Ottawa CPL Club

Three things from that Press Release.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-1st-expansion-team-to-ottawa

First, press conference and launch on February 12, so they are giving themselves time.

Second, they are starting in late April, no half season, from the get-go. Meaning a balanced schedule with 8 teams, great news.

Finally, I really liked that they mention the legacy of the woman's team in the press release, it suggests they may have some ideas in this regard. But what?

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Three things from that Press Release.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-1st-expansion-team-to-ottawa

First, press conference and launch on February 12, so they are giving themselves time.

Second, they are starting in late April, no half season, from the get-go. Meaning a balanced schedule with 8 teams, great news.

Finally, I really liked that they mention the legacy of the woman's team in the press release, it suggests they may have some ideas in this regard. But what?

Clanachans quotes regarding the Womens league being ‘Further along than I expected’ are a nice tie in. Those quotes were back in August so a bit of a stretch to believe this had anything to do with Ottawa/Atletico. Possible Atletico had been in touch and had a relationship before Ottawa became a possibility though. 

2021 could be possible, in his quotes it was speculated they would use league 1 ontario as a basis but we have some womens teams across the country. I hope they wait until 2022 at least. It's hard enough running one league efficiently I am sure. 

Also lets get that nonsense out the way and celebrate HARD. Welcome Ottawa. Feb 12 is too far away but I will take it!

I haven't been keeping up with all the hoopla around the Ottawa situation. I do know that Fury suspended operations and I can see Athletico are teaming up with the man who owns the CFL and OHL team in Ottawa.

Is this a re-birth of the Fury under the Athletico family? Or are the Fury completely dead now? Either way I am curious, if not excited, to see what the branding is with Athletico involved.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, this. That's why yesterday morning I felt confident enough to post in the morning that there didn't seem to be an announcement coming. For every single club reveal for the CPL we new a date and time before the day of the announcement.

Well, looks like I was wrong about this one! Announcement made with no schedule.

At least we have a heads up on the Feb 12th reveal which presumably where we will learn the team name and see the logo, and possibly the jerseys.

1 minute ago, top cheese said:

Will be interesting to see how they stock pile players for the roster. I wonder if the 6 international players will be u21 players from athleticos academy/ reserves 

If you stick 6 Spanish 3rd tier players into the team, that really raises the level of the team in CPL terms.

It's like asking what would happen if you sent half a dozen players at the level of Piette and Aparicio-- because both are where they are after Spain third tier. In any case, I am begging the question; B team players from Atlético would be strong.

As would taking players not getting minutes in LigaMX.

Another thing is if our season really is at all meaningful for Atletico B players, they are almost done in late April. They are leading their division, they play until mid-May then almost sure to have a promotion playoff. So after that, late May, or into June, players might be freed up. Unless earlier they loan out those not getting minutes on the B team, which is a possibility. I see checking now that they loan players to teams in Spanish 4th tier to get them minutes and off the bench.

The way the CPL season is divided up, it is not a natural calendar for a player in Spain, as most would want to do the preseason with their base team in July-August.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Will they play in Voyageurs cup? The format has already been announced. 

Perhaps the Masters and Blainville forced to have a play-off now?

That's what I'm thinking exactly.  Those two playoff and the winner faces York9 (higher seed) and then Ottawa faces HFX.  

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's what I'd be thinking too. I wouldn't be completely averse to the idea as it's still early enough that it won't seriously affect the teams' schedules. Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither League 1 Ontario nor PLSQ have released their respective schedules yet, so we should be good there. I won't complain. I'm just more pissed off that the Whitecaps got a bye over Forge (not due to being a Forge FC supporter, by the way, it has nothing to do with it). Nevertheless, the Ottawa team playing in the Canadian Championship is not the worst idea ever. They just have to deal with that as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Clanachans quotes regarding the Womens league being ‘Further along than I expected’ are a nice tie in. Those quotes were back in August so a bit of a stretch to believe this had anything to do with Ottawa/Atletico. Possible Atletico had been in touch and had a relationship before Ottawa became a possibility though. 

2021 could be possible, in his quotes it was speculated they would use league 1 ontario as a basis but we have some womens teams across the country. I hope they wait until 2022 at least. It's hard enough running one league efficiently I am sure. 

Also lets get that nonsense out the way and celebrate HARD. Welcome Ottawa. Feb 12 is too far away but I will take it!

The CSA is already funding national team players each season in the NWSL. If that is the level of league the CPL is thinking, I think its a no brainer to then to just place Canadian teams in the all existing NWSL where you have the best Canadian and US players suiting up with and against each other. Now if they thinking of doing something along the lines of what the W League was then something just within the Canadian border makes sense. This is something the CPL and the three MLS teams in conjunction with the CSA should explore. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I haven't been keeping up with all the hoopla around the Ottawa situation. I do know that Fury suspended operations and I can see Athletico are teaming up with the man who owns the CFL and OHL team in Ottawa.

Is this a re-birth of the Fury under the Athletico family? Or are the Fury completely dead now? Either way I am curious, if not excited, to see what the branding is with Athletico involved.

It’s a few pages back but OSEG sold the rights to the Fury and apparently they rights holders are putting a team in Miami. Hunt is the only on that was involved with the Fury that is linked to the Atletico Ottawa club. This is a separate entity. 

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Two ways to do it would be for them to push Calgary back into the opening round and face off against Ottawa thus not disrupting any of the other match-ups on the bracket. The easiest option in my eyes would be to keep it close bye and play Blainville for a spot in the bracket. I think they really want that TFC York 9 match up.

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Or bring Calgary into the opening round. 

This wouldn't be fair to Calgary, who earned their QF round birth on the strength of last years performance. If you push them back to the qualifying round, you will also get people claiming MLS favouritism. The optics wouldn't be good either way.

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Two ways to do it would be for them to push Calgary back into the opening round and face off against Ottawa thus not disrupting any of the other match-ups on the bracket. The easiest option in my eyes would be to keep it close bye and play Blainville for a spot in the bracket. I think they really want that TFC York 9 match up.

Yes you would not disturb the other match ups, but wouldn't you screw up the QF round?

The 3 MLS teams await the qualifying round winners, but who plays in the 4th match up? It would have to be two of Valour/Forge and Ottawa/Calgary. Don't think that would work.

Seemingly making Blainville and Masters play each other for a spot in the tournament proper would make the most sense. The winner could play York to cut down on travel and Ottawa could renew acquaintances with Halifax. 

I dunno in my view just leave them out for this year. I mean they will have enough on their plate just trying to get things sorted to CPL action. I'm sure they would not be heartbroken to miss the tournament and be able to focus solely on CPL. 

Besides the tournament has been set up fine - why mess with it. 

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This wouldn't be fair to Calgary, who earned their QF round birth on the strength of last years performance. If you push them back to the qualifying round, you will also get people claiming MLS favouritism. The optics wouldn't be good either way.

Yes you would not disturb the other match ups, but wouldn't you screw up the QF round?

The 3 MLS teams await the qualifying round winners, but who plays in the 4th match up? It would have to be two of Valour/Forge and Ottawa/Calgary. Don't think that would work.

Seemingly making Blainville and Masters play each other for a spot in the tournament proper would make the most sense. The winner could play York to cut down on travel and Ottawa could renew acquaintances with Halifax. 

Why would those match-ups not work?

Its alive! Its alive!

You all thought OSEG had had thrown the final blow and killed pro soccer in Ottawa, buried so deep that no one would dare attempt to revive the corpse.

Yet with the hands of the Spanish, they have shocked the body of pro soccer in Ottawa, back to life! 

Now they will charge into the CPL. Who will be the first victim?