Ottawa CPL Club

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

So were the Fury not directly owned by OSEG, I have read that Jeff Hunt pulled out of the Fury but I do not see how that can happen as I thought OSEG owned the team. Jeff is one of five owners of OSEG. 

OSEG is a trade name, not the actually company name. “OSEG” proper is actually Capital Gridiron LTD or something like that and it has 4 partners, Shenkamn, Greenberg, Ruddy and Hunt. The Fury was a separate partnership which included those 4 and John Pugh. Hunt divested himself of the Fury venture in 2018.

Very obvious from that video that, not only will Ottawa have an all-black kit, but several clubs will begin to sign cuddly middle-age guys with an adorable beer gut. 

(Sorry, no malice intended. Just a poor attempt at humor. Totally stoked about all this. Brilliant piece of marketing btw).

Ottawa, welcome!

Edited by IAmPappy

3 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

Very obvious from that video that, not only will Ottawa have an all-black kit, but several clubs will begin to sign cuddly middle-age guys with an adorable beer gut. 

(Sorry, no malice intended. Just a poor attempt at humor. Totally stoked about all this. Brilliant piece of marketing btw).

Ottawa, welcome!

I just assumed the elevator meant they were announcing promotion and relegation!!

I am wondering if they'll put the announcement back until next week, or at least the official presentation.

I am thinking this as this week they are playing Real Madrid at 4 local time Saturday, and usually that means the front office has be around, there are related activities and press obligations galore. Assuming, of course, that they'd go to Ottawa with the majority shareholder Gil Marín and many others, including press and communications, perhaps the people running the academy, merchandising---you can't make that trip and rush back that easily.

ps, wrote this withouth seeing the previous post, which is simulaneous. But to me it makes sense, they need time and for Atlético next week is better.

pss. another thing, since Atlético was knocked out of the Cup, they don't play round of 16 this midweek and would not have a potential quarter final next midweek, they are fixture free.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

50 minutes ago, Ansem said:

yep...delayed

Again, makes, sense, and another logical reason to push things back: they are trying to make a deal for a striker, with Cavani top on the list, and that means the whole team being in the office in Madrid and available. 

So far Atlético has not made a single deal this window.

The January transfer window closes on Friday.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I wonder how they plan to get their season ticket numbers up in a hurry? I think it would be a nice gesture to reach out to all Fury holders (former, I guess) and offer some sort of discount to give the new club a go. Whatever the plan, the kind of need to get moving. As much as an 8th club solves so many problems, playing in an empty stadium will look bad.

19 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I wonder how they plan to get their season ticket numbers up in a hurry? I think it would be a nice gesture to reach out to all Fury holders (former, I guess) and offer some sort of discount to give the new club a go. Whatever the plan, the kind of need to get moving. As much as an 8th club solves so many problems, playing in an empty stadium will look bad.

I would think this would be a really clear path forward - especially if folks from the Fury organization have been involved and can inform the discussion around the history of CPL in the city.  

16 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

This is why I think a 2021 launch makes more sense. It gives you a one year lead up where corporate partners can be engaged especially after the demise of the Fury. It will also allow you to foster relationships with the amateur soccer community and ramp up a season ticket campaign. It makes much more sense in my eyes. 

7 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This is why I think a 2021 launch makes more sense. It gives you a one year lead up where corporate partners can be engaged especially after the demise of the Fury. It will also allow you to foster relationships with the amateur soccer community and ramp up a season ticket campaign. It makes much more sense in my eyes. 

I don’t know - I think a strong 2020 season would be more effective in terms of getting people hyped.  You lose a whole year if you wait until 2020. I don’t think you actually lose anything by just jumping in. Sure you might have a bigger “first year” if you spend 2020 in planning and promotion, but I don’t think you gain anything in the long term.  

Make a nice gesture in terms of reaching out to former season ticket holders and get at it!  

I'm being called on Friday to finalize my purchase of a CEBL basketball season ticket (before the whole Atletico Ottawa things came up).  The guy who will be contacting me is my former season ticket rep for the Fury - wonder if he has more insight on the situation.  Because if he does, then it would indicate that OSEG is still involved in the background.

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I was wondering about this kind of a former-Fury ticket holder drive. Would this new group even be allowed to do that? More specifically, are they allowed to procure the contact info for the list of Fury ticket holders? Or does that break any sort of privacy laws?

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Usually you announce something like this at a Press Conference.

And you usually invite members of the press 1 or 2 days before.

They will make it into a big deal. They aren't going to announce it by Press Release.

Yeah, this. That's why yesterday morning I felt confident enough to post in the morning that there didn't seem to be an announcement coming. For every single club reveal for the CPL we new a date and time before the day of the announcement.