Ottawa CPL Club

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If nothing else, Atletico Ottawa definitely start Their journey with some buzz surrounding them.  They will be loved by some and hated by others but it is sure as hell going to make things even more interesting this year.  

This would definitely cause some buzz.

I can just see an advertisement for Atletico Ottawa. Think "full heel". They come out, present themselves as "the bad guys" and truly work the angle to be the most hated team by fans of other teams, but a twisted bastion of hope for former Fury fans & people in Ottawa.

It could be a pretty good marketing campaign if they go at it 100%, and JDG would be the right face for that campaign, given remarks previously attributed to him.

1 hour ago, downtownordinary said:

CanPL website speculating on which players might be available for Ottawa:

https://canpl.ca/article/6-ottawa-area-ex-fury-players-that-could-sign-with-cpls-new-team

A couple others I thought of off the top of my head that have ties to the Ottawa area or former Fury players that for the most part don't seem to be signed elsewhere at the moment. 

Callum Irving
Jeff Addai
Anthony Legendre
Mallan Roberts
Adonijah Reid
Benson Fazili
Elliot Simmons
Shaan Hundal
Robert Boskovic

Yeah there are some interesting options. I liked Langwa a lot in Halifax, but I know he had some dressing room problems. Maybe a change of scenery could help with attitude. 

24 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Although not Wikipedia official, according to my source, Jeff Addai has just signed for Vaasan Palloseura in Finland.

At least it's in the top flight but I just find this so odd.  I could see this being a good move if it was pre-CPL but the CPL has already moved more players on to better levels than Finland ever has for Canadian players.  I really don't see it being a better stepping stone anymore, especially as CPL games are more in the spotlight and easily accessible to clubs around the world.

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

At least it's in the top flight but I just find this so odd.  I could see this being a good move if it was pre-CPL but the CPL has already moved more players on to better levels than Finland ever has for Canadian players.  I really don't see it being a better stepping stone anymore, especially as CPL games are more in the spotlight and easily accessible to clubs around the world.

There are a lot of factors. Maybe no CPL teams were interested. Maybe he was offered more money. Maybe he wanted to live in Finland

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

This would definitely cause some buzz.

I can just see an advertisement for Atletico Ottawa. Think "full heel". They come out, present themselves as "the bad guys" and truly work the angle to be the most hated team by fans of other teams, but a twisted bastion of hope for former Fury fans & people in Ottawa.

It could be a pretty good marketing campaign if they go at it 100%, and JDG would be the right face for that campaign, given remarks previously attributed to him.

And here I was thinking Cavalry were going to be the bad guys last year, with their posh stadium and uppity owners, and this BS military reference they were overdoing at the start--then they started playing and they were great to watch, with a sharp-looking shirt, so that was a waste of energy getting all prepped for them.

Normally Ottawa in sports sort of self-destructs, so it is hard to hate anyone full bent on self-immolation.

I honestly do not dislike any teams in CPL, though some of those crappy venues really do bother me, like York9, very unpleasant to watch soccer being played in that spot.

Just wondering is it clear that the Ottawa team will be starting the spring season and not the fall season only?

Seems to be cutting it very close, they should be signing players immediately or they will be scrambling later to fill their squad and have a poorly built team with obvious holes.

4 minutes ago, fil said:

Just wondering is it clear that the Ottawa team will be starting the spring season and not the fall season only?

Seems to be cutting it very close, they should be signing players immediately or they will be scrambling later to fill their squad and have a poorly built team with obvious holes.

Spring season. According to Atleti's release, they'll start play April 11th.

36 minutes ago, fil said:

It is possible that they'll be signing players behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Maybe he wanted to live in Finland

Vaasa is more temperate and sunnier than Ottawa during the playing season (both countries using an April-October kind of schedule), but I find it hard to imagine someone would want to leave Tulsa (averaging 175.8 hours of sun in January) for Vaasa (averaging 29.1 hours of sun in January) at this time of year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(for reference, Ottawa apparently averages 122.4 hours of sun in January)

5 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Vaasa is more temperate and sunnier than Ottawa during the playing season (both countries using an April-October kind of schedule), but I find it hard to imagine someone would want to leave Tulsa (averaging 175.8 hours of sun in January) for Vaasa (averaging 29.1 hours of sun in January) at this time of year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tulsa is friggin HOT for us Ottawans (Ignore this)

Sorry didn't read the last sentence. Considering they aren't paid in the off season I would imagine a lot of them leave their USL to go home, where they may get free rent and food if they can tolerate their parents :) 

Edited by Senorpopps

35 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Having been to neither I would rather live in Finland than Tulsa

3 hours ago, fil said:

They start in April. 

They probably have signed players but haven't announced it yet. 

They can sign 5 guys from the fury, five to ten cpl free agents, loan some young players from Spain and will be fine. 

6 hours ago, fil said:

In the NASL San Antonio and Puerto Rico were a couple of clubs that always put together a roster late, as in middle of feb- march for the most part, for an April start. Think they did this on one hand to save $ as players were still available at that time but many likely couldn't necessarily garner the biggest salary and were just looking to get on with a team.

5 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I mean, same, I was just trying (and failing) to make a joke about how dark and depressing Vaasa would be in the winters.

I found the numbers interesting! But then I started to question exactly what they mean. I don’t know what your source is or if they explain what the numbers mean, but Ottawa can’t possibly have only 4 hours per day of daylight right? So it must be counting cloud cover as not being sunlight?

17 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I mean, same, I was just trying (and failing) to make a joke about how dark and depressing Vaasa would be in the winters.

My mom’s family is from Vaasa.  From my cousin’s Facebook it doesn’t look depressing at all.  Summers there are incredible though.  It’s like being in a combination of the Muskoka’s and a small ocean front town.  

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I found the numbers interesting! But then I started to question exactly what they mean. I don’t know what your source is or if they explain what the numbers mean, but Ottawa can’t possibly have only 4 hours per day of daylight right? So it must be counting cloud cover as not being sunlight?

Honestly the source is wikipedia, which then cites some meteorological place. But yes, I'm fairly certain that cloud cover = no sun for that purpose - if you look at the weather network's 7 day forecast, it'll say that there's only going to be 2 hours of sun tomorrow despite sunrise being ~7:30 and sunset ~5.

9 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

My mom’s family is from Vaasa.  From my cousin’s Facebook it doesn’t look depressing at all.  Summers there are incredible though.  It’s like being in a combination of the Muskoka’s and a small ocean front town.  

Oh I'm sure the summers are great, and probably most of the year. I just have trouble picturing a place that's as cold as Ottawa with 1/4 the sun in the winter - I don't mind Ottawa winters, but the best days are the ones that are super cold and very bright, the worst are medium cold and grey, so getting an average of 1 hour of sun per day in the depths of winter... no thanks.

Having said that, my Northern Irish colleague told me that's about how much sun his town gets in the winter, so what do I know (very little).

[edit] apologies to all for how off topic this is

Edited by Viruk42