CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

16 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Damn.

Sounds a lot more like a pro soccer team than most of the names they came up with in year one. Good to see them quickly moving out of their Wiz/Burn/Clash/Crew phase of trying to sound hip and going for branding that is not likely to resonate to any huge extent with people who already know and love soccer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Sounds a lot more like a pro soccer team than most of the names they came up with in year one. Good to see them quickly moving out of their Wiz/Burn/Clash/Crew phase of trying to sound hip and going for branding that is not likely to resonate to any huge extent with people who already know and love soccer.

Very relevant. All those teams were named 25 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Voyageurs Cup is the trophy awarded to the winner of the Canadian Championship.

Things have changed since we now have a national league though!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

Technically we have Canadian Premier League and Ontario League1. So you would think the second division will end up being Canadian Championship. Then it will be REALLY confusing!

26 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Damn.

I must admit that I find it odd, it is forced, and I am perfectly comfortable with Spanish, I teach and write in the language. So I am not saying it is a good name, it isn't. I don't even think it has exotic charm, like if you had some poetic sounding Spanish word. It is drab.

But the condition for Atlético was to have their branding clear, and they already showed this intention in India and Mexico. Otherwise, the investment does not make sense for them. So I take it that way. It is the first name of this sort we have seen in Canadian soccer. 

They are a team with character, so I don't think that fans in Ottawa will find it hard to make an association with the mother club, even in Spain it is respected enough and only has die-hard Real Madrid fans that hate it.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...They are a team with character, so I don't think that fans in Ottawa will find it hard to make an association with the mother club, even in Spain it is respected enough and only has die-hard Real Madrid fans that hate it.

I'm old enough to remember that it was Real who were the Franco regime's favoured team rather than Atletico. That probably helps on not being hated.

3 minutes ago, gator said:

It has not changed though, that is up to the CSA and as of today they have not made that choice. As long as we have two pro entities in this country and one champions league spot this is how we determine a Canadian champion. Has the CSA ever gone on record and said they view the MLS teams on the same level as CPL. Anything on record here. The three MLS teams are are on completely different level here. What would happen if they do say the MLS teams will always be in the QF, or whatever, until its actually said we have no idea. 

14 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I like that we have the city name and I'm happy with the brand. Excited for a balanced schedule. Does this mean an end to the spring and fall season?

I want confirmation on quadruple header Saturdays!

Edited by narduch

13 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I like that we have the city name and I'm happy with the brand. Excited for a balanced schedule. Does this mean an end to the spring and fall season?

Me too. It was neat that the CPL did something different and moved away from city names, but I feel they pulled a little too far in that direction.

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But the condition for Atlético was to have their branding clear, and they already showed this intention in India and Mexico. Otherwise, the investment does not make sense for them. So I take it that way. It is the first name of this sort we have seen in Canadian soccer. 

I get the branding issue and how Atleti would want people to easily recognize their relationship with the team but, it seems to me if you are sharing team colors, jersey style, and logo shape, the difference between Atletico and Athletic becomes minuscule in regards to recognition. Ottawa Athletic/Ottawa Athlétique just seems more authentic to me as a club name, while still keeping the relationship clear.

Anyways, it’s not a huge issue. Atletico Ottawa isn’t the worst name in the world. I’m thrilled to see such a big club share the vision of what this league can become one day.

20 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I get the branding issue and how Atleti would want people to easily recognize their relationship with the team but, it seems to me if you are sharing team colors, jersey style, and logo shape, the difference between Atletico and Athletic becomes minuscule in regards to recognition. Ottawa Athletic/Ottawa Athlétique just seems more authentic to me as a club name, while still keeping the relationship clear.

I think others have mentioned that there is trademark issues and this organization has been pretty aggressive in protecting their brand.

As far as the French version ... unsure if there is any issues, although correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the direct translation of an "athletic club" be Sportif and Athlétique be more towards an individual being athletic or what we call track and field (athletics)?

Edited by Andrew W
Added stuff

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nobody thought Wiz/Burn/Clash/Crew sounded hip. It was simply going with what was the standard naming convention for North American pro leagues. 

Post TFC, MLS teams finally realized that North Americanizing the sport in order to cater to people who didn't follow the sport was the wrong pathway to success. Now even the Crew is looking to rebrand. And hipsters have become attracted to the sport in part because it isn't like every other league in North America.

NYT had an article today that showed if you ate at an Indian restaurant in the past 10 years, you are more likely to vote for Sanders and were less likely to support Trump during the 2016 Republican primaries.  Questions about food, travel and the kinds of sports people engage in can be used as an index of someone’s local versus cosmopolitan orientation. So, if you have a local orientation, you're not going to be attracted to whatever the Ottawa club is named. For the cosmo types, Atletico naming reaffirms the club's connection to the world. Otherwise, it's time to invite your friends to an Indian restaurant to start the conversion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/upshot/bernie-sanders-indian-food.html?te=1&nl=the-upshot&emc=edit_up_20200130&campaign_id=29&instance_id=15588&segment_id=20820&user_id=2d668403a0aef4a8ff3c4a74a221176c&regi_id=7702676820200130

Edited by red card

I've said it before on this board, but it's really disheartening to see so many people rushing to devalue our Voyageurs Cup just because the CPL is now active.

The Voyageurs Cup is our national championship. The Impact are holders of the Voyageurs Cup by virtue of winning the Canadian Championship. Full stop.

I don't care how England does it. We aren't England. We're not even most of the rest of the world.

In Canada, we have two leagues that are considered D1, with no crossover between the two except for the Canadian Championship. Therefore, neither league can claim that their team is the national champion. The true national champion is the Voyageurs Cup holder, since all the pro clubs in the country are eligible (and the semi-pro clubs from the two biggest provinces).

Now let's get back to the topic at hand.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

We are not England. This is completely irrelevant.

It is an example so it isn't irrelevant.  I am not saying that because it is like that in England it must be like that here.  Take Italy as another data point.  Or Spain.  Or Germany.  In any of those countries, the widely recognized "national champion" is the one that wins the national domestic league - not the national cup competition.  

And, again, I am aware that the presence of MLS makes that a different scenario here, but a blanket statement that the V Cup winner is our national champion isn't necessarily convincing. 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Damn.

I for one am happy with the name because     A- No need for translation and  B- Obviously the owners want it that way (it makes sense), I don't think they'd want  Ottawa United or Real Ottawa for example. 😁

1 hour ago, gator said:

One last point on it, can we refer to the Cup as The Voyageurs Cup from now on, not the Canadian Championship, they are 2 different things?

You are both right and wrong.

I have ALWAYS argued that we should refer to the competition for the Voyageurs Cup as one of, "The Cup", "VCup", or "Voyageurs Cup".

That's because the "official" competition name is "<Insert sponsor> Canadian Championship". The only people who should say "Canadian Championship" are people paid to do so.

FANS, who paid for the cup in the first place, should prefer the name WE gave it.

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is an example so it isn't irrelevant.  I am not saying that because it is like that in England it must be like that here.  Take Italy as another data point.  Or Spain.  Or Germany.  In any of those countries, the widely recognized "national champion" is the one that wins the national domestic league - not the national cup competition.  

And, again, I am aware that the presence of MLS makes that a different scenario here, but a blanket statement that the V Cup winner is our national champion isn't necessarily convincing. 

Point taken. The whole national champion discussion was irrelevant though. That was my main beef. 

And yes, the blanket statement made was contentious, but it doesn't even matter.

The only reason the national champion talk cropped up was because some poster was arguing that Forge should be placed ahead of the Whitecaps on that basis, which is a completely ridiculous suggestion. Plus it was off topic as this thread has nothing to do with Forge, much less who the national champion of a country is.

That was my context when I said "we are not England, what they do is irrelevant".

....it is irrelevant to the Ottawa, the Voyageurs cup, where Ottawa should enter the tournament and how they would affect the brackets. England has nothing to do with that. It is irrelevant.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm old enough to remember that it was Real who were the Franco regime's favoured team rather than Atletico. That probably helps on not being hated.

Atlético is the south Madrid working class team and Real the north and suburban middle class team. But Real Madrid is also by far the most popular team in Spain. And it is still associated with power structures, although also on the centre left, not just the right.