General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Scorpion26, actually Klinsmann wasn't that bad as the clueless American soccer media portrayed him. After all he's won a WC and set up reforms that led to Germany winning 2014 WC. He's played, coached, and watched soccer at levels higher than any American past or present and his ideas went over their heads and instead of cooperating and admit that they needed to be taught the basics of soccer, the Yanks simply ran him out with the excuse of he can't coach. Klinsi's right about the mediocrity of MLS and a non-existent development system and American players being low achievers. They never gave him a chance to really follow through as they just wanted quick results and instant gratification instead of knowing that it takes time for reforms and overhauling of the US soccer culture and league system. And it was stupid for MLS to criticize him publicly after he called out the garbage quality of the league dragging down the USMNT by luring top players back from Europe and devoiding them of a daily competitive environment needed to stay in top shape.

Right now I think Herdman and Montagliani is doing what Klinsmann meant to do with the US but the Americans were too ignorant and impatient to really do their part. Canada fortunately is better than this and has taken the reforms really well. And about Klinsi's "experiments" he was testing the versatility of the players by putting them out of their comfort zone to see how well they adapt. I had been in plenty of those situations at my job where I was assigned to tasks I'm not familiar with and instead of complaining I just ask questions and learn by practice.

And Canada's A-team at least is already superior to the USA's. All Canada need is more depth at senior and youth levels and hopefully the CPL will achieve that. Right now only Canada has the potential to challenge Mexico and become Concacaf's #2 team unless we see another wave of talent from Costa Rica or Honduras or if Jamaica can convert a bunch of players in England (they haven't been successful getting Leon Bailey who continues to evade the Reggae Boyz).

• 2 weeks later...

FiFa ranking

Canada is ranked 78th and I wonder if CMNT win GC in 2019, how far up would they move?

Well we got some time to wait until next game and after that game CPL starts exciting. Hope to see CPL have a few players get called into CMNT for GC 2019. Exciting times for CMNT and Herdman is leading the way hopeful for many successful wins.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I might have stumbled upon an interesting tidbit of information. Marcus Godinho was interviewed by the Edinburgh Evening News in an article that was published this past Tuesday. While the article was about his comeback from injury, he did make a comment about his international career with us.

The quote was: “We have games coming up in February and March. We’ve also qualified for the Gold Cup next June so I’ll be looking to get involved with that if I’m fully fit.” 

If Godinho is not mistaken, it would appear that we might have a "Camp Poutine" coming up sometime in February. According to the FIFA Calendar, there is no international break in February, but the MLS season does not start until March, meaning that a largely domestically based roster is likely, if this game is happening at all. 

Cha-ching! ?

Thanks Phonzie!  I just ordered a Hutchinson umbro but that’s okay.  

Hopefully we finally get the custom kit we deserve.  I honestly feel like our last kit suppliers have made sure that our style matched our level of play out there... we always wore cookie cutter and the one time we didn’t (centennial jersey) they only wore it once and stopped selling it.  Seriously, to this day the decision to discontinue that kit/design and not use it in the future was an epic fail.

Umbro was better than Adidas but Nike will blow them out of the water.  Hopefully we can get some good looking kits like the US, Mexico and Jamaica. 

Edit: and wow.. our own ad!  It really shouldn’t have took this long for someone to jump on the sport in this country - kinda pisses me off but better late than never.  It would be nice if it’s just not Phonzie all the time (I know he’s a Nike athlete) but make some ads that bring in guys like Hoilett, Borjan etc. Grow the game past on name.

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Cha-ching! ?

Thanks Phonzie!  I just ordered a Hutchinson umbro but that’s okay.  

Hopefully we finally get the custom kit we deserve.  I honestly feel like our last kit suppliers have made sure that our style matched our level of play out there... we always wore cookie cutter and the one time we didn’t (centennial jersey) they only wore it once and stopped selling it.  Seriously, to this day the decision to discontinue that kit/design and not use it in the future was an epic fail.

Umbro was better than Adidas but Nike will blow them out of the water.  Hopefully we can get some good looking kits like the US, Mexico and Jamaica. 

and a few more dimes to help with friendlies

3 minutes ago, masster said:

I'm curious to know how long this agreement is. I wonder if it takes us right through 2026. That will be the year that is valuable for companies like Nike. I hope the CSA made some cash.

If this runs right through to 2026 it should be able to carry all our friendlies from here until then.. then again it’s the CSA.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Hopefully we finally get the custom kit we deserve.  I honestly feel like our last kit suppliers have made sure that our style matched our level of play out there... we always wore cookie cutter and the one time we didn’t (centennial jersey) they only wore it once and stopped selling it.

Have you been paying attention to the national teams that wear Nike? They're easy to spot because they all look exactly the same.

Expect that for Canada, as well.

That said, I'm sure the money from Nike is much better than from Umbro so if we're going to wear cookie-cutter uniforms we might as well get paid more to do so.

While our kits may be Nike templates used around the world, the real exciting part for me is the non-kit gear. 

Take a peek online at some of the teamwear (jackets, tracksuits, shirts, sweaters etc.) that Nike produces for other national teams and clubs - I can't wait to see the Canada badge on that gear (although my wallet won't like it). 

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

From the man himself. 

CPL effect through CSB already paying off without a ball being kicked yet

Right, I had forgotten about him and the CSB angle. He used to work with Nike in the Middle East or something right? It pays to have connections!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, Kadenge said:

and a few more dimes to help with friendlies

Having Nike might get more friendlies for CMNT with many National teams are part of Nike family. What about that supposed Friendly to occur I believe in Feb any word on that rumor?

Davies effect should be great for CMNT. He will succeed I'm sure.

19 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

The US has a training camp for its U-20, U-19 and U-17 teams: https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/982132

Why isn't Canada Soccer organizing something similar? 

And dont even mention why we arent running a Jan (camp pouine) with a friendly.  We all squawked last year but I guess now we are used to no camps/games.

58 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And dont even mention why we arent running a Jan (camp pouine) with a friendly.  We all squawked last year but I guess now we are used to no camps/games.

It's ridiculous on all levels. Not least as the program has a bit of momentum especially in terms of coverage in the media. Beyond all the other obvious benefits a training camp and friendly could also have been another great opportunity to amp up and plug the CPL start up. 

Disappointing doesn't begin describe, it is a missed opportunity on all levels and another reminder as to why we continue to be behind other countries. 

Phew...that all got a bit knee jerky quickly but we do tend to shoot ourselves in the foot as a reaction to doing something good. 

Well it is unprecedented, if you look back 4 years ago in 2015 we had a 2 camp window against Iceland.  I'd like to see how this current pool does in such a window as the domestic team has improved greatly since then.  Two years in a row now without a January camp when our domestic team is better than ever.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

My only guess is that the CSA is going all in for the CPL. Otherwise I don’t have an excuse for them - and even then, that’s just a bad decision to dip into the funds of a golden generation.

This is my hope as well, but if it is the case that they are diverting funds towards the CPL I think it’s a good decision. Long term CPL has to succeed or else we are doomed to being minnows, possibly even in women’s soccer. CPL has talked about the women’s game being in their plans, so we need it to succeed for both genders to catch up/keep up.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

This is my hope as well, but if it is the case that they are diverting funds towards the CPL I think it’s a good decision. Long term CPL has to succeed or else we are doomed to being minnows, possibly even in women’s soccer. CPL has talked about the women’s game being in their plans, so we need it to succeed for both genders to catch up/keep up.

If this is the reason for no training camps and games then it just goes to show you how far behind we are from other CONCACAF teams.