General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

CMNT targeting 2022...

This article is from CPL site and does anyone here belief  CMNT can in fact make it to 2022?

It will be tough, but yes I can see CMNT actually getting to WC2022. Many nations are starting to get out of their Golden generation or highest level i.e Costa Rica. I feel what is currently happening with CMNT and the moves towards improvement overall on all level can and should get CMNT to 2022.

@saladroit can't watch this video is it on youtube?

Not saying we will do it, but it is absolutely possible.  In 3 years time, we could have a great team.  

Of course it’s possible, it’s insulting to even ask the question.  Yes, past qualifiers have been awful but that’s not an indication of future performance.  

On paper we are easily a top 4-5 nation in the region right now imo and our squad is young.  Everything is trending in the right direction at the moment for us, I’m not sure id say it’s probable/likely but I’m confident in saying we have a decent chance. 

36 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Of course it’s possible, it’s insulting to even ask the question.  Yes, past qualifiers have been awful but that’s not an indication of future performance.  

On paper we are easily a top 4-5 nation in the region right now imo and our squad is young.  Everything is trending in the right direction at the moment for us, I’m not sure id say it’s probable/likely but I’m confident in saying we have a decent chance. 

What does top 4-5 on paper mean? 

11 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I really hate it when Herdman says players can be pioneers if they choose Canada. As if 1986 never happened. 

1986 is so long ago that for many people it feels like it didn’t happen. Ask a kid playing soccer today. They can’t relate to 1986. These guys will be pioneers for literally millions of kids. 

40 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

1986 is so long ago that for many people it feels like it didn’t happen. Ask a kid playing soccer today. They can’t relate to 1986. These guys will be pioneers for literally millions of kids. 

Hard to disagree with that.  Funny that it will be exactly 50 years later that the current crop of young players will get the chance to be the most well known Canadian soccer players in history on home soil.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hard to disagree with that.  Funny that it will be exactly 50 years later that the current crop of young players will get the chance to be the most well known Canadian soccer players in history on home soil.  

A little bit less funny that it will actually be only 40 years.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

It means in terms of squad depth/strength.  It doesn’t mean anything until the game is played but for now it’s nice to think about.

I understand what you mean, but until you prove you  can actually get a win in Central America, I don't care who is on your team.

Our defence also doesn't inspire much confidence, either on paper or on the pitch.

15 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

. Ask a kid playing soccer today. They can’t relate to 1986. These guys will be pioneers for literally millions of kids. 

100% - Just look at how Canada's Women team have inspired millions of young girls in recent years.

Making the world cup in 2022 & exceeding those expectations, the influence imo is literally unfathomable .

Just look at the history of France if you need an example:

- 20/21 years ago in '98 they inspired an entire generation of youngsters (and their parents).

- 20 years later those youngsters just did the exact same thing, and have inspired an entire new generation.

18 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

I am not saying they will not be influential, but they will not be "pioneers".

The language is just wrong. 

Not sure if anyone has seen this article yet, but this quote in it....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdman-canada-can-qualify-2022-world-cup-compete-2026/

“We’ve looked at the talent pool of players, and Canada have typically been in the top five in the last 20 years in comparison to their Concacaf competitors. That means players playing at the highest levels and the highest leagues … When we’ve looked at that statistical analysis, Canada should have competed more often for [a] world cup berth,” Herdman offered.

....has me somewhat nervous that Herdman doesn't know what he's doing.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdman-canada-can-qualify-2022-world-cup-compete-2026/

“We’ve looked at the talent pool of players, and Canada have typically been in the top five in the last 20 years in comparison to their Concacaf competitors. That means players playing at the highest levels and the highest leagues … When we’ve looked at that statistical analysis, Canada should have competed more often for [a] world cup berth,” Herdman offered.

He’s wrong about talent pool is was really shallow, but to be fair we have underachieved.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:27 PM, Jith12 said:

Eustaquio blew his ACL in his first Liga MX game and I believe is out for the season, ruling him out of the March game. Tomori is more likely for March, but he is a starter for England U21 who play in the U21 Euro this summer. But if he really does want to be "a pioneer" there is no better time than the present! Exciting times!

Edit: According to TransferMarkt, Eustaquio's injury is indeed long term, and his return is expected on September 1st.

Seems very unlikely Tomori would make the switch with the potential opportunity at a Euro U 21 Chmapionship on the horizon but also seems very unlikely they would make a big announcement for Eustaquio given his injury.

Akinola & Bassong would be nice, but if its not either Tomori or Eustaquio, I will be a bit disappointed.

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Seems very unlikely Tomori would make the switch with the potential opportunity at a Euro U 21 Chmapionship on the horizon but also seems very unlikely they would make a big announcement for Eustaquio given his injury.

Akinola & Bassong would be nice, but if its not either Tomori or Eustaquio, I will be a bit disappointed.

I’m sure it’s Eustaquio. he would of have to filed his one time switch and that’s a process , maybe even before the injury ?

i think Tomori will commit eventually but not anytime soon considering, as mentioned, the u21 Euro cup where has been a starter for years 

i was also think it could be somebody totally off our radar but I doubt it 

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

That’s just a known fact.. look at our squad for the past 3 qualifiers, he’s absolutely right.  Should we have qualified?  Maybe not but for sure we should have been in the last 6 at least once.  

24 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

I’m sure it’s Eustaquio. he would of have to filed his one time switch and that’s a process , maybe even before the injury ?

i think Tomori will commit eventually but not anytime soon considering, as mentioned, the u21 Euro cup where has been a starter for years 

i was also think it could be somebody totally off our radar but I doubt it 

I agree with you.  As much as I would love Tomori to join, I just can't imagine it coming until after Euro U21 this summer or possibly even Olympics with Great Britain.

Eustaquio hopping back across the pond to play in North America does not make any sense for a player intending to compete with a strong Portugal National team player pool.  This and the fact that his U21 Portugal career has ended a year earlier than expected.  Plus he has been in touch and supportive on social media for recent player commitments.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

I agree with you.  As much as I would love Tomori to join, I just can't imagine it coming until after Euro U21 this summer or possibly even Olympics with Great Britain.

Eustaquio hopping back across the pond to play in North America does not make any sense for a player intending to compete with a strong Portugal National team player pool.  This and the fact that his U21 Portugal career has ended a year earlier than expected.  Plus he has been in touch and supportive on social media for recent player commitments.

I believe 2012 was a one off so we don’t need to worry about that.  One would assume that he wants to play for England u21s but if he has convinced himself that he’s going to eventually play for Canada it wouldn’t be all that shocking to see him commit for the Gold Cup.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I believe 2012 was a one off so we don’t need to worry about that.  One would assume that he wants to play for England u21s but if he has convinced himself that he’s going to eventually play for Canada it wouldn’t be all that shocking to see him commit for the Gold Cup.

Our depth in the midfield is currently a little deeper so the addition of Tomori would be much better right now and would sharpen up our backline quite a bit. 

Does Akinola not have a U20 WC to play for with the US?  How about Christian Gutierrez? Although I am not sure that Herdman would refer to him as a "pioneer"...that term although inappropriate re 1986 as previously pointed out, indicates a "bigger name player"