General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

I'm surprised that nobody has touched on David's and Larin's positions yet considering they're the ones that have altered roles this season. Does anyone think Larin will play wing for Canada?

I continue to be surprised at the consensus on Davies position for Canada

Edited by Aird25

31 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm surprised that nobody has touched on David's and Larin's positions yet considering they're the ones that have altered roles this season. Does anyone think Larin will play wing for Canada?

I commented earlier (not sure if it was in this thread or not, might have been in Larin's thread) that I am warming up to David as the striker with Davies and Larin on their inverted wings running into the space created by David's runs.

35 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Yeah, this could be really interesting. I've been trying to watch every Besiktas game, and Larin has sort of identified this exploit that tends to really confuse other teams. Someone on r/besiktas I think said he plays as a shadow striker, except from the wing, which I think is the best way to put it. 

He'll definitely make the occasional run up the side, but otherwise, he'll be right with Aboubakar up front. This creates this situation where the full back isn't sure whether he should be marking him in the box, or staying on the flank to cover the LB (hmmm do we have one of those? :) There are definitely attacking wingers, but I don't think I've seen anyone commit to this niche role as much as him.

If he can do something similar for Canada, that would leave the other team with a pretty difficult choice... leave Larin alone in the box, or leave Davies open on the left. It's definitely unusual, but it sounds fun on paper.

7 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Yeah, this could be really interesting. I've been trying to watch every Besiktas game, and Larin has sort of identified this exploit that tends to really confuse other teams. Someone on r/besiktas I think said he plays as a shadow striker, except from the wing, which I think is the best way to put it. 

He'll definitely make the occasional run up the side, but otherwise, he'll be right with Aboubakar up front. This creates this situation where the full back isn't sure whether he should be marking him in the box, or staying on the flank to cover the LB (hmmm do we have one of those? :) There are definitely attacking wingers, but I don't think I've seen anyone commit to this niche role as much as him.

If he can do something similar for Canada, that would leave the other team with a pretty difficult choice... leave Larin alone in the box, or leave Davies open on the left. It's definitely unusual, but it sounds fun on paper.

To borrow a term I learned from Football Manager, perhaps he plays as a bit of a 'ramdeuter'? I haven't watched any Besiktas matches so I can't comment on his role.

24 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I felt like ghosting into space was one of David's best qualities at Gent as well. I still don't love him as a #9. he loses too many duels. I'd be interested to see a front three of Larin - Cavillini - David, with Davies and perhaps Buchanan providing the width. Cav can occupy the CB and make near post runs leaving David and Larin to find space. I think that's largely the role David played when he won golden boot at the gold cup

Edited by Aird25

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I felt like ghosting into space was one of David's best qualities at Gent as well. I still don't love him as a #9. he loses too many duels. I'd be interested to see a front three of Larin - Cavillini - David, with Davies and perhaps Buchanan providing the width. Cav can occupy the CB and make near post runs leaving David and Larin to find space. I think that's largely the role David played when he won golden boot at the gold cup

JH has stated that David is best playing behind a striker

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Who would you start at CM right now ?

Can we fit Estaquio, Davies and Hutch in a midfield ?

our bench would include all but one of Hoilett, Arfield, Osorio, Kaye... I love having these problems.

In our normal 4-3-3, David at CAM, one of Hutch/Arfield and Eustaquio at CM. In a diamond (or box) mid like vs USA, I wouldn’t be opposed to Hutch playing a more advanced role with Arfield or Osorio, with 2 of either Kaye/Eustaquio/Piette playing at the 8 or 6.

---------------David----------------

Larin--Hutchinson--Arfield--Hoilett

-------------Eustaquio--------------

Davies-----------------------Laryea

---------Kennedy--Vitoria-----------

---------------Borjan----------------

David as the 9

Larin as the shadow striker masked as a winger.

Davies attacks the space on the wing vacated by Larin when he joins David in attack.

Hutchinson and Arfield in their dual 8 roles.

Eustaquio as the 6 picking out Davies and others with long range passing.

Hoilett (Buchanan) and Laryea (Johnston) on the opposite side.

Kennedy helps Vitoria with his speed (and helps cover Davies when he is up field), Vitoria helps Kennedy with his experience.

Borjan until Crepeau or (probably) St. Clair prove they are better.

Subs:

Kaye and Osorio for Hutchinson and Arfield.

Piette for Eustaquio

Cavallini for David

Buchanan for Hoilett 

Johnston for Laryea

Miller for Kennedy 

Henry for Vitoria

St. Clair for Borjan

On deck:

Millar, Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez, Adekugbe, Cornelius, Crepeau, Baldisimo, Corbeanu, Nelson, Fraser

14 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I also agree that having Cavallini would be interesting. Not because he is at the level, but because having that kind of player frees up the others. He fixes the CBs who can't leave their spots, are tied down, and then both Larin and David can do their thing. So is this a  4-3-3 we are talking about? As long as Larin and David, or alternating, track back and get behind the ball, we are fine. 

Cavallini coming back to defend on set pieces.

I am not saying this is all sorted out, but it does make the attack more logical. And also in function of whether Cav comes out strong this year, he has to be on form.

Is this the most club success our top  European players have ever had? I have been following pretty closely a lot of leagues (Turkish, Portuguese, French, etc..) even rival teams without Canadians that I wouldn't normally follow because of the CanCon throughout Europe. Having players on winning/successful clubs only helps our national team as players come in used to winning and expecting that to continue for the national team.

Davies/Munich. Will likely win the German league and also ongoing in the Champions league knockout. Also will more than likely be the first Canadian to win the Club World Cup.

David/Lille. A regular for the French league leaders. The next couple weeks will be huge both domestically and continentally for them.

Larin, Hutchinson/Besiktas Both are having outstanding seasons. Team is currently in a 3 way tie for the Turkish league and in quarterfinals of the Turkish cup.

Arfield/Rangers. Will win the Scottish league for the first time since 2011 quite handily over Celtic. Also have a winnable match-up in Europa.

Borjan/Red Star. Will likely win the Serbian league once again. In quarterfinals of the Serbian cup, but have a tough match up with AC Milan in Europa.

Eustaquio/Ferreira. Have a realistic chance to finish 3rd in the Portuguese League, which would match their best ever season.

Adekugbe/Valerenga. Finished 3rd in Norway and qualified for Europa League.

Kennedy/Regensburg. Into the quarterfinals of the German cup.

Millar/Charlton. League One promotion battle.

Elva/Ingoldstat. 3. Liga promotion battle.

Wotherspoon/St. Johnstone. Scottish League Cup final.

Edited by Stryker911

While this is very exciting (I am very bullish on CANMNT right now).. we really need to put up some big results over the next few years. It is just so damn important. I have been following this team for the majority of my life now and this does indeed (on paper) seem to be the strongest team we've ever had. To fast-forward 10 years and to imagine this generation not succeeding is a little frightening. This may be a little doom and gloom but we've seen generations fall flat (some were expected to) and the ripple effect was quite harsh for the coming years. This generation must capture their expected-value (Gold Cup success, World Cup appearances, inspiring the nation) or we could find ourselves in very dark days in the future. 

Executing and putting up results has never been more important, imo. 

2 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

While this is very exciting (I am very bullish on CANMNT right now).. we really need to put up some big results over the next few years. It is just so damn important. I have been following this team for the majority of my life now and this does indeed (on paper) seem to be the strongest team we've ever had. To fast-forward 10 years and to imagine this generation not succeeding is a little frightening. This may be a little doom and gloom but we've seen generations fall flat (some were expected to) and the ripple effect was quite harsh for the coming years. This generation must capture their expected-value (Gold Cup success, World Cup appearances, inspiring the nation) or we could find ourselves in very dark days in the future. 

tl;dr Obvious is obvious, Canada must win important games. No excuses. Long-time fan is cautiously-optimistic. 

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

The real question is what constitutes “big results”.  We did beat the US before the big pause.  If we consider Mexico to be generally in a different class (and that may seem defeatist but they have historically been so much stronger I want to be realistic) then it is really about getting into that 3rd or 4th spot in CONCACAF.  In short we need to get the results that will put us in a position to be in Qatar.  That will mean going down to Central America and getting results in a way we haven’t been able to do, learning how to hold Mexico to a draw, and/or more frequently getting a win against the US. None of those things is unrealistic but none will come easy - despite our strong fantasy footy team.  

The first thing that’s needs to happen is qualifying for the octagonal. This gives us the opportunity to win meaningful games. Then we need to follow that up with a decisive win in Central America. We’ve proven we can beat these teams at home and in the gold cup, but now do it in places like Tegucigalpa, San Jose, Panama City or San Salvador. Again, ill remind everyone- November, 2004 was our last win there. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The real question is what constitutes “big results”.  We did beat the US before the big pause.  If we consider Mexico to be generally in a different class (and that may seem defeatist but they have historically been so much stronger I want to be realistic) then it is really about getting into that 3rd or 4th spot in CONCACAF.  In short we need to get the results that will put us in a position to be in Qatar.  That will mean going down to Central America and getting results in a way we haven’t been able to do, learning how to hold Mexico to a draw, and/or more frequently getting a win against the US. None of those things is unrealistic but none will come easy - despite our strong fantasy footy team.  

Big results relative to what we've produced thus far. So yes, getting points in Central America... something like snatching an away win vs the US, getting to the finals of the Gold Cup, etc. I'm not expecting them to take over the region, but like you mentioned, it's about consolidating that 3rd/4th spot in CONCACAF.

The win in Toronto vs the US was monumental but at the end of the day, it's one inspiring result. We need many more of those and as we know with international football, those opportunities don't come around so often. 

Me thinks the first thing we need to do is stop being afraid of playing minnows (ooohh some second or third division player might come play for them!!!) and beat them by at least 3 or 4 goals, not just scrapping by. Then we could start thinking of being the third best team in the region. All of which to say I believe will happen soon (I hope).

The US also has a ton of young players doing well in top leagues right now, and Tigres just became the first Concacaf team to make the club World Cup. Hopefully with this talent we can surpass some of the other teams in the region and make it competitive against the big two

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Me thinks the first thing we need to do is stop being afraid of playing minnows (ooohh some second or third division player might come play for them!!!) and beat them by at least 3 or 4 goals, not just scrapping by. Then we could start thinking of being the third best team in the region. All of which to say I believe will happen soon (I hope).

November 19, 2019 - Toluca, Mexico - Mexico 2-1 Bermuda

Needed a goal in the 93rd minute to win that one.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I am usually the one to point out that Bermuda has had some fantastic results in recent years, but I wonder if the break in play due to covid may have disrupted their rhythm? Were Bermuda really that good or were they just on a roll?

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Miracles happen.  I bet if they play another 20 games it'll won't happen again.

BTW thanks for proving my point.😀

Edited by MtlMario

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am usually the one to point out that Bermuda has had some fantastic results in recent years, but I wonder if the break in play due to covid may have disrupted their rhythm? Were Bermuda really that good or were they just on a roll?

Maybe Bermuda was on a roll based on some recent results and because they typically lose by a bigger margin to Mexico.

And just a month before they lost 1-2 in Mexico, they lost 1-5 in Bermuda. Difference in second match was that Mexico had already clinched and switched out about 6 players. So assuming a motivated Canada line up even if it is Bish should win.

9 hours ago, red card said:

Maybe Bermuda was on a roll based on some recent results and because they typically lose by a bigger margin to Mexico.

And just a month before they lost 1-2 in Mexico, they lost 1-5 in Bermuda. Difference in second match was that Mexico had already clinched and switched out about 6 players. So assuming a motivated Canada line up even if it is Bish should win.

I can pull out a bunch more results like that. This one is the most obvious though.

Should we win?  Sure.  Should we smash teams by 3 or 4 goals easily?  No.  Not if you've been paying attention to the rest of the region.