General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I will give credit where credit is due and he is doing a good job getting guys to commit to the team.

I think that is a real game changer in Canadian soccer.  For those of us who were around to see the damage that the "Ho" defection caused and be subjected to ridiculous posts that said it would be the best thing for Canadian soccer, it really is a ray of sunshine.  I will give full credit to him for helping turn that around and it couldn't have been an easy task.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think that is a real game changer in Canadian soccer.  For those of us who were around to see the damage that the "Ho" defection caused and be subjected to ridiculous posts that said it would be the best thing for Canadian soccer, it really is a ray of sunshine.  I will give full credit to him for helping turn that around and it couldn't have been an easy task.

Well a bit easier than it had been with all the rumors and eventual announcement of the WC hosting gig. Thats a pretty sweet carrot to dangle in front of the current crop of teenagers (Davies/Tabla/Millar/David/Busti/ZBG) some of whom we might have lost in previous cycles.  

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

What's with all the gangsta crossed arm posses in our CMNT videos recently? Does Herdman think he is leading a group of badass cartel soldiers? I guess at least Eustaquio is playing in the right country for that but it looks ridiculous. Still other than that a nice video and a promising player to get a commitment from. As much as I am critical of the Herdman hire and some of the things he has done I will give credit where credit is due and he is doing a good job getting guys to commit to the team.

Crossing arms is not lawyers, or real estate agents, or Herdman's footballers. It is photographers and film producers trying to figure out what to do with hands, nothing more. 

Though it is true, profs never pose like that because we use our hands to think. 

I thought it was a nice video and it is good to here his voice and his take on things, if he's proud, I am just as proud, though I've never seen him play.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Crossing arms is not lawyers, or real estate agents, or Herdman's footballers. It is photographers and film producers trying to figure out what to do with hands, nothing more.

Really?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Though it is true, profs never pose like that because we use our hands to think.

Sorry, couldn't resist ?

ZCFd0th.jpg

24 minutes ago, Zem said:

It's a very standard pose used in football photoshoots literally everywhere, I'm shocked multiple people on a football forum are actually confused by this.

Methinks you have your sarcasm radar turned off. 

I spent 10 years in TV and in my early days we were amused by seeing how many ways a newspaper photographer could show a cheque presentation without the traditional holding the giant cheque between two people and shaking hands.

The arms folded was one of those stereotypes like only showing a pretty girl in the stands as a cutaway shot.  Cliche stuff that pros stayed away from.  But as was said I spose it's some sort of gangsta pretending cliche now and a stock shot to take but hopefully not overuse.

I still remember being thrown into news (from production) and not having a clue.  Thankfully a guy helped me out by telling me there were seven stock shots you could take at any news conference that would get you enough to decently piece together a story.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You never see an athlete do this:

Seriously, I'm not trying to bust your ass because this topic is fun, but the first thing that came into my head was the classic scene from Ken Burns' Baseball about Earl Weaver.  The arguing, juxtaposed with the classic peacenik song from The Youngbloods (Get Together) a surreally (if that's a word) funny moment.  He does the coolest point at 1:45

If anyone hasn't seen Baseball, I would highly recommend it, even my ex who knew nothing about baseball loved it, particularly Lou Gehrig and Christy Mathewson who highly revered their wives.

2 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Is that the one where Gregory Peck played Kevan Pipe?

I think it was Wally Cox.

Contrary to popular belief 'ol Wally was actually playing against type and was somewhat ripped, his best friend, screen tough guy Marlon Brando always wanted to fight with him and Wally would always kick his ass.

17 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Say what you will about Herdman and his plan, but you just can't go wrong with "more Atibas more often"!

There are some of us old enough to remember Holger inviting this skinny kid (from the Lynx?) to make senior appearances.  Holger obviously saw that one coming.

Time has certainly flew,  I am reminded of the trajectory of his career (from Wikipedia)

QHd4PAx.png

Back off topic again.  How's this for a photo op stereotype.  I'm waiting for Trudeau to give his speech on his reaction to the Philpott resignation.  CBC has a discussion panel going and the shot of where Trudeau is to speak is in the bottom corner of the screen.

It's been at least a half hour, likely near an hour (as I haven't been paying attention to the time) but they've had the "diversity" group of people standing behind the podium for all that time.  They've been there so long that I noticed it and then the panel has actually started to comment on it.  They're still waiting for Trudeau to show up :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy