General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 3/16/2019 at 5:16 AM, jpg75 said:

With possible addition of Kuwait or Oman as co-hosts.

If Qataris have a choice the co-host would be Oman. Oman and Kuwait are officially neutral in the debate, but Kuwait is defacto on the Saudi/UAE side. Meanwhile Oman and Qatar get along really well. The blockade has actually significantly increased shipping profits for Oman. That would give me a great excuse to visit Oman again after we move home this summer!

36 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

About to beat a dead horse, but fuck 8ts annoying how we only play 1 game, and I look at other concacaf nations playing 2.

Trinidad playing in a nice friendly vs Euro 2016 semi finalists Wales today.  We get French Guiana this weekend.  

21 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Trinidad playing in a nice friendly vs Euro 2016 semi finalists Wales today.  We get French Guiana this weekend.  

Knowing how to beat teams teams like French Guiana will get us to the World Cup, not Wales. The problem of our matches is not the quality of the them but the quantity.

Of course there is a line drawn where you don’t want to be playing teams who never make the Gold Cup twice a window

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Knowing how to beat teams teams like French Guiana will get us to the World Cup, not Wales. The problem of our matches is not the quality of the them but the quantity.

Of course there is a line drawn where you don’t want to be playing teams who never make the Gold Cup twice a window

Ok how about a game vs Costa Rica/Jamaica/Panama...etc  etc. Take Cornelius for e.g. he has looked good so far against minnows but has not performed well in MLS so far..early days yet but we go into the GC with players that have not been tested aginst strong competition

Edited by Kadenge

31 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Wales has a better shot of playing in concacaf WCQ than French Guiana. 

Trinidad is playing Wales.. just wow.  I wonder what type of turnout we would get for that game in Canada.  Just imagine Canada v Wales.. Davies v Bale.  That is the type of friendly that is reasonable but brings in some serious $$. 

What are our excuses? You can’t tell me Trinidad can afford that and we can’t.

43 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Fair assessment but completely irrelevant to the point I was trying to get across.  A game vs Wales would definitely provide other benefits and great experience outside of CONCACAF competition.  We could easily play French Guiana and include a friendly vs a team like Wales or Trinidad.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Wales has a better shot of playing in concacaf WCQ than French Guiana. 

Trinidad is playing Wales.. just wow.  I wonder what type of turnout we would get for that game in Canada.  Just imagine Canada v Wales.. Davies v Bale.  That is the type of friendly that is reasonable but brings in some serious $$. 

What are our excuses? You can’t tell me Trinidad can afford that and we can’t.

The game was in Wales.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I want Canada to play more games as well, but this is a silly comparison. 

1. We don't have a say in the French Guiana match. It's compulsory.
2. As per 1., we can't expect the team to play in Wales on Wednesday then fly all the way to Vancouver for the FG match on Sunday.

4 hours ago, RS said:

I want Canada to play more games as well, but this is a silly comparison. 

1. We don't have a say in the French Guiana match. It's compulsory.
2. As per 1., we can't expect the team to play in Wales on Wednesday then fly all the way to Vancouver for the FG match on Sunday.

Maybe I should explain the context of my comments after I post them now.  It is not a comparison but rather just a statement of where our associations are currently separated.  First of all Trinidad doesn't have to qualify for Nations league as we do (which speaks volumes itself) and second they are flying to Wales for friendlies.

1) I wasn't by any means expecting us to forgo a compulsory competitive game for friendly. 

2) I was not suggesting that we fly across the world to Europe for a friendly only a few days before a competitive game.

I do not know why anyone would think I was insinuating either of those from my statement.

12 hours ago, Corazon said:

Maybe I should explain the context of my comments after I post them now.  It is not a comparison but rather just a statement of where our associations are currently separated.  First of all Trinidad doesn't have to qualify for Nations league as we do (which speaks volumes itself) and second they are flying to Wales for friendlies.

1) I wasn't by any means expecting us to forgo a compulsory competitive game for friendly. 

2) I was not suggesting that we fly across the world to Europe for a friendly only a few days before a competitive game.

I do not know why anyone would think I was insinuating either of those from my statement.

My overall point is that, while we all agree that the team needs more games, it's not as easy as pointing to other teams and saying "look, they're doing it."

I used your example of Trinidad to point out that every country has its own set of variables that it needs to take into consideration when planning games (or the lack thereof, in our case).

Still, I'm with you. After this window there is no more excuse to not maximize the number of  matches the team will play.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If this devolves into a discussion of who has the stronger 4th/5th tier, I am going to start drinking.

I think your missing the point. We are losing young players because they weren’t called up. If we played more games across the board from U17 and up, we wouldn’t be losing them.

more games require a deeper pool of players  which would give us more opportunity for players and at the end of day players want to showcase  their talent to the world and play  against the best. 

Haitian players were given the opportunity play against Argentina  when was the last time Canada was given that opportunity, it was YEARS AGO!  

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I think your missing the point. We are losing young players because they weren’t called up. If we played more games across the board from U17 and up, we wouldn’t be losing them.

This has been your argument in the past in regards to senior players but that's turned out not to be true. 

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

more games require a deeper pool of players  which would give us more opportunity for players and at the end of day players want to showcase  their talent to the world and play  against the best. 

Haitian players were given the opportunity play against Argentina  when was the last time Canada was given that opportunity, it was YEARS AGO!  

I think for young players it's scouting rather than more friendlies that would help us catch more players in our nets.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I think for young players it's scouting rather than more friendlies that would help us catch more players in our nets.

More Scouting is  definitely needed .  But once they scout got all these great players, they need  games for them to play in.  I know some believe that  friendlies are just a waste of time and money but they’re really necessary ,  they keep players interested in the program ,  get fans opportunities to see their  favourite players,  it allows players to showcase their talent to world.  Specially for the young players like the U17,U20, U23

Edited by SpecialK

17 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Everyone should read this !! 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/2019/3/20/18263934/canadian-soccer-expat-miki-cantave-haiti

if we had more games and against a mix of teams we could developed and keep our pool of players. But again the CSA is run by a bunch of clowns with egos.

I  was asking what folks thought about this sort of player in the CPL, since they are Canadians, but have chosen another country to represent. Not that Miki would necessarily make that move. 

He was with Getafe u-19s, had a bad knee injury, came back and signed with a 3rd tier team, Guadalajara. But they relegated. Since then he has been in the north of Spain in 4th tier. I agree it is too low for a NT call-up, although he does have some talent down the wing.

After we ignored him for the NZ friendly, played in Spain, he quickly made the move for Haiti. I think, frankly, his tier is really too low for them as well.