Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

It will also allow you to foster relationships with the amateur soccer community and ramp up a season ticket campaign.

The CPL has already started on this. They were in town a couple weeks ago giving presentations to a few of the major clubs. I suspect they'll continue to develop those relationships.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I was wondering about this kind of a former-Fury ticket holder drive. Would this new group even be allowed to do that? More specifically, are they allowed to procure the contact info for the list of Fury ticket holders? Or does that break any sort of privacy laws?

I don't really know what's going on with Hunt's involvement. I wasn't assuming anything. I was thinking more simplistically like announcing on social media that all former Fury season ticket holders get 10% off or something. I assume that the old pricing was publicly available or easy to obtain information. But you're right, if they wanted to call them directly, there would need to be some agreement with the former owners.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm being called on Friday to finalize my purchase of a CEBL basketball season ticket (before the whole Atletico Ottawa things came up).  The guy who will be contacting me is my former season ticket rep for the Fury - wonder if he has more insight on the situation.  Because if he does, then it would indicate that OSEG is still involved in the background.

Absolutely , they are going to want to have the most integrated setup for ticketing etc, OSEG as we know does the run the building. I would think some management services would be involved in the lease especially with Jeff Hunt taking part. Wonder if John Pugh will have a role as is is one of five owners of OSEG?

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know - I think a strong 2020 season would be more effective in terms of getting people hyped.  You lose a whole year if you wait until 2020. I don’t think you actually lose anything by just jumping in. Sure you might have a bigger “first year” if you spend 2020 in planning and promotion, but I don’t think you gain anything in the long term.  

Make a nice gesture in terms of reaching out to former season ticket holders and get at it!  

Most expansion teams take at least a year, most MLS teams have a year or two. Nashville has had a hood lead in. The Vegas Knights in the NHL were the same. Rushing into it is not a great ideaI. The corporate case could be somewhat hesitate after the demise of the Fury. It many ways this will be seen as one in the same. With Jeff Hunt they will be asking him whats the difference this time. 

6 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Absolutely , they are going to want to have the most integrated setup for ticketing etc, OSEG as we know does the run the building. I would think some management services would be involved in the lease especially with Jeff Hunt taking part. Wonder if John Pugh will have a role as is is one of five owners of OSEG?

Pugh is not one of the 5 OSEG owners as there is not 5 owners, there are 4.

And no, I doubt Pugh is part of this venture considering Hunt divested himself of the Fury because he did not believe in the direction and Pugh was head of the Fury at that point.

8 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Pugh is not one of the 5 OSEG owners as there is not 5 owners, there are 4.

And no, I doubt Pugh is part of this venture considering Hunt divested himself of the Fury because he did not believe in the direction and Pugh was head of the Fury at that point.

There are five partners of OSEG. Its on their directory. OSEG owns/ed three teams Redblacks, 67s and the Fury. They were all run by the same operation. You can see it here if you missed it. 

https://www.tdplace.ca/staff/

Edited by Cblake

11 minutes ago, Cblake said:

There are five partners of OSEG. Its on their directory. OSEG owns/ed three teams Redblacks, 67s and the Fury. They were all run by the same operation. You can see it here if you missed it. 

https://www.tdplace.ca/staff/

There’s multiple partnerships that have different people involved. Check the corporate registries and trademark databases.

The website lists everything in its most general terms, OSEG isn’t even a registered company, it’s a trade name.

Theres no way a guy like Pugh would have been a partner in the real estate development or the other sports teams, he didn’t have the capital or a reason to be.

17 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Most expansion teams take at least a year, most MLS teams have a year or two. Nashville has had a hood lead in. The Vegas Knights in the NHL were the same. Rushing into it is not a great ideaI....

The league desperately needs an eighth team to sort out its weeknight heavy schedule. Pure speculation on my part but that may have been worth something from an expansion fee standpoint. Getting in there before rugby league may also have been a consideration.

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The league desperately needs an eighth team to sort out its weeknight heavy schedule. Pure speculation on my part but that may have been worth something from an expansion fee standpoint. Getting in there before rugby league may also have been a consideration.

So the move for Spring 2020 isn't because it is an attractive option for the team - it is because the league desperately needs to solve a scheduling problem.

And it isn't because AM thought the fee was actually worth the investment - it is likely that they got a sale price because they were helping to overcome this scheduling nightmare.

And you wonder why some people slag you on here...

So happy about this.  Ottawa deserves a team.  The fans deserve local footy.  And CPL deserves the market.  Win win win. 

I wasn't dancing on the Fury's grave by any stretch (the most obvious solution was to have them sign up), but this was definitely the vision when people were espousing the "get on board or get out of the way" sentiments. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I was wondering about this kind of a former-Fury ticket holder drive. Would this new group even be allowed to do that? More specifically, are they allowed to procure the contact info for the list of Fury ticket holders? Or does that break any sort of privacy laws?

Oh my, let's be realistic. I am sure half a dozen former employees have that list, though they'd never say. People walk out of jobs with information they perhaps should not have all the time. It is not even a long list of names. 

You just do not do a massive mail out calling it former Fury ticket holders--you just send.

All this assuming that for some reason the Fury owners would not share a list to fill a stadium they happen to own, they get concessions from, a cut on merchandising, over and above whatever deal you make on stadium rental.