Ottawa CPL Club

16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It’ll be really interesting to see how the crowds are for the Blackjacks and Atletico Ottawa.  The Blackjacks have a very powerful GM and coach behind them both from the Carleton University basketball factory.  Really looking forward to watching both teams this summer - don’t know how much of a crossover of fans there will be.

When I think of crossover to me its about a person/family looking for an affordable afternoon out. It will be about inexpensive tickets and enjoyable entertainment. It will be no different than with rugby league and a possible return of minor league baseball in 2021. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out if you have four teams playing pretty much at the same time of year fighting for their piece of the pie. 

18 minutes ago, dnina10 said:

There already is MLS favouritism. The Whitecaps got a bye over Forge FC. The team who finished bottom of the Western Conference last season in MLS got a bye over the national champions. If that isn't a bias towards the MLS clubs, I don't know what is....🙄

It just acknowledging whats the higher level at this moment. Can you honestly tell me that FC Edmonton for instances is any better/different a team in the CPL than it was in the NASL, a D2 league. This country has sort of a D1A/D1B situation. The CPL is a nice little league with great growth potential but it still has a long way to go be anywhere the level of a league that MLS is and there is nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

It’ll be really interesting to see how the crowds are for the Blackjacks and Atletico Ottawa.  The Blackjacks have a very powerful GM and coach behind them both from the Carleton University basketball factory.  Really looking forward to watching both teams this summer - don’t know how much of a crossover of fans there will be.

I'd expect Athetico Ottawa to be in a similar range as the Fury were past few years, around 4500-5500.

CEBL attendance isn't in the same level as CPL from what little I've read, in the 1000-1500 range last year for some games and 2-3k for the semi-finals and final.

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

On players, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a few on loan from the 3 MLS sides (like the Fury did) and likely sign a few ex Fury players still out of contract; that with the loans from the parent will probably provide the backbone of the side for Year 1.

A Theo Bair loan from VWFC would be perfect. The big club has 3 good to decent options up top and he’d do well to have the opportunity to star in his home town. 

3 hours ago, dnina10 said:

There already is MLS favouritism. The Whitecaps got a bye over York9 FC and HFX Wanderers. Those CPL teams were knocked out in the exact same round of the 2019 Voyageurs Cup as the Whitecaps. If that isn't a bias towards the MLS clubs, I don't know what is....🙄

Fixed your post.

There is your MLS favouritism. Nothing to do with Forge FC.

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

^^ Yes, it adds some variety but not all variety is good. There is nothing Spanish about Ottawa no matter who owns the football team. That name would be a big turn-off for me if I lived there.

I'd hate for CPL to start being divided based along national lines.

Can't wait for Lyon Saskatoon and Juventus Kitchener.

Hollandia Saskatoon?

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

It just acknowledging whats the higher level at this moment. Can you honestly tell me that FC Edmonton for instances is any better/different a team in the CPL than it was in the NASL, a D2 league. This country has sort of a D1A/D1B situation. The CPL is a nice little league with great growth potential but it still has a long way to go be anywhere the level of a league that MLS is and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I don't really have a problem with the Whitecaps getting their QF birth over York9 and HFX Wanderers for that reason. Call it MLS favouritism or whatever, but it is what it is. I would feel hard done by it if I were a York or HFX fan, but I don't see how a Forge fan can have any complaints....

Has nothing to do with Forge. They finished last years competition below Whitecaps, York9 and HFX Wanderers. Forge do not deserve to enter this years cup before any of those teams.

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, dnina10 said:

There already is MLS favouritism. The Whitecaps got a bye over Forge FC. The team who finished bottom of the Western Conference last season in MLS got a bye over the national champions. If that isn't a bias towards the MLS clubs, I don't know what is....🙄

No actually, because all byes in football are based on accumulated past performances, normally over many years. Not the immediate past.

What was embarrassing last Cup was to determine some CPL teams got a bye for historical reasons when all teams were new. That was bogus. 

For me the only team deserving a bye last year was FC EDMONTON. 

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No actually, because all byes in football are based on accumulated past performances, normally over many years. Not the immediate past.

What was embarrassing last Cup was to determine some CPL teams got a bye for historical reasons when all teams were new. That was bogus. 

For me the only team deserving a bye last year was FC EDMONTON. 

The byes are more based on the comparative level of the leagues than "past performances". That's standard in these FA Cup like competitions. Bullshit that ANY ONE  team gets a bye right to the semi-finals. Glad TFC lost out actually. 

13 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I dunno in my view just leave them out for this year. I mean they will have enough on their plate just trying to get things sorted to CPL action. I'm sure they would not be heartbroken to miss the tournament and be able to focus solely on CPL. 

Besides the tournament has been set up fine - why mess with it. 

Would it be strenuous on any of the league's stakeholders to change the schedule now? If not, please mess with it.

Edited by Macksam

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

^^ Yes, it adds some variety but not all variety is good. There is nothing Spanish about Ottawa no matter who owns the football team. That name would be a big turn-off for me if I lived there.

While very true, it does have the advantage of not needing to be translated into French and English, unlike many other options. Admittedly part of me was (semi-jokingly) hoping for AtleticO.

When are those new kits being revealed? I thought they were supposed to be released before Christmas but it's the end of January now and still nothing.

I believe York 9 did tease an All green top with a collar in one of their emails, which will be an Improvement on last year's green kit. IMO, if they are not going to produce an all black kit, the black should be used sparingly on the kits.

Edited by Macksam

Heard two things from a reliable source (currently 4/5 on rumors)

1) Apparently some of the Fury players who already signed elsewhere are annoyed they didn't wait until the Ottawa announcement. They are still interested in coming back, perhaps next year though or later on this year. (He's pretty certain about this)

2) Some of the Fury players that haven't signed elsewhere have already agreed to come play ... just waiting for a contract to be signed (not as certain since this is coming from two degrees of separation).

Edited by Senorpopps

27 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Heard two things from a reliable source (currently 4/5 on rumors)

1) Apparently some of the Fury players who already signed elsewhere are annoyed they didn't wait until the Ottawa announcement. They are still interested in coming back, perhaps next year though or later on this year. (He's pretty certain about this)

2) Some of the Fury players that haven't signed elsewhere have already agreed to come play ... just waiting for a contract to be signed (not as certain since this is coming from two degrees of separation).

If they are going to start in early April, then this makes sense.

In fact, we already heard rumours of it.

You can't put together a roster, never mind a competitive one, in so little time, when preseason training starts in a few weeks. A lot of the Canadian quality is signed and they can't just go out and try to outbid for the remainder.

I sort of hope whoever is managing or coaching has a short list of a possible core of players. 

10 hours ago, dnina10 said:

Forge are not the national champions. The Impact are.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't really have a problem with the Whitecaps getting their QF birth over York9 and HFX Wanderers for that reason. Call it MLS favouritism or whatever, but it is what it is. I would feel hard done by it if I were a York or HFX fan, but I don't see how a Forge fan can have any complaints....

Has nothing to do with Forge. They finished last years competition below Whitecaps, York9 and HFX Wanderers. Forge do not deserve to enter this years cup before any of those teams.

This is the correct take.

I think going forward the CSA just needs to take the previous year's semifinalists and seed them into the quarters. Everyone else starts in the first round (or earlier, if needed) regardless of what league they come from.

47 minutes ago, Macksam said:

When are those new kits being revealed? I thought they were supposed to be released before Christmas but it's the end of January now and still nothing.

I believe York 9 did tease an All green top with a collar in one of their emails, which will be an Improvement on last year's green kit. IMO, if they are not going to produce an all black kit, the black should be used sparingly on the kits.

HOPEFULLY it's because they working on having new kit sponsors. I'm not a fan of having the same sponsor on different teams (especially with only 7 teams). On that note , where are companies like Home Hardware, Cdn Tire, Petro Canada and any of the major banks? I think with their billion $ profits every year they can afford it.

49 minutes ago, RS said:

I think going forward the CSA just needs to take the previous year's semifinalists and seed them into the quarters. Everyone else starts in the first round (or earlier, if needed) regardless of what league they come from.

Not the easiest thing to do with the number of teams though - 8 CPL, 3 MLS, and 2 semi-pro right? So 4 start in the quarters, meaning you need to turn 9 into 4. I guess they could get the 2 semi-pro teams to play each other for a space, but that's pretty meh to me.

An odd number of byes is a lot better, mathematically (at least until BC's semi-pro league gets rolling or if the CPL again has an odd number of teams). So, if you ask me, only the previous winner should get a bye - 14 teams randomly drawn for round 1, then the 7 winners + the previous champion for the quarters.

1 hour ago, RS said:

I am not so sure this is something you can just proclaim.  In the 2017-18 season:

Chelsea won the FA CUP.

Man City won the EPL.

Who do you think most viewed as the Champions of England?

And I know the presence of MLS makes it a different equation, but the reality is that the national champion is pretty much universally identified as the winner of the national league - not the governing association's cup competition.  

1 hour ago, RS said:

I don't know where you got that information from, but it is definitely wrong. Basically anywhere in the world, the national champions is the team that won the national premier league, not the national cup. Is it a more impressive achievement to win the cup? Depending on the cup, yes. However, do not get confused, as I said it correctly; Forge FC are the national champions.

To the second bolded part, I agree with you. That is what the CSA are trying to do this year. It would have been interesting to see if Ottawa Fury would have gotten the bye over the Whitecaps if they did not fold. They already have the semifinalists in from last year; Toronto FC, Montreal Impact, and Cavalry FC. They wanted to have a fourth team still get a bye, which is okay with me. What I cannot understand is how the Whitecaps got the bye over Forge, and I pointed out why. That, in my opinion, should have been the next tiebreaker. Keep in mind that Forge FC will be competing in the CONCACAF League as well, spending a lot more energy than the Whitecaps will be, as they will only be playing in MLS and the Canadian Championship. That is something else no one has pointed out.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not so sure this is something you can just proclaim.  In the 2017-18 season:

Chelsea won the FA CUP.

Man City won the EPL.

Who do you think most viewed as the Champions of England?

And I know the presence of MLS makes it a different equation, but the reality is that the national champion is pretty much universally identified as the winner of the national league - not the governing association's cup competition.  

Exactly. I was going to say the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. Going back to RS's point, I guess Atalanta FC are the national champions of the US, since they won the US Open Cup last year, even though the Seattle Sounders won MLS. Even if TFC did end up winning MLS, I would still say that the Sounders are the American Champions as they went the furthest of any American team in MLS.