Ottawa CPL Club

31 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s your opinion that I’m talking shit. All I’m doing is passing on what I’ve heard from those who are reliable and close to the situation. Sorry it doesn’t jive with your roses and rainbow view of this new league or your blind hatred for one of the few soccer clubs that has shown a willingness to play Canadian soccer players. 

Ottawa front office aren't close to the "situation". 

10 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

See there’s that butthurtedness that keeps ringing thru from many so called Canadian soccer fans. 

You have been asked where you "heard" the league was in disarray - which is the foundation of many of your claims.  You haven't indicated any sort of reliable source.  Instead, you seem to want to antagonize the pro-CPL folks on this thread - which is about an Ottawa based CPL club after all. 

If you have something of substance that backs up your claims, by all means share it.  Otherwise, don't be surprised when people accept the hundreds of millions on investment made by astute business people as a more solid indication of probable success than an anonymous internet poster claiming he "heard" something.

59 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s your opinion that I’m talking shit. All I’m doing is passing on what I’ve heard from those who are reliable and close to the situation. Sorry it doesn’t jive with your roses and rainbow view of this new league or your blind hatred for one of the few soccer clubs that has shown a willingness to play Canadian soccer players. 

Well if this statement is any indication of your ability to interpret a persons opinion I have no faith in what you say. Check my post history, I have no hatred towards the Fury and have been a supporter since before the NASL days. 

And yes you're are talking shit because you give no context for what you say. You claim to have information from people who are "reliable" and "close" to the situation but you refuse to elaborate on who that is or what exactly they've said, it's just generalities from a mysterious source. To me that's talking shit.

Now if you came in here and said "I've heard from someone who works at X and they've said that the league has not been able to do Y or Z" than I would actually put a little stock into what you say. Currently you just come off as another Fury fan boy troll.

41 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well if this statement is any indication of your ability to interpret a persons opinion I have no faith in what you say. Check my post history, I have no hatred towards the Fury and have been a supporter since before the NASL days. 

And yes you're are talking shit because you give no context for what you say. You claim to have information from people who are "reliable" and "close" to the situation but you refuse to elaborate on who that is or what exactly they've said, it's just generalities from a mysterious source. To me that's talking shit.

Now if you came in here and said "I've heard from someone who works at X and they've said that the league has not been able to do Y or Z" than I would actually put a little stock into what you say. Currently you just come off as another Fury fan boy troll.

I can’t believe I have to explain to you how it works. Obviously if I could say who passed this info along I would have. But soccer is a small community and putting that out there isn’t in the best interests of said individuals. 

Congrats on being a longtime fan of the Fury. As have I. And as I’ve stated numerous times I think the CPL is a great idea and necessary for the development of the game. I’ve also stated the Fury should be in the league, but not forced into it. Bullying them was the wrong tactic. And it is apparent that the league is going to have some growing pains in their first few seasons. Fury shouldn’t be forced into a gong show, which according to some sources, is what’s happening. 

Let’s see how it plays out. The success of the league will come from eyeballs on tv and butts in the seats. If organizations don’t field quality teams with quality players all the money in the world won’t change those facts. 

22 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah but in fairness to Ottawa...this deal was very likely not even on the radar when they had to make a decision last year. So i think this is a bit disingenuous.

Now going forward...it becomes a little harder to to say "we need to wait and see".

Actually the announcement the league had hired very reputable ThePostGame to broker their media rights was made in mid August of last year. 

Now if you look at that company, and then figure they are a bunch of chumps, you are most definitely not doing your due diligence. 

30 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I can’t believe I have to explain to you how it works. Obviously if I could say who passed this info along I would have. But soccer is a small community and putting that out there isn’t in the best interests of said individuals. 

Congrats on being a longtime fan of the Fury. As have I. And as I’ve stated numerous times I think the CPL is a great idea and necessary for the development of the game. I’ve also stated the Fury should be in the league, but not forced into it. Bullying them was the wrong tactic. And it is apparent that the league is going to have some growing pains in their first few seasons. Fury shouldn’t be forced into a gong show, which according to some sources, is what’s happening. 

Let’s see how it plays out. The success of the league will come from eyeballs on tv and butts in the seats. If organizations don’t field quality teams with quality players all the money in the world won’t change those facts. 

Fair enough that you feel even a bit context would out your source but you could at least provide some tangible examples as to why you/they believe the CPL is a mess. If the situation is as you describe there should be many people who are aware and it shouldn't jeopardize your source. If you can't do that then you're posting vague accusations from anonymous sources with no context and you should expect a ton of push back and you shouldn't act as you put it "butthurt." 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Bullying them was the wrong tactic. And it is apparent that the league is going to have some growing pains in their first few seasons. Fury shouldn’t be forced into a gong show, which according to some sources, is what’s happening. 

This is the part that frustrates me with Fury fans.

CONCACAF bullied the Fury not CPL.

CPL wanted them in at launch and practically let them have whatever they wanted for the 1st season.

But Fury fans like Fanatic, JDG and you go on social medias and dump on CPL directly or passive-aggressively over their current predicament by being negative about the league.This is where the sympathy for the Fury and their mouthpiece go flying out the window.

They have the right to complain about what happened but leave CPL out of it. EVERYONE here recognize the Fury contribution to Canadian Soccer. However, it isn't enough and status quo hasn't produce results, hence the need of the CPL which should not be seen as a mean to dismiss what the Fury has done.

Keep this up and the hate towards the Fury will increase so I suggest that you pass that on to whoever your "sources" are...:angry:

Edited by Ansem

I would also point out that if the sources are in the Fury organization, they aren't exactly a source of unbiased info ATM.  In the context of the various negative statements regarding CPL, made by people with strong ties to the Fury - and some outright silly (e.g. JdG's comments on the CPL player pool) - I wouldn't take much of what they said as gospel.  

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL wanted them in at launch and practically let them have whatever they wanted for the 1st season.

But Fury fans like Fanatic, JDG and you go on social medias and dump on CPL directly or passive-aggressively over their current predicament by being negative about the league.This is where the sympathy for the Fury and their mouthpiece go flying out the window.

They have the right to complain about what happened but leave CPL out of it. EVERYONE here recognize the Fury contribution to Canadian Soccer. However, it isn't enough and status quo hasn't produce results, hence the need of the CPL which should not be seen as a mean to dismiss what the Fury has done.

Keep this up and the hate towards the Fury will increase so I suggest that you pass that on to whoever your "sources" are...:angry:

CONCACAF on behalf of the CPL tried to force the Fury in.  The two are tied together on this issue. 

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

...Let’s see how it plays out. The success of the league will come from eyeballs on tv and butts in the seats. If organizations don’t field quality teams with quality players all the money in the world won’t change those facts. 

How the fanbase is going to react to the quality of soccer provided by rosters that are a lot heavier than would have been anticipated a year ago on players stepping up from a semi-pro sort of level is definitely the big unknown right now. 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

CONCACAF on behalf of the CPL tried to force the Fury in.  The two are tied together on this issue. 

What evidence do you have that CONCACAF acted on behalf of the CPL?

I don't really expect you to answer because all you have done so far on this thread is spout wild accusations and theories without a single shred of evidence. In other words, you are just a shit-talker with no credibility whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

How the fanbase is going to react to the quality of soccer provided by rosters that are a lot heavier than would have been anticipated a year ago on players stepping up from a semi-pro sort of level is definitely the big unknown right now. 

I don't know my left wing anarchist philosophers well enough to pick my school, but I believe the league is doing exactly the right thing and exactly what it is mandated to do by casting a wide net to find any players that have slipped through the cracks. Ultimately, I think the goal must be to have the Russell Teiberts, Samuel Piettes and Jonathan Osorios of the world playing in the CPL. To me, that's the ceiling in quality. We should not expect players like Alphonso Davies to play their entire career here. At least not in my lifetime.

MLS's great failing in my view is that they have not established a proper developmental system where 18 year-olds, who are not super stars like Davies, can break into the domestic league. CPL will provide this immediately and we need to be careful how much we ratchet up the level. Let's remember that selling young players is a viable business model. I think the CPL is extremely wise to align itself with Europe and not the United States in this regard. MLS are only now starting to have any interest in their players abroad. This could have started so much sooner with a proper model, in my view.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Please don’t paint all Fury fans with the same brush.  This is not a black and white issue with the Fury and the CPL.  I still support the club and the CPL and do not see any conspiracy with the CPL.  I also see the value of the USL as a strong league in the US soccer system and in the Canadian one as long as the Fury are in and still playing Canadian players.  (This is also a biased and unique view as I have closer links to the US than most people on the forum.)

There will not be an excuse for the Fury to be in USL if we all hope and think the CPL will be successful.  That will be in 2020 or later, but it will happen not because they will be forced in but because it will make sense.

After I typed this in, I just realized that I might sound a bit like some of the Fury people that have been dissed here.  But it’s my opinion right now.

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Please don’t paint all Fury fans with the same brush.  This is not a black and white issue with the Fury and the CPL.  I still support the club and the CPL and do not see any conspiracy with the CPL.  I also see the value of the USL as a strong league in the US soccer system and in the Canadian one as long as the Fury are in and still playing Canadian players.  (This is also a biased and unique view as I have closer links to the US than most people on the forum.)

There will not be an excuse for the Fury to be in USL if we all hope and think the CPL will be successful.  That will be in 2020 or later, but it will happen not because they will be forced in but because it will make sense.

After I typed this in, I just realized that I might sound a bit like some of the Fury people that have been dissed here.  But it’s my opinion right now.

No worries JamboAl, none of this is directed at you brother.  And we realize half the Fury fans want CPL.

Any comments dissing Fury are directed at trolls coming on the forum or Fury staff/cronies making public remarks dissing CPL.

You will notice the difference between how CPL conduct themselves and the Fury organization:  CPL have exhibited business acumen and class by not taking any public shots at the Fury or USL.  They won't take the bait.  Meanwhile, the Fury and their trolls continue to publicly slander CPL ("Belgian Third Division players").   Pathetic.

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

No worries JamboAl, none of this is directed at you brother.  And we realize half the Fury fans want CPL.

Any comments dissing Fury are directed at trolls coming on the forum or Fury staff/cronies making public remarks dissing CPL.

You will notice the difference between how CPL conduct themselves and the Fury organization:  CPL have exhibited business acumen and class by not taking any public shots at the Fury or USL.  They won't take the bait.  Meanwhile, the Fury and their trolls continue to publicly slander CPL ("Belgian Third Division players").   Pathetic.

To be fair:

Janssens, 20, joins Valour FC from RAAL La Louvière of the Belgian Football League’s Third Division.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-sign-goalkeeper-mathias-janssens

But that sarcastic shot is entirely disingenuous and intentionally misses the point that this player is 20 years old, which is particularly young for a goalie. Janssens has a long way to go before he fully matures so who knows how good he could become. Rob Gale obviously sees a lot of potential. CPL will be a competitive league first and foremost, but one that recognizes that a big part of its place in the football world will be to develop youngsters who can go on to play at a (possibly much) higher level. All CPL teams will have players like this. USL teams should have players like this. To try to take a shot at CPL by sarcastically pointing to where a raw young goalkeeper was playing previously just makes you look like a fool (or someone with an agenda ?).

Edited by dsqpr

30 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

To be fair:

Janssens, 20, joins Valour FC from RAAL La Louvière of the Belgian Football League’s Third Division.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-sign-goalkeeper-mathias-janssens

But that sarcastic shot is entirely disingenuous and intentionally misses the point that this player is 20 years old, which is particularly young for a goalie. Janssens has a long way to go before he fully matures so who knows how good he could become. Rob Gale obviously sees a lot of potential. CPL will be a competitive league first and foremost, but one that recognizes that a big part of its place in the football world will be to develop youngsters who can go on to play at a (possibly much) higher level. All CPL teams will have players like this. USL teams should have players like this. To try to take a shot at CPL by sarcastically pointing to where a raw young goalkeeper was playing previously just makes you look like a fool (or someone with an agenda ?).

JDG says want a striker that is familiar or experienced in USL. Not interested in the "player from Belgian 3rd division who scored 20 goals last season"

I'm referring to a former OSEG employee who last week via twitter, took a shot at CPL signings.