Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Wouldnt be surprised if most if not all foreign player spots are taken by players from:

Atletico
Atletico B
Atletico San Luis
Famalicao

Especially with the short lead up to the season.  I expect the roster to be made up of Athletico B and Athletico U21 players is plus former Fury players who are not signed.

They could be cohesive quickly  and good if built properly. 

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Have heard from a former Ottawa player that the players were all unaware of this.  All were told to find new clubs. 

Interesting. Has this player moved on? Nothing to say some werent shoulder tapped. These are essentially new bosses though so old bosses likely did tell them that. 

24 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Told to find new clubs by who?

I didn’t ask them to specify but management supposedly.  

23 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Interesting. Has this player moved on? Nothing to say some werent shoulder tapped. These are essentially new bosses though so old bosses likely did tell them that. 

Yes he has moved on and confirmed that they had no clue about the possibility of a new team in Ottawa. 
FWIW the OneSoccer guys said that the CPL had given the new team a list of 40 players possibly including local lad Zoom. Ben Fisk was also mentioned and would seem a perfect fit along with Misik who also played in Spain. 

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Why would those match-ups not work?

Pacific vs Edmonton -> winner vs Vancouver

York 9 vs Masters FA -> winner vs Toronto

Halifax vs Blainville  -> winner vs Montreal

Valour vs Forge -> winner vs ?

Ottawa vs Cavalry -> winner vs ?

You must be thinking that Valour/Forge winner could play Ottawa vs Cavalry winner. Theoretically that could work, but isn't that unfairly punishing Cavalry? The Cavs advanced past Vancouver last year, so if any of those teams must drop a round, shouldn't it be the Whitecaps?

Such a move wouldn't be good for the sporting integrity of the tournament. It would make last year's results meaningless. People would accuse the organizers of MLS favoritism. The optics wouldn't be good. 

So while the match ups could work, I don't think they would work, if you know what I mean..

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Sigh. I would say that I don't hate it but there were a lot of better alternatives IMHO. Not surprising though. I'll learn to live with it and cheer hard against Atletico Madrid in future.

It's marginally better than Real Salt Lake, due to the fact that Athletico are the owners. 

I guess it's actually more akin to New York City FC.

Like most people, I typically don't like such naming, but the reason why I don't mind it (in this case) is because it's a break from the standard CPL names, such as Valour FC, York 9 FC, Cavalry FC, Pacific FC...I have grown to like such names, but they are all cut from the same cloth, wouldn't you say?

Athletico Ottawa adds some variety....

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

We just have to hope that this is more successful than the last time a La Liga team tried to operate a team in North America with Rayo OKC. That was a dumpster fire to say the least. 

Different situation with an existing pro team that Rayo OKC was competing with in the market.

On the field they weren't a dumpster fire however, with a quality roster of players (none from Rayo Vallecano) that were close to making the NASL Soccer Bowl final that year losing 2-1 to the New York Cosmos in the semi-final, and a 4th place finish out of 12 teams in the regular season.

3 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Different situation with an existing pro team that Rayo OKC was competing with in the market.

On the field they weren't a dumpster fire however, with a quality roster of players (none from Rayo Vallecano) that were close to making the NASL Soccer Bowl final that year losing 2-1 to the New York Cosmos in the semi-final, and a 4th place finish out of 12 teams in the regular season.

Off the field it was a mess, one of the American owners at one point in the middle of the night removed some of the pitch. Plus you got the Blackjacks tipping off in the CEBL so they will be competing for ticket buyers. The family looking for a cheap, fun time out will look to both. 

21 minutes ago, Lofty said:

^^ Yes, it adds some variety but not all variety is good. There is nothing Spanish about Ottawa no matter who owns the football team. That name would be a big turn-off for me if I lived there.

I'd hate for CPL to start being divided based along national lines.

Can't wait for Lyon Saskatoon and Juventus Kitchener.

Hertha Kitchener or Union Kitchener would be the greatest name and anyone who doesn't think so needs a history lesson.

33 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Off the field it was a mess, one of the American owners at one point in the middle of the night removed some of the pitch. Plus you got the Blackjacks tipping off in the CEBL so they will be competing for ticket buyers. The family looking for a cheap, fun time out will look to both. 

It’ll be really interesting to see how the crowds are for the Blackjacks and Atletico Ottawa.  The Blackjacks have a very powerful GM and coach behind them both from the Carleton University basketball factory.  Really looking forward to watching both teams this summer - don’t know how much of a crossover of fans there will be.

Edited by JamboAl

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Pacific vs Edmonton -> winner vs Vancouver

York 9 vs Masters FA -> winner vs Toronto

Halifax vs Blainville  -> winner vs Montreal

Valour vs Forge -> winner vs ?

Ottawa vs Cavalry -> winner vs ?

You must be thinking that Valour/Forge winner could play Ottawa vs Cavalry winner. Theoretically that could work, but isn't that unfairly punishing Cavalry? The Cavs advanced past Vancouver last year, so if any of those teams must drop a round, shouldn't it be the Whitecaps?

Such a move wouldn't be good for the sporting integrity of the tournament. It would make last year's results meaningless. People would accuse the organizers of MLS favoritism. The optics wouldn't be good. 

So while the match ups could work, I don't think they would work, if you know what I mean..

There already is MLS favouritism. The Whitecaps got a bye over Forge FC. The team who finished bottom of the Western Conference last season in MLS got a bye over the national champions. If that isn't a bias towards the MLS clubs, I don't know what is....🙄