General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

Central Back is such a weak spot for us  So I will go with Vittoria  and  Henry 

1st US game pairing was Cornelius & Vitoria 

2nd game pairing was Henry & Vitoria 

One of those was a disaster and when Henry went down and was replaced by Cornelius, defense looked better but harm was already done.

I take Zator ahead of Henry any day of the week

2 minutes ago, One American said:

Since I'm having this discussion on BigSoccer, are there any real #9 forwards who are about the same age or younger than Akinola? Guys who have a chance to be better? David, obviously, but David can play a more withdrawn role. 

The sense I have is that most of the best young Canadian talent is midfield, wing, and goalkeeper.

Liam Millar at Liverpool.

I think Theo Corbeanu can play there as well but he's been used as a winger ar Wolves

Charles-Andreas Brym at Mouscron

Jordan Perruzza at TFC

Others would know more about what's coming up here in Canada - David did come out of nowhere so it's hard to say who else is out there

17 minutes ago, One American said:

Since I'm having this discussion on BigSoccer, are there any real #9 forwards who are about the same age or younger than Akinola? Guys who have a chance to be better? David, obviously, but David can play a more withdrawn role. 

The sense I have is that most of the best young Canadian talent is midfield, wing, and goalkeeper.

We've got a few young #9s right now like Jordan Peruzza, Easton Ongaru, Liam Millar, Theo Bair, Charles-Andreas Brum.

26 minutes ago, One American said:

I don’t know the numbers but I believe Mbongue is a striker 

No Arfield? Johnston had a great season, and I am excited about him, but let's see him in camp first before we list him as a starter. In general I am not a fan of having two left footed center backs, but a lot of teams run two right footed center backs no problem. In fact having two left footers may give an interesting dimension. I am not sure Miller is that far behind Henry, but I take no issue in saying he is behind him. What about Vitoria? James I think must be knocking on the door too. I also think Jakovic could be interesting, maybe not as a starter though. I would trust him as a reliable 3rd option, if he has the right partner. Played well against the Liga MX sides recently. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, One American said:

All the guys mentioned above are primarily wingers so the answer in my mind is "not really".  Ongaro is a nine but frankly, is playing at a low level presently so I don't really put him into the mix until/if he starts playing at a higher level.  Sure, players can emerge but other David, we have no one there in that age bucket at present which is why I believe Akinola would be a big get for us (as I am also of the view that David will eventually be played in his club career as a more of a withdrawn striker or behind the front two as he was at Gent).

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I think Theo Corbeanu can play there as well but he's been used as a winger ar Wolves

Jordan Perruzza at TFC

Others would know more about what's coming up here in Canada - David did come out of nowhere so it's hard to say who else is out there

Liam Millar is not a #9. He plays mostly as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 for Liverpool U23s. Based on his attributes, I'd say he's far more likely to end up dropping back to play as a full-back than he is to make a career as a centre forward. That's not to suggest that I don't believe that he can have a successful career in his preferred position, though.

I would like to see Larin and David paired together. Each can play up top or in the hole, so they could simply interchange as the game goes on.

Out wide, I like Davies (obviously) and Hoilett. They often switch flanks for us mid-game.

In the midfield, any combination of Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Arfield, Kaye, Osorio or Piette would serve us well. The best duo is up for debate, but it probably doesn't involve Piette if everyone is healthy, though it must be said that Piette-Arfield has been very effective in the past. Piette is obviously not the most eloquent player, but he is bloody effective in making things difficult, while Arfield is robust enough to cover ground, yet intelligent enough to make up for any offensive shortcomings in Piette's game (which has improved under Henry, to be fair).

In the back, it is still less straightforward.

I think Laryea has to be one of the two full backs. He can play either side. Whoever is the best of Brault-Guillard, Johnston, Adekugbe and Buchanan would likely win the other spot. Maybe Guiterrez factors into this conversation too, hard to say. I haven't seen enough of Buchanan to declare him the winner, but he's the most gifted going forward and I imagine he'll spend his fair share of minutes up front, kind of like Davies.

Centre back is least fun to consider, but it feels like we are turning the corner as far as adequate options go. Still no stand outs on the horizon, but it is what it is. I am looking forward to Waterman and Belal may break through at Werder this cycle, which would help. Miller is a sturdy and versatile option. Cornelius is a good passer and seems to play his best in the big games. Henry can be the best or the worst in the pool. James played in Champions League, but is the 4th option for a club that got knocked straight out of the competition, so how he translates to the national team is hard to say. Vitoria is serviceable. So to is Jakovic, but he's never been called under Herdman and at 35 that may not change.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

1st US game pairing was Cornelius & Vitoria 

2nd game pairing was Henry & Vitoria 

One of those was a disaster and when Henry went down and was replaced by Cornelius, defense looked better but harm was already done.

I take Zator ahead of Henry any day of the week

I know you're a big CPL promoter and I respect that and enjoy your updates.  But my God, you're kidding, right? 

13 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I know you're a big CPL promoter and I respect that and enjoy your updates.  But my God, you're kidding, right? 

Not that I would call Zator ahead of other choices we have like a Cornelius, James or Miller - That's just how much I don't trust Henry in big games. 😆

9 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t know the numbers but I believe Mbongue is a striker 

I watched some of the GA Cup final game that someone posted in the Class of 2004 thread and Hugo Mbongue is definitely that type of player.  Two goals off headers from pinpoint crosses from Marshall-Rutty.  Big guy, intense player, beastly.  If he keeps developing, I believe he is the next target man in the Akinola/David range.  He is a 2004.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Jordan Perruzza at TFC

Been a very very long time since I have been here. Needed the time away to grieve not just the loss of my brother but my sister in law too but all that aside I haven't really been paying attention to Canadian soccer or soccer as a sport in general. But out of these players here, what I will say are that the ones who you want to build a foundation with in this Canadian attack would be Liam Millar, Theo Corbeanu and Charles-Andres Brym. Just my opinion on that anyway.

41 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I watched some of the GA Cup final game that someone posted in the Class of 2004 thread and Hugo Mbongue is definitely that type of player.  Two goals off headers from pinpoint crosses from Marshall-Rutty.  Big guy, intense player, beastly.  If he keeps developing, I believe he is the next target man in the Akinola/David range.  He is a 2004.

He toyed with those kids at that age at times. If his physicality can translate to the next level he could be a fun player to watch, but he's still a ways away. 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:33 PM, One American said:

i believe that to be correct

M Y  STARTING  11  

FORMATION  4 2 3 1

BORJAN

LARYEA                          Vittoria                        Cornilues                                  Adegdube

Eustachio                            Kaye

Osario

DAVID                                                                                                                                      Davies

Larin

35 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

M Y  STARTING  11  

FORMATION  4 2 3 1

BORJAN

LARYEA                          Vittoria                        Cornilues                                  Adegdube

Eustachio                            Kaye

Osario

DAVID                                                                                                                                      Davies

Larin

My 11...

Borat 

LarryEh                           Addagedude

CornonCob Victoria 

Pistachio           Kanye

Ontario

Dave                                 Dave

Larry     

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

My 11...

Borat 

CornonCob Victoria 

Ontario

Larry     

great success win GIF

10 hours ago, kacbru said:

My 11...

Borat 

CornonCob Victoria 

Ontario

Larry     

13 hours ago, kacbru said:

My 11...

Borat 

CornonCob Victoria 

Ontario

Larry     

This is too funny, still laughing, please post once a day.

Borjan

Laryea, Vitoria, Kennedy, Davies

Eustaquio, Piette, Arfield, Buchanan

David, Cavallini

- not sure what the formation actually is. You can line them up as you wish. 

I'd like to play Osorio. But a midfield with Eustaquio, Piette (or Kaye or Hutch), Arfield and Osorio is too slow.

I would want some pretty fast players on the backline to cover for VItoria. I might even put Buchanan there. 

Edited by One American