Ottawa CPL Club

I don't think this has been posted here.

https://apt613.ca/atletico-ottawa/

It is rumoured that for a team to play in 2020, the CPL has a deadline of January 31 to get a deal done, though sources have told Apt613 that a deal is so imminent that CPL clubs have already been advised to expect an Ottawa club this season, while other outlets have indicated a deal may be done already and an announcement could come in the next week.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

The person who wrote the article in as.com is actually based in Mexico and covers San Luis, their team there. I wrote her.

So perhaps she has some info on what the holding (At Madrid will go into Ottawa via ATLETICO DE MADRID INTERNATIONAL HOLDING SL, which was founded in December 2018 with limited capital) is doing from there, more than in Madrid, or has some contacts.

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The person who wrote the article in as.com is actually based in Mexico and covers San Luis, their team there. I wrote her.

So perhaps she has some info on what the holding (At Madrid will go into Ottawa via ATLETICO DE MADRID INTERNATIONAL HOLDING SL, which was founded in December 2018 with limited capital) is doing from there, more than in Madrid, or has some contacts.

Ever since the rumours started I've been checking the Canadian trademark registry very regularly. AM hold one trademark in Canada under the name CLUB ATLETICO DE MADRID, S.A.D. Paseo Virgen del Puerto, 67 Madrid E-28005 SPAIN. It was filed in January of 2018 via an intellectual property lawyer in Montreal. The design trademarked is the classic "Atletico de Madrid" logo and wordmark  and was filed for dozens and dozens of goods and services.

CPL Soccer Holdings LTD which holds the trademarks for all current teams does not have anything Ottawa related yet.

15 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Here is a question do you think they will redo the Canadian Championship if Ottawa does have a team for 2020 or how do you think that will work? 

Nothing concrete I think but several people have mentioned they will likely sit out this year as they wouldn't have been registered with the CSA in time. 

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Ever since the rumours started I've been checking the Canadian trademark registry very regularly. AM hold one trademark in Canada under the name CLUB ATLETICO DE MADRID, S.A.D. Paseo Virgen del Puerto, 67 Madrid E-28005 SPAIN. It was filed in January of 2018 via an intellectual property lawyer in Montreal. The design trademarked is the classic "Atletico de Madrid" logo and wordmark  and was filed for dozens and dozens of goods and services.

CPL Soccer Holdings LTD which holds the trademarks for all current teams does not have anything Ottawa related yet.

I made a mistake, the At Madrid holding was founded on 9 March 2017, I was counting the wrong way.  Seeing your great post made me realise I was wrong. The registry I saw says the holding is two years, ten months and 15 days old.  It is based in Madrid. 

https://www.axesor.es/Informes-Empresas/9136476/ATLETICO_DE_MADRID_INTERNATIONAL_HOLDING_SL.html

By the way the info in Canada has an error, the address since September 2017 more or less is the new stadium, the Wanda Metropolitano, that above is the address of the old Vicente Calderon.

The new address is AVENIDA LUIS ARAGONES, 4.

At Madrid may not have been thinking about CPL last year, but you never know. The date of last January coincides with when Mediapro stepped in with One Soccer, who knows if they tipped off the clubs they have better relationships with. But it could also be because Atlético is aggressively trying to expand its merchandising, and they anticipated a stronger base in Canada, independently of Mediapro. But there is that coincidence of dates.

I'm going to insist on another speculation or question that has been raised: could At Madrid have intervened before Fury folded, so that instead of the apparent sequence (Fury folds, At Madrid steps into the gap), you could have At Madrid step in and offer OSEG a way out, even paying to have Fury step aside, and Fury accepts and announces the closure--knowing full well that there would be continuity of soccer in Ottawa. Is this possible?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I made a mistake, the At Madrid holding was founded on 9 March 2017, I was counting the wrong way.  Seeing your great post made me realise I was wrong. The registry I saw says the holding is two years, ten months and 15 days old.  It is based in Madrid. 

https://www.axesor.es/Informes-Empresas/9136476/ATLETICO_DE_MADRID_INTERNATIONAL_HOLDING_SL.html

By the way the info in Canada has an error, the address since September 2017 more or less is the new stadium, the Wanda Metropolitano, that above is the address of the old Vicente Calderon.

The new address is AVENIDA LUIS ARAGONES, 4.

At Madrid may not have been thinking about CPL last year, but you never know. The date of last January coincides with when Mediapro stepped in with One Soccer, who knows if they tipped off the clubs they have better relationships with. But it could also be because Atlético is aggressively trying to expand its merchandising, and they anticipated a stronger base in Canada, independently of Mediapro. But there is that coincidence of dates.

I'm going to insist on another speculation or question that has been raised: could At Madrid have intervened before Fury folded, so that instead of the apparent sequence (Fury folds, At Madrid steps into the gap), you could have At Madrid step in and offer OSEG a way out, even paying to have Fury step aside, and Fury accepts and announces the closure--knowing full well that there would be continuity of soccer in Ottawa. Is this possible?

No offence but the bolded part seems a little passive aggressive. If that was not the intent, apologies.

What do you make of the different names of the companies? Is the company registered in the Canadian trademark the actual club and the holding company and subsidiary for overseas club operations?

Wouldn’t the date of the of the Canadian trademark predate the MediaPRO deal by one year? If so I think you’re right that it was filed for branding/merchandising purposes.

I have no insight into the Fury situation but you would think that AM would have known they could have waited them out and therefore not incurred any expense in acquiring the club or assets. Considering the Fury were a limited partnership separate from the OSEG I think it’s possible they had no assets and therefore no value to AM considering they wouldn’t have wanted the brand.

On another note, considering the few lines we’ve seen that Jeff Hunt divested himself from the Fury is it possible that JdG bought his shares? Perhaps that’s why he so adamantly defended the club?

23 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No offence but the bolded part seems a little passive aggressive. If that was not the intent, apologies.

What do you make of the different names of the companies? Is the company registered in the Canadian trademark the actual club and the holding company and subsidiary for overseas club operations?

Wouldn’t the date of the of the Canadian trademark predate the MediaPRO deal by one year? If so I think you’re right that it was filed for branding/merchandising purposes.

I have no insight into the Fury situation but you would think that AM would have known they could have waited them out and therefore not incurred any expense in acquiring the club or assets. Considering the Fury were a limited partnership separate from the OSEG I think it’s possible they had no assets and therefore no value to AM considering they wouldn’t have wanted the brand.

On another note, considering the few lines we’ve seen that Jeff Hunt divested himself from the Fury is it possible that JdG bought his shares? Perhaps that’s why he so adamantly defended the club?

No, I really appreciate you did the leg work, it's a great piece of research. 

As for the name, you got me there, but I don't know how it is supposed to work. In Spain all pro clubs except a few are SAD, which means Sociedad Anónima Deportiva, basically Sports Corporation in US terms and Public Limited Sport Company in UK terms. This is a relatively recent category in Spanish sports law and that is the name in Spain, not that of the holding. But again, maybe the Holding will own the club in Ottawa but At Madrid merchandising and other business interests will be done through the parent company, no idea.

And as for the date of Canadian registry, oh geez what a dolt I am, of course you are right. So that registry has nothing to do with CPL, it is a year earlier, we can junk all my Mediapro speculation then about last year. 

As for Atlético being involved even before Fury folded, all I can say is that you could imagine the cost was fairly negligible for the club in the overall scheme of things, I don't think having to pay was a problem.

The other thing to make us wonder is what has been reported about a lot of the players still on the books, though a few have moved on recently. 

I am pretty clued out about Hunt and the OSEG, I have not paid attention.

More stuff: reading that AtM disinvested from Lens and At Kolkata because they did not have majority interest and could not properly control the brand and the development of other aspects that they do feel they can do with their majority control of At San Luis. So if they come into Ottawa with a similar model, they'd want majority ownership.

In Mexico the club logo is that of AtM with a variation and the team wears the AtM shirt, with an away shirt that can vary. Articles on that purchase, which is not total but majority, at 61%, with local investors involved, say they paid 3 million euros and the committment was to invest 5 million. The model is to have a team wearing AtM colours, and with the name. They play to promote the AtM brand, they work on developing a youth academy and are interested in any talents emerging, and the results of the club reflect the ambition of the majority owner. It is all in and focused on what that club can give back to AtM, which is why they focused on promotion first. For a CPL club, perhaps it is getting into Concacaf competitions or some other goal able to raise the club profile.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, ray said:

Ottawa team to play CPL 2020 fall season, according to this. They won't be part of the Canadian Championship.  As @Blackdude says in the "new teams speculation" thread, Lyon is looking at something similar in Quebec (City?).

Yes, they're referring to Quebec City here, not the whole province. Either way, this is exciting!