Ottawa CPL Club

11 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

USL isn’t booting them out and CONCACAF won’t try and force them again in the future. So if the CPL is crapping the bed, what’s their incentive?  

I love how some Fury hardcore don't understand how this works

1. No USL isn't booting them out but wouldn't loose sleep over them being gone
  2. CONCACAF will absolutely deny 2020 sanctioning. The exceptional clause does not apply and this time, the "short notice" excuse won't apply. You need to stop thinking that they are bigger than FIFA
  3. Hey, who needs extra cash from a media company for the next 10 years? Granted that the media deal was not on the table when they had to make a decision last fall, but now... they'd be foolish to not reconsider and put JDG's mouth on a leash
Edited by Ansem

8 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

USL isn’t booting them out and CONCACAF won’t try and force them again in the future. So if the CPL is crapping the bed, what’s their incentive?  

In what way is the CPL crapping it’s bed?

im willing to bet that the Fury will in fact be denied sanctioning to play in the USL in 2020, and the CPL May no longer want the losers at OSEG. We certainly don’t need them. At this point there’s a WAY bigger chance that the Fury goes broke than the CPL. 

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I love how some Fury hardcore don't understand how this works

1. No USL iksn't booting them out but wouldn't loose sleep over them being gone
  2. CONCACAF will absolutely deny 2020 sanctioning. The exceptional clause does not apply and this time, the "short notice" excuse won't apply. You need to stop thinking that they are bigger than FIFA
  3. Hey, who needs extra cash from a media company for the next 10 years? Granted that the media deal was not on the table when they had top make a decision last fall, but now... they'd be foolish to not reconsider and put JDG's mouth on a leash

I don't wanna say absolutely but they probably will. Unless the circumstance is related to getting bankrupted (which that could be what they argue) there's no real finance thing anymore.

It's important to note, it was reported the USL clubs weren't big on international travel.

I think it's likely we don't see Fury join next year but we do see them give a timeline (like we join in 2022) and everyone is fine with that timeline.

Edited by matty

3 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

In what way is the CPL crapping it’s bed?

im willing to bet that the Fury will in fact be denied sanctioning to play in the USL in 2020, and the CPL May no longer want the losers at OSEG. We certainly don’t need them. At this point there’s a WAY bigger chance that the Fury goes broke than the CPL. 

See there’s that butthurtedness that keeps ringing thru from many so called Canadian soccer fans. 

1 minute ago, Ottawafan74 said:

See there’s that butthurtedness that keeps ringing thru from many so called Canadian soccer fans. 

Not ‘butthurt’... just seeing things a little more clearly than you. Let me ask you something:

If the CPL acted poorly with the Fury and is ‘crapping the bed’, and all 7 teams’ fans have a problem because they’re butt hurt, if Concacaf has a problem because they’re ‘unfair’, why doesn’t it cross your mind that the common denominator is OSEG. OSEG has the problem. 

39 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s funny how worked up some Canadian soccer fans get when someone voices a different view. 

Seriously? You come onto a Canadian soccer supporters site and start shit talking the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer... What do you expect?

What is funny is how worked up OSEG mouth pieces like Jakubec, Ivory, JdG and FuryFanatic get about Concacaf. That’s funny.

What’s also funny is how you keep dodging my question.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Seriously? You come onto a Canadian soccer supporters site and start shit talking the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer... What do you expect?

What is funny is how worked up OSEG mouth pieces like Jakubec, Ivory, JdG and FuryFanatic get about Concacaf. That’s funny.

it was also kind of funny how pissed some Vs got when ottawa didn't join. like the hate was over the top

On a more important note, it will be up to Valour or HFX to carry the CPL flag into battle against the Ottawa Fury in the Voyageurs Cup (unless of course Vaughan perform some spectacular giant killing). July 10 (H) / 24 (A).

THAT is what I am interested in. Bring it ON!!

Going down going down going down,

Going down going down going dooooooown!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sz58WAWmiY

Edited by dsqpr

10 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

On a more important note, it will be up to Valour or HFX to carry the CPL flag into battle against the Ottawa Fury in the Voyageurs Cup (unless of course Vaughan perform some spectacular giant killing). July 10 (H) / 24 (A).

I’m actually not looking forward to that. I’d like to see the CPL team win because it would be great to see them up against an MLS team but no matter who wins it’ll be a lot “See! They suck!”

Although I will be at TD Place to witness it.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

13 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

There's gotta be a better more Canadian song that uses "going down" to prevent us from just stealing every chant from a Euro club? *googles "going down" and "peaches". sees no song by peaches using the term "going down" aside from 'downtown' which uses "go down" instead of "going down". is shocked*

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

My opinions are based on what I’ve heard. There are other entities involved. 

3 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

"I’ve heard it’s in complete disarray"

Heard where? Why don't you elaborate instead of ducking the question?

Goes against what most others are saying and the facts of what the CPL has so far accomplished. The league is getting very good PR on how its launching the league from quite a few places.

Think I know who you are from another medium, and what you claim your hearing and who its from is of no concern.

1 hour ago, matty said:

There's gotta be a better more Canadian song that uses "going down" to prevent us from just stealing every chant from a Euro club? *googles "going down" and "peaches". sees no song by peaches using the term "going down" aside from 'downtown' which uses "go down" instead of "going down". is shocked*

I am open to suggestions. That one was just "off the cuff" to get us in the mood.

3 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Let’s wait and see how it all plays out. Again I wouldn’t count on CONCACAF stepping in again. 

You’re a clown, you’re a fool and you’re terribly misinformed. Will gladly take an infraction or warning for this btw totally worth it.

youre coming on here and spewing random shit with no proof whatsoever.

Billion dollar Volkswagen is going to become founding partner with a league that is in complete disarray ? Sure bud, they would so do that.

Bob Young, Spruce Meadows, Jim B and Co, the guys at Pacific FC and the Valour are gonna lose 10M next year and fold ? Sure bud, 10 M is nothing to these guys.

Media pro deal wasn’t known to the Fury ? Sure it wasn’t, cause deals like this happen over night mate... they take months.

oh but wait the league is gonna fold after 1 year when it’s getting say 15M minimum revenue in its first year from media pro alone ? And I guess Volkswagen isn’t paying anything to the league right ? Neither is Marcon ? 

The league hasn’t kicked a ball yet and is probably more financially secure than for the foreseeable future than most leagues in the world... that’s beyond impressive. Between its 3 major sponsors each team should easily reap a cool 3M per year in revenue before anything else and that’s not counting a potential food and beer deal which is surely around the corner along with local partners... so why don’t you run back to USL which bleeds money everyone year and stfu about the CPL.

also, Ottawa would know about all of these announced deals and deals that are to be announced, as these things take months. 

Enough from you, to cry to Julian I’m sure he’ll listen to you. 

Edited by Dominic94

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

You’re a clown, you’re a fool and you’re terribly misinformed. Will gladly take an infraction or warning for this btw totally worth it.

This forum is more or less self moderating so you are fine. Generally a good rule to not personally insult other posters but in this particular case I think he earned it. Definitely coming across as a troll.

Edited by dsqpr

39 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

..Media pro deal wasn’t known to the Fury ? Sure it wasn’t, cause deals like this happen over night mate... they take months...

...also, Ottawa would know about all of these announced deals and deals that are to be announced, as these things take months. 

I agree with a lot of your talking points but do take some issue with these two.

I honestly do not think the deal was as valuable at the time the Fury opted not to join (if it was in existence at that point). Like if the Fury said no to joining a league that was on the verge of that deal they'd be completely insane and monoric. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say I don't think they're that insane or stupid. They've acted very cautious and self-preservationist for the last 6 months and them saying no to that deal doesn't fit with their actions. On top of that, the ownership have proven capable in the CFL so they're not complete jackasses.

The last part, yes they take months but they don't take 4-6 months to hammer out the main details. Last September, when all this started (not counting the 2 months prior they hadn't spoken), it's very possible the VW and MediaPro deals weren't near the levels they've reached as the fan commitments had not yet fully started and the league had not yet set how many teams it would feature. The finalization of the number of teams and the successes of the founding members drives likely happened before the $200m deal was on the table or VW decided to become the founding partner. The only deal that Ottawa would have known was Macron, who are still pretty unknown in North America.

Yes Ottawa bet on the wrong horse but let's not just bluntly imply they're run by a bunch of completely braindead goons. I know this guy is getting to people but fuck him, he's not worth it.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

...oh but wait the league is gonna fold after 1 year when it’s getting say 15M minimum revenue in its first year from media pro alone ? And I guess Volkswagen isn’t paying anything to the league right ? Neither is Marcon ?

What was mentioned in the press releases was an "investment" rather than revenue. Around a year ago David Clanachan described $500 million in projected economic activity associated with operating the league over the next decade as being an investment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/01/14/clarifying-investment-of-500m-in-the-new-canadian-premier-and-spitballing-budget-numbers/#5b5f44255bdd

...I received a prompt response from Greg McIsaac who is handling communications for the CPL.

“I am confirming that that the Commissioner was speaking colloquially to Kurt Larson. He was making a general reference to the economic activity that will be driven through the CPL’s development of players, coaches, administrators and the overall professionalising of the game in Canada.”

Given that the context of $500M over 10 years is "economic activity" it changes my understanding of the level of spending across the league...

The Mediapro deal is probably very beneficial to the league, time will tell, but some people on here are making some very big assumptions about it right now that may not prove to be warranted.

9 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It’s your opinion that I’m talking shit. All I’m doing is passing on what I’ve heard from those who are reliable and close to the situation. Sorry it doesn’t jive with your roses and rainbow view of this new league or your blind hatred for one of the few soccer clubs that has shown a willingness to play Canadian soccer players. 

Edited by Ottawafan74

15 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s your opinion that I’m talking shit. All I’m doing is passing on what I’ve heard from those who are reliable and close to the situation. Sorry it doesn’t jive with your roses and rainbow view of this new league or your blind hatred for one of the few soccer clubs that has shown a willingness to play Canadian soccer. 

Not at all shitting on Ottawa as much as some. I do think they'll be playing in CPL next year or not playing at all. 

I don't think you're talking shit.

I do think you've dodged the question about who these "reliable and close to the situation" people are. You don't have to name names, but give us some context here. Do they work for the Fury in some capacity? Inside CPL HQ? Reporters? Players? 

Without that, it is hard to take your claims seriously. Watch this. 

I hear what you're saying about the Fury, but honestly, I've got a few connections and I've heard on my end that they are actually actively working with CPL to get all their ducks in a row for 2020. The announcement is planned for this summer, around the Gold Cup. Fury is almost guaranteed to be team #9. #8 we will be hearing about shortly after the league kicks off.

Edited by Copes

32 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s your opinion that I’m talking shit. All I’m doing is passing on what I’ve heard from those who are reliable and close to the situation. Sorry it doesn’t jive with your roses and rainbow view of this new league or your blind hatred for one of the few soccer clubs that has shown a willingness to play Canadian soccer players. 

I think he asked a legit question.  

And Buzz & Sting has been one of the biggest supporters of the Ottawa Fury for as long as I've known him.  But just because he doesn't agree with OSEG's current view of the CPL does not mean that he has a blind hatred of the Fury.  In fact, he has acknowledged the importance of the club in employing Canadians in the past and now.  Plus I think for the good of Canadian soccer (which is what this board is about), we should all wish the CPL tons of success...even though we all have varying degrees of what that will be and how long it'll take to get there.  If that's roses and rainbows, then so be it.

Edited by JamboAl