General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

In an attempt to look on the bright side: this year we are playing at least 10 official games.  Thanks to the nations league, we will have more prep games heading into WCQ than we have ever had before.  Also, the team that is likely to play in WCQ is already together and pretty much set .   We are much further ahead now than we were last cycle at this point.  

17 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I also bring up the fact Kosovar Sadiki has switched his allegiance to Albania.

I agree with most of your post. I have been giving the CSA the benefit of the doubt and the fact we have Nations League to give us more games mitigates the friendly problem, but I am getting more impatient now. Especially as you mention, the youth teams not having camps going into World Cup qualifying.

However, I feel like to be fair if you are going to bring up Sadiki switching his allegiance, it should also be mentioned that last year in a friendly-poor year, we cap tied Tabla, Brault-Guillard, Cornelius, David, and Millar*. I'm not sure if there are others that I can't think of at the moment, and I'm not sure if Cornelius had other options. Anyways, it's hard to draw a conclusion that a lack of friendlies will make us worse off in terms of cap tying players. We probably need a larger sample space for that.

*Millar got his first cap in a friendly.

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

In an attempt to look on the bright side: this year we are playing at least 10 official games.  Thanks to the nations league, we will have more prep games heading into WCQ than we have ever had before.  Also, the team that is likely to play in WCQ is already together and pretty much set .   We are much further ahead now than we were last cycle at this point.  

I think the minimum official games we could play this year is more like 6 to 8. We have the French Guiana game in March, then 3 Gold Cup games assuming there isn't a monumental amount of results going the wrong way in qualifying, then there is a good chance we wind up in League A in Nations League, which has 3 team groups with 4 games per team. It's not clear but presumably we could play 2, 3, or 4 games in 2019 in Nations League. There are 3 windows in 2019 and one in March to play our 4 games.

51 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Stop being a CSA apologist!

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think the minimum official games we could play this year is more like 6 to 8. We have the French Guiana game in March, then 3 Gold Cup games assuming there isn't a monumental amount of results going the wrong way in qualifying, then there is a good chance we wind up in League A in Nations League, which has 3 team groups with 4 games per team. It's not clear but presumably we could play 2, 3, or 4 games in 2019 in Nations League. There are 3 windows in 2019 and one in March to play our 4 games.

Wikipedia lists 2 match days in each of Sept, Oct and Nov, and the semifinals and final in March 2020.  But 6 group stage games games doesnt really make sense in a 3 team group so you may be right.

22 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Wikipedia lists 2 match days in each of Sept, Oct and Nov, and the semifinals and final in March 2020.  But 6 group stage games games doesnt really make sense in a 3 team group so you may be right.

Yeah, League B has 4 team groups, and for the 3 team groups in League A and C there will need to be 2 match days, but teams will get byes on some of those.

However, I read it wrong too. I somehow managed to look at qualifying. So the 4 games will all be played in 2019, it won't be split up over March. So our minimum is 8 competitive games this year.

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

Going to be brutally honest with you, i’d pray for us if that was our starting lineup.

We don’t have the cb quality to play 3 at the back and if our wingbacks were more defensive it would still be an idiotic formation seeing as Millar and Davies are not defenders.

This formation looks like one of those Team of the Years each league makes to try and fit in all of their best attacking players

I think our FB’s are even worse than our CB’s just my opinion though. 

20 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think our FB’s are even worse than our CB’s just my opinion though. 

They are but to have 3 at the back you need 3 amazing cbs to hold the back line. If we have 4 players at the back you have more stability

24 minutes ago, canta15 said:

They are but to have 3 at the back you need 3 amazing cbs to hold the back line. If we have 4 players at the back you have more stability

Not necessarily.. TFC’s weakness in 2017 was undoubtedly the backline and the 3 CBs worked well as a unit.

I think we could do 3 CBs and id make one of them Hutchinson.  Honestly our full backs may be weaker than our centre backs so why not stack the middle?  With Hutchinson there he can also push forward into holding midfield if needed.

————-Cavallini-David—————

——————-Hoilett————————

—————Piette—Osorio—————

Davies——————————Arfield

———James-Hutch-Henry———

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Not necessarily.. TFC’s weakness in 2017 was undoubtedly the backline and the 3 CBs worked well as a unit.

I think we could do 3 CBs and id make one of them Hutchinson.  Honestly our full backs may be weaker than our centre backs so why not stack the middle?  With Hutchinson there he can also push forward into holding midfield if needed.

————-Cavallini-David—————

——————-Hoilett————————

—————Piette—Osorio—————

Davies——————————Arfield

———James-Hutch-Henry———

In 2017, Toronto’s weakness may have been defense, but their defense is nowhere near as bad as our defenders. They still had a middle of the back defensive line with one of the best MLS defenders in Mavinga leading it. 

• 4 weeks later...

"It's another player that's played at a big country at youth level and probably had opportunities there, but they see they can be a pioneer in this country."

It's definitely either Tomori or Eustaquio; Tomori makes more sense in terms of his chances of making England's senior team versus Eustaquio's chances of making Portugal's, but I feel like Eustaquio maybe makes more sense in terms of the "pioneer" aspect. Either is definitely a big addition to the NT though, obviously.

Edited by Zem

Had anyone been able to confirm the extent of the injury Eustaquio sustained a few weeks back when he debuted in Mexico? Any news in the Mexican media? If it was a “done for the season” Ferreira style knee injury, I’m not sure he’d be the guy to announce while on the long term injury list. Hopefully his knock was not so serious but haven’t seen any news about him so wondering. Him or Tomori would be great to add to the pool. 

Eustaquio blew his ACL in his first Liga MX game and I believe is out for the season, ruling him out of the March game. Tomori is more likely for March, but he is a starter for England U21 who play in the U21 Euro this summer. But if he really does want to be "a pioneer" there is no better time than the present! Exciting times!

Edit: According to TransferMarkt, Eustaquio's injury is indeed long term, and his return is expected on September 1st.

Edited by Jith12

Ferreira and Eustaquio are both injured so it must be Tomori.. 

Obviously he wants to commit before he gets a season/career ending injury like many before him. ?

Edit: Maybe Bassong? He has played for Belgium youth.  Doubt it’s Ferdi K (at Fenerbahce) or Dom Yankov (Bulgaria isn’t a big nation). 

Edited by Keegan

CMNT targeting 2022...

This article is from CPL site and does anyone here belief  CMNT can in fact make it to 2022?

It will be tough, but yes I can see CMNT actually getting to WC2022. Many nations are starting to get out of their Golden generation or highest level i.e Costa Rica. I feel what is currently happening with CMNT and the moves towards improvement overall on all level can and should get CMNT to 2022.

@saladroit can't watch this video is it on youtube?

Edited by Scorpion26