General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

34 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Back off topic again.  How's this for a photo op stereotype.  I'm waiting for Trudeau to give his speech on his reaction to the Philpott resignation.  CBC has a discussion panel going and the shot of where Trudeau is to speak is in the bottom corner of the screen.

It's been at least a half hour, likely near an hour (as I haven't been paying attention to the time) but they've had the "diversity" group of people standing behind the podium for all that time.  They've been there so long that I noticed it and then the panel has actually started to comment on it.  They're still waiting for Trudeau to show up :)

WTF does this have to do with this thread, the NT or soccer?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know who has the tv rights for Euro 2020 qualifying? I can't find anything online and am afraid it will turn out like the Uefa Nations League and not be broadcast at all.

Sorry I posted it here, but the World Soccer forum has not been used in about a month. So lets just say i'm scouting our competition for when we qualify for the 2022 World Cup.

It looks like Guatemala is trying to arrange a new friendly for March 26th (2 days after our match with French Guiana) since their friendly in Trinidad and Tobago has just been cancelled. Based on this wording in a tweet from the Guatemalan federation, it sounds like we're closer to being the choice out of the 3 countries they're talking to: "Canada could be the potential rival although there are 2 more selections."

Who knows if it works out. I'd assume we would be hosting since Guatemala was prepared to travel to T&T anyway. If you've been hoping for a 2-match window for CanMNT, there's a chance you might be getting your wish. ?

I mean it would be cool if we employed a little common sense for once.  Wow, just imagine a two match window with FG and Guatemala.. in Canadian soccer terms we would be spoiled. 

A two match home window?  That hasn’t happened in almost a decade. 

Would doing this in the future not SAVE us money and time?  We can move more tickets and we aren’t flying guys around the world to sit on the bench.  Is there something I’m missing? 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

A two match home window?  That hasn’t happened in almost a decade. 

The last 2 home friendlies in the same window was in September 2010 I think. One game in Toronto against Peru and another one in MTL against Honduras. That's a while ago....

Edited by aloyol

1 hour ago, jtpc said:

It looks like Guatemala is trying to arrange a new friendly for March 26th (2 days after our match with French Guiana) since their friendly in Trinidad and Tobago has just been cancelled. Based on this wording in a tweet from the Guatemalan federation, it sounds like we're closer to being the choice out of the 3 countries they're talking to: "Canada could be the potential rival although there are 2 more selections."

Who knows if it works out. I'd assume we would be hosting since Guatemala was prepared to travel to T&T anyway. If you've been hoping for a 2-match window for CanMNT, there's a chance you might be getting your wish. ?

I would be shocked if they can pull this off on such short notice. I hope i'm wrong.

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

Anyone know who has the tv rights for Euro 2020 qualifying? I can't find anything online and am afraid it will turn out like the Uefa Nations League and not be broadcast at all.

TVA is listed as having Euro 2020 rights (and no one else so far). But I don't think that includes qualifiers, which were sold separately for 2016.

No one has them as far as I can tell - so presumably like UEFA Nations league, it won't be available legally in Canada.

On the topic of our lack of friendlies, as well as our success in recruiting dual nationals recently, I have a 100% speculative unifying theory. Maybe we started making bigger payments to national teamers. I might be wrong, but I believe players get some sort of stipend for each camp and/or game they go to. If those payments have been upped (I have no idea how much they typically are, or even if it varies from one player to the next) then perhaps that could be why we can't afford friendlies, and maybe it's also why we are getting more participation. Let's remember that it's not just guys like Balou and Eustaquio committing, we are also getting much more participation from our best guys it seems. Like, right now we (well, some of 'we') are complaining that a guy with 2 pro starts isn't in the squad. In years past it was things like "Oh, it's better for his club situation for Osorio to stay home, and it's too much travel for Will Johnson, and this guy has this potential excuse, and this other guy this other potential excuse", etc.

Anyways, like I said, this is 100% speculation based on circumstantial evidence and I'd be shocked if I was right, but just a little theory I thought I'd share.

How about a much simpler solution...the WC is coming to canada??  Duals are joining in larger and higher quality due to that.  Young ones are thinking they can be part, older guys are thinking, wow maybe canada isnt such a bad choice even if I'll be 35 when the WC rolls around.  And players already involved might have more incentive to come back and play with said hot youngsters.  Although that wouldnt explain the lack of friendlies.  

We'll have to wait a little longer for that 2-match window at home. Nicaragua has agreed to host Guatemala on March 26th. Even though it would have been challenging to pull something together basically in 10 days, it was nice for a moment to think there's a small chance it could be us. According to different online articles, it sounds like Puerto Rico was the 3rd option being considered.

Edited by jtpc

So Nicaragua is playing a friendly in addition to the CONCACAF Nations League Qualifier?  And Guatemala has two friendlies coming up?  And both of those teams played in friendlies vs El Salvador and Bolivia last week?

So Nicaragua can afford two friendlies and a Nations League qualifier in March and Guatemala can afford 3 friendlies in March and El Salvador gets 2 friendlies and nations League game in March but Canada CANNOT get a 2nd match to play? 

Something is wrong.  Even the Non-Fifa window friendlies (such as the games last week) allow for domestic players to get games in.

Even the US & Mexico have two quality opponent friendlies this month and they had a National Team camps in January & February.

Edited by Corazon

19 minutes ago, Corazon said:

So Nicaragua is playing a friendly in addition to the CONCACAF Nations League Qualifier?  And Guatemala has two friendlies coming up?  And both of those teams played in friendlies vs El Salvador and Bolivia last week?

So Nicaragua can afford two friendlies and a Nations League qualifier in March and Guatemala can afford 3 friendlies in March and El Salvador gets 2 friendlies and nations League game in March but Canada CANNOT get a 2nd match to play? 

Something is wrong.  Even the Non-Fifa window friendlies (such as the games last week) allow for domestic players to get games in.

Even the US & Mexico have two quality opponent friendlies this month and they had a National Team camps in January & February.

And no one in Canadian Soccer Media has asked about why we only do one march a window.

I can’t think about the lack of games anymore.  How a country in our position economically and one that supposedly supports athletics can allow our men’s representatives in the biggest sport on the world stage to not maximize the opportunities is a travesty.  We have all the momentum in the world going for us and next to no media coverage largely in part to the fact that the team rarely plays. Maybe Vic created the Concacaf LON to force Canada to play. 

It's all bullshit. 
One of the caveats of John Herdman being the HC of the CMNT was that he be a form of a puppet. 
Puppets are know how to talk for people and say things nobody really wants to hear.

OZ was clamouring for more friendlies against elite talent (which cost dollars), going against the grain was his demise. 

Looking at all the other CONCACAF rosters (the strongest roster that we could all call)  I think it is worth noting that our group of forwards and midfield on paper would rate 3rd in the entire region behind both US and Mexico, pretty comparable with both Honduras and Costa Rica, but I would take our group over theirs.

Our defence/goalie would definitely be behind Costa Rica and pretty comparable with both Honduras and Jamaica, so somewhere between 4th and 6th.

Our roster is also much younger so lots of potential to move up. 

22 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Looking at all the other CONCACAF rosters (the strongest roster that we could all call)  I think it is worth noting that our group of forwards and midfield on paper would rate 3rd in the entire region behind both US and Mexico, pretty comparable with both Honduras and Costa Rica, but I would take our group over theirs.

Our defence/goalie would definitely be behind Costa Rica and pretty comparable with both Honduras and Jamaica, so somewhere between 4th and 6th.

Our roster is also much younger so lots of potential to move up. 

We need to actually play good teams to see where we stack up. How many times did we look good on paper then lose to Martinique 1-0 in the 90th minute?