Ottawa CPL Club

40 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

All I said was he should be a candidate.

Hahaha... No you didn't.

40 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

All I said was he should be a candidate. That’s when people freaked out, pinning the same old rumours on him that disqualifies him for some reason. 

Responding to you after they've been told they're wrong is "freaking out." Right.

There's a host of reasons why JdG shouldn't be employed by the new club, the quotes are one of them. Can you prove he didn't say them? No. Can anyone here prove he did say them? No. But we do have credible media people reporting that he, or at the very least someone from the organization he held a leadership role with, did say them and other very destructive things about the CPL and that automatically disqualifies him for many. You don't agree because you feel that his contributions to Canadian soccer outweigh any of those arguments. As an avid lifelong Canada supporter I can't honestly point to anything JdG has done post playing career as great for the development of the game in Canada so please enlighten us.

Bottom line is, Jeff Hunt and AM will decide if they should employ him. My bet is they won't. There's a reason why Jeff Hunt was chosen as the local partner in this venture and not John Pugh. And there's a reason why Jeff Hunt divested himself of the Fury in 2018.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Rollins said that JDG was "the most anti-CPL voice in the room".  I didnt want to believe it at the time, and I am a big fan of JDG, but to say all of this is made up is a little silly.  

But it doesnt matter, Atletico will do what they want..but it seems strange to me that they would just keep the front office of the old club.  

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

All I said was he should be a candidate.

Says who? you? What's your qualification? I'd like to think that Atletico knows better than you who's the right fit.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

That’s when people freaked out, pinning the same old rumours on him that disqualifies him for some reason. Still waiting for someone to prove their opinions right. 

Like I said earlier, even with those MLS loans he sh-t the bed as a GM. How many championships again? How many time did he led them to eliminate an MLS team? I recall them getting thrashed by TFC B/C team.

That's enough reason to disqualify him as GM/coach

Mentor to young players? Now this is where people would mostly agree with you. Personally, he should be doing that at the CSA for youth players and mentor them. That's where he's most valuable for Canadian soccer. Let go of this obsession with JDG being in a top job in CPL

2 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Was he not a former employee at that point?  And aren’t those his quotes, and not JDG?

As pointed out, this was Ivory live tweeting the JdG and Popovic press conference so those quotes are attributable to him or a guy who reported directly to him. And if it was Popovic who said it, JdG didn't correct him. And Ivory, who has a very good understanding of the organization, didn't feel the need to distinguish between who exactly said it. Although I'm sure it would be easy to find video of the press conference and confirm.

1 hour ago, RS said:

How many people even know about JDG's comment outside of this board and the CPL subreddit? I suspect the number is minuscule, and the number of people who care is even less.

No fire without smoke?

I listened to the press conference on the Fury folding and when they commented on CPL and said they "were being held for ransom"... you can understand why more people are leaning towards JDG saying those quotes than not. Also, all of the Fury surrogates going on social media and putting down the league wasn't fiction... it happened

18 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

https://northerntribune.ca/de-guzman-on-canadian-premier-league/

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/is-ottawas-pro-soccer-future-with-the-canadian-premier-league

I’ve seen reports on twitter from people who’ve made the claim he’s ripped the CPL, and maybe he has, but I’ve not seen them from a reputable source. 

There was another article on the Fury website, I went to look for it but all the content has been removed.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

No fire without smoke?

I listened to the press conference on the Fury folding and when they commented on CPL and said they "were being held for ransom"... you can understand why more people are leaning towards JDG saying those quotes than not. Also, all of the Fury surrogates going on social media and putting down the league wasn't fiction... it happened

The fact is that none of that will matter if JDG is hired. I doubt he will be, if only because Atleti has a huge network and can easily find someone internally for the role.

1 minute ago, RS said:

The fact of the matter is that none of that will matter if JDG is hired.

I personally dont care whether he's hired or not. Just voicing why I think he won't based on his track record as a GM, not necessarily on what he said but it doesn't help.

I think he'd make a great mentor to youth talent at the CSA or at a CPL club (wouldn't most likely earn what he used too)

Maybe they'll hire him but it's just fact that there are better options out there if we're talking GM/coach...we'll see

4 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

My point is if the new club wants to hire him he’s more than qualified. But a couple Internet fan boys are attributing quotes to JDG that in their opinion disqualifies him from any coaching position. Let it go, there’s no real proof he said anything negative about the CPL. 

Thanks for unintentionally tipping us off: he is being considered for a coaching position. Appreciate it.

No one here thought that might be the case: we all just assumed he'd stay in a similar role.

And here is where you thankfully missed the point, which is that JdG, by his accredited despective comments and reactions about the CPL, possibly (only possibly) disqualified himself as a GM of a CPL team. He did nothing last year to make any sort of fan think he was not qualified to coach, because he was not coaching. 

We fan boys are a lot more logical and have better reading comprehension that you give us credit for.

6 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most. 

The only thing I will say about the bolded idea is that if the attributed quotes are true, your claim is demonstrably false.  There is good reason to believe that he tried to undermine the entire project of CPL by disparaging player quality.  That is directly putting his own self interest ahead of the "growth of the game in Canada". 

The new powers-that-be will either hire him or not.  But to claim that he is some kind of benevolent altruist when it comes to soccer in this country is wrong.  He is simply a guy who said what he needed to say to keep his bosses happy and to keep his job, even though it required him to devalue the CPL project. 

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

When all else fails, resort to the "nobody cares" trope. Very lazy non-argument.

Not to mention that the people at CPL are surely aware of all JDG's disparaging comments and by all accounts are quite salty about the Ottawa Fury; and guess who the prospective new owners are talking to?

When all else fails? Have I been defending JDG in here at all?

Your argument is lazier than the one you're accusing me of.

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You mean my point about CPL caring about what JDG said and the prospective new owners talking to CPL: hence the people who matter certainly caring about what JDG said?!! 😂

The people who matter are Atleti's higher-ups. Full stop.

Maybe the CPL brass were as hurt by JDG's comments as many on here seem to be, maybe not. Chances are he doesn't get hired regardless (for reasons I posted further upthread).

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like how everyone is in the office working during the week, but soccer execs do business trips to Madrid on the weekend for one reason only: to catch a game.

And At Madrid is at home this weekend to Leganés, playing at noon on Sunday. 

Now just need to pass photos of Hunt, Clanachan, et al. to Spanish press to confirm on game day!

15 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I hope JDG gets consideration as the Manager for the new Ottawa team. He got passionate about defending his team and said things he may regret. I would want someone passionate about my team!

As much as I like him, I don't want him as manager. I'd like him as assistant manager or player liaison, though. I asked him in a SSH Q&A if OSEG was giving him the chance to take courses on GMing to help him develop and succeed, but he said he was mostly learning on the fly. He would best be served in an assistant role if he really wants to improve that particular skill-set.