoughts by my disdain for them, 

From a business man’s perspective, I think that the Fury have alienated most Canadian fans, and have probably burned the CPL bridge. Even if cooler heads prevail and the league were to decide to welcome the Fury after this nonsense, many fans -like me- wouldn’t be happy about it, 

From a human perspective, something I’m invested in was rejected by the Fury, in a shitty way. You don’t tell someone (or a group of people) that you might later wish to have a relationship with, that you’ll ‘wait and see’ if they can ‘prove themselves’. Not if you want to ever have a decent relationship with them. 

I disagree with what the Fury did, but I’m especially angry about their dishonesty and their arrogance. (it was salary cap concerns that precluded them from joining the CPL, then they dump half their roster... wtf?) then the whole sanctioning thing? They need special treatment or else their being treated unfairly? 

I could go on, but I think you get what I’m saying. 

Your a business person right? Well in the end if everything works out the Fury will be in and if the CPL lasts no one but a few of us soccer nerds on here will remember all this. Unless there is another money guy in Ottawa willing to put up a soccer pop up stadium in Ottawa and go head to head with the Fury owners it’s the Fury who will be coming to a CPL stadium near us all one day soon. The CPL needs an Ottawa team and agree or disagree in how this was all handled in the end I’m pretty certain it will be the Fury in the CPL. 

39 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Your a business person right? Well in the end if everything works out the Fury will be in and if the CPL lasts no one but a few of us soccer nerds on here will remember all this. Unless there is another money guy in Ottawa willing to put up a soccer pop up stadium in Ottawa and go head to head with the Fury owners it’s the Fury who will be coming to a CPL stadium near us all one day soon. The CPL needs an Ottawa team and agree or disagree in how this was all handled in the end I’m pretty certain it will be the Fury in the CPL.  

Yes but this could also happen if it does end up with the Fury in CPL. Sure they get in but they will have lost any bargaining chips they originally had. Most likely will have to do whatever the league tells them to do.

CPL to the Fury now willing (having no choice but to join)

g1372094422998262280.jpg

OSEG CPL Team (formerly known as the Ottawa Fury)

9fde09e26c52bb0d7307e7b2c005450d79f79db8

I have massive doubts that in such a scenario, they keep their logo, let alone their name. Some of the more "vocal staff" will most likely have to be gone. The league would never put up with JDG as GM. Expect a complete rebranding. It's delusional to expect the Fury to get in "as is" if they pursue all options (CAS, war with FIFA, bad PR with CPL) and fail which would further damage the relationship with the league.

It's also a good business decision to "negotiate" with a party who has nothing to bargain with. Ottawa is a when, not if, but in regards to OSEG, they join and do what they're told or they refuse and fold which opens the door wide open for CPL to have a new club in the city.

Edited by Ansem

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yes but this could also happen if it does end up with the Fury in CPL. Sure they get in but they will have lost any bargaining chips they originally had. Most likely will have to do whatever the league tells them to do.

I have massive doubts that in such a scenario, they keep their logo, let alone their name. Some of the more "vocal staff" will most likely have to be gone. The league would never put up with JDG as GM.

CPL to the Fury now willing (having no choice but to join)

g1372094422998262280.jpg

OSEG CPL Team (formerly known as the Ottawa Fury)

9fde09e26c52bb0d7307e7b2c005450d79f79db8

What does the league gain for that?!

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What does the league gain for that?!

They gain

• an existing organization to build upon
  • existing fan base
  • Existing and great stadium
  • 5th biggest market in Canada
  • Absolute control over that team without having to make any concessions like they were willing to do the 1st time (branding, name, etc...)

On top of that, they can demand that the like of JDG be removed.

Yeah, I have been a pretty vocal critic of the Fury FO during this, but I don't see any of that happening.  To the casual fan it would be unnecessary since most likely have no idea of this battle between CPL/Fury/CONCACAF.  And to those who know, some rebranding and shuffling of the deck chairs wouldn't change the fact that the ownership group has presumably sanctioned the tactics we have witnessed.

They will get in or not based on what is best for all parties, but i can't see that laundry list of demands being made.  Plus, I would rather CPL stick to the high ground on this one and let the Fury be the ones getting down in the muck. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They gain

• an existing organization to build upon
  • existing fan base
  • Existing and great stadium
  • 5th biggest market in Canada
  • Absolute control over that team without having to make any concessions like they were willing to do the 1st time (branding, name, etc...)

On top of that, they can demand that the like of JDG be removed.

I understand why the CPL would want a club in Ottawa, my question was in regards to the part I bolded about changing the name and logo.

Why would the league want to take in a team only to tear down the brand that has already been built in the market?!