General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

13 hours ago, red card said:

If Buchanan was tearing it up playing up front, Arena wouldn't have moved him back. He didn't show enough to play a lot in 2019. And likewise underwhelmed in the bubble. Maybe started to train better as he gained playing time in the fall but wasn't delivering the expected end product. His career trajectory was looking more to be a MLS sub/part-time starter. It appears now he can be a difference maker with more space going forward playing from the back. So now looking like another Laryea. Usually when you get sent back, you don't come back playing too often further up the pitch again.

For Millar, analytics show he needs to be a more expansive offensive player or show enough to be allowed to play a freer role. Hugging the touchline and just crossing has limited his xG/assists, touches in the box, successful dribbling and shots taken at Kilmarnock. But he has diversified his play this season. So, now he needs to show he can carry it over when playing beyond the u23 age group.

All three are works in progress. Corbeanu is the most raw but appears to have more parts to be a total package. But given his age, maybe not enough time for a part or two be found wanting. Buchanan & Millar have shown to be explosive at times but not yet shown to be total packages. 

Did you watch NE play ? Because I can tell you that from March in his debut as a sub where he honestly was unlucky to score he has forced his way into the lineup. 

Do you watch MLS ? Have you seen either of them play ? Please be honest.

Alright this is a big year for us, and it has the potential to see dramatic changes in the lineup. Call me optimistic, but we have an overflow of young talent ready to breakthrough at the MLS level, and it’s not inconceivable that a year form now one of these players is a lock to start for us. Without further ado...

GK Dayne St.Clair, James Pantemis, Thomas Hasal

The Minnesota keeper is likely to continue his rise and knock down Borjan, but it’s nice to have a solid 1–2-3 for the first time in a decade. 

CB/FB Julian Dunn-Johnson, Gianfranco Fachinieiri, Keesaan Ferdinand, Karifa Yao, Rocco Romeo, Zorhan Bassong

Some highly touted CB’s here, this is probably the year of Johnson, but Ferdinand and Fachinieri are highly touted aswell, they will likely spend time in the Can PL but should grow quickly as the depth of the CB pool doubles. Yao has played sparingly in MTL, if Camacho leaves or the Snowflaes have injuries, one of Yao or Ferdinand will get thrust into the spot light. Bassong will have to fight Kizza, but he should get his fair amount of time.

M/F Jacob Shaffleburg, Jakhele Marshall Rutty, Jayden Nelsen, Jean Aniel Assi, Damiano Pecile, Noble Okello, Ralph Priso Mbongue, Liam Fraser, Kamron Habbibullah *, Michael Baldisimo, Ryan Raposo, Sean Rea

I could have listed more here, there’s actually a ton with more to come. The challenge for the CDN teams now is playing all these guys and finding time for them. There’s a glut of young talent and while not all will pan out safe to say that team selection at the MMT level is getting harder and we have reason to be excited.

I expect that Nelson, Okello, Rutty, Priso and Fraser are going to play big roles in the new era at TFC, Baldisimo and Habbibullah should be playing big roles at a point, they are expected to be the future of the Caps and can maybe save the club from themselves. In MTL Assi has made his debut and there high hopes for him, apparently Rea is pretty good himself, the question is will he play with the first team or not. 

I am definitely missing guys, it’s also almost homegrown signing season again, I am sure we will see many loans, it looks like we’re getting to the point where there’s a boat load of talent but not playing time. 

so without further ado my predictions:

Priso will establish himself at TFC and become a CDN regular.

Bassong takes the LB spot and frees Davies.

Marshall Rutty establishes himself as the best young player in MLS and locks down a starting spot.

feel free to judge but I must say this is going to be an exciting year and I can’t wait for us to get started.

40 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Alright this is a big year for us, and it has the potential to see dramatic changes in the lineup. Call me optimistic, but we have an overflow of young talent ready to breakthrough at the MLS level, and it’s not inconceivable that a year form now one of these players is a lock to start for us. Without further ado...

The Minnesota keeper is likely to continue his rise and knock down Borjan, but it’s nice to have a solid 1–2-3 for the first time in a decade. 

CB/FB Julian Dunn-Johnson, Gianfranco Fachinieiri, Keesaan Ferdinand, Karifa Yao, Rocco Romeo, Zorhan Bassong

Some highly touted CB’s here, this is probably the year of Johnson, but Ferdinand and Fachinieri are highly touted aswell, they will likely spend time in the Can PL but should grow quickly as the depth of the CB pool doubles. Yao has played sparingly in MTL, if Camacho leaves or the Snowflaes have injuries, one of Yao or Ferdinand will get thrust into the spot light. Bassong will have to fight Kizza, but he should get his fair amount of time.

M/F Jacob Shaffleburg, Jakhele Marshall Rutty, Jayden Nelsen, Jean Aniel Assi, Damiano Pecile, Noble Okello, Ralph Priso Mbongue, Liam Fraser, Kamron Habbibullah *, Michael Baldisimo, Ryan Raposo, Sean Rea

I could have listed more here, there’s actually a ton with more to come. The challenge for the CDN teams now is playing all these guys and finding time for them. There’s a glut of young talent and while not all will pan out safe to say that team selection at the MMT level is getting harder and we have reason to be excited.

I expect that Nelson, Okello, Rutty, Priso and Fraser are going to play big roles in the new era at TFC, Baldisimo and Habbibullah should be playing big roles at a point, they are expected to be the future of the Caps and can maybe save the club from themselves. In MTL Assi has made his debut and there high hopes for him, apparently Rea is pretty good himself, the question is will he play with the first team or not. 

I am definitely missing guys, it’s also almost homegrown signing season again, I am sure we will see many loans, it looks like we’re getting to the point where there’s a boat load of talent but not playing time. 

Marshall Rutty establishes himself as the best young player in MLS and locks down a starting spot.

feel free to judge but I must say this is going to be an exciting year and I can’t wait for us to get started.

It must be nice not to have had your spirit crushed by layers of gut-wrenching defeat.   

11 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Dominican Republican are playing two friendlies lmao. TWO. The CSA can't manage more than a scrimmage. Embarrassing.

Remember, it was touch and go whether we would even have a camp..so this is positive.  At least Herdman sees everyone with his own eyes and they all get to know each other and develop come chemistr

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

TFC's midfield is so crowded, if one of them broke through it would most certainly be at the expense of the other CDNs.  It would be nice to see one CDN breakthrough for TFC next year and I would bet on a defender doing it where there is less competition.  

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Remember, it was touch and go whether we would even have a camp..so this is positive.  At least Herdman sees everyone with his own eyes and they all get to know each other and develop come chemistr

TFC's midfield is so crowded, if one of them broke through it would most certainly be at the expense of the other CDNs.  It would be nice to see one CDN breakthrough for TFC next year and I would bet on a defender doing it where there is less competition.  

Yea imaging my face when I see mocks have them taking a midfielder...

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Marshall-Rutty locking down a starting spot would be massively impressive. TFC are not lacking in attacking options. Who would be his direct competition? Playing as a winger? Forward? Attacking midfield?

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Marshall-Rutty locking down a starting spot would be massively impressive. TFC are not lacking in attacking options. Who would be his direct competition? Playing as a winger? Forward? Attacking midfield?

Do they really have any top side players if Piatti doesn’t come back ? As it stands I’m not sure there really is any other than Shaffleburg/Endoh.

I mean theres Achara... 

I made a bold statement at 16/17 year old Davies could start on any mls team, got a lot of heat for it but I was right in the end.

the growth of a player at this age is massive. Rutty is supposed to be great, I don’t see why he can’t take the leap. 

at forward and at CAM he’s got to dislodge some talent, but I think forward is a battle he could win. Jozy is old and Akinola hasn’t cemented it. Cam is Pozuelo.

12 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Do they really have any top side players if Piatti doesn’t come back ? As it stands I’m not sure there really is any other than Shaffleburg/Endoh.

I mean theres Achara... 

I made a bold statement at 16/17 year old Davies could start on any mls team, got a lot of heat for it but I was right in the end.

the growth of a player at this age is massive. Rutty is supposed to be great, I don’t see why he can’t take the leap. 

at forward and at CAM he’s got to dislodge some talent, but I think forward is a battle he could win. Jozy is old and Akinola hasn’t cemented it. Cam is Pozuelo.

Wasn’t trying to say he couldn’t do it. I’d be a bit surprised, but he’s young and talented enough that you never know. I was genuinely curious what position you thought it would happen at. I was thinking they don’t usually play with wingers, but with a new manager, who knows what system they’ll play.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Wasn’t trying to say he couldn’t do it. I’d be a bit surprised, but he’s young and talented enough that you never know. I was genuinely curious what position you thought it would happen at. I was thinking they don’t usually play with wingers, but with a new manager, who knows what system they’ll play.

Oh no no I know. I’m thinking Wing, but I believe he may be a F ? He’s still 16 which is crazy but he should be able to crack. 

i thought it was said they would play a 4-3-3 press ?

15 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Oh no no I know. I’m thinking Wing, but I believe he may be a F ? He’s still 16 which is crazy but he should be able to crack. 

i thought it was said they would play a 4-3-3 press ?

4-2-3-1 is what they Armas used in NY. Which is what TFC was already playing for the most part. 

17 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I mean theres Achara... 

add Gallardo, DeLeon, Nelson, and Dorsey to that list...plus they'll probably bring some guys in.

Neil Davidson:
Coach John Herdman says he has some 88 players in his extended talent pool with a top tier of some 45.
https://www.tsn.ca/jonathan-osorio-upbeat-about-what-lies-ahead-for-canadian-men-s-soccer-team-1.1580242

Interesting number.
"A top 45" is essentially close to two standard 23-man squads.

Given the type of people who post on this board, that "player who has been doing well and you think should get get a look with the #CanMNT" is probably "#46" :D
and "that player that should be on Herdman's radar" is probably "#89" 😛

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Neil Davidson:
Coach John Herdman says he has some 88 players in his extended talent pool with a top tier of some 45.
https://www.tsn.ca/jonathan-osorio-upbeat-about-what-lies-ahead-for-canadian-men-s-soccer-team-1.1580242

Interesting number.

Give the type of people who post on this board, that "player who has been doing well and you think should get get a look with the #CanMNT" is probably "#46" :D

This is one of the most material changes I've seen with the CANMNT over the last few years where the pool has gained so much quality (as cool as watching AD and JD is). 

Having Canadian clubs and academies is only going to help sustain the growth of the program going forward. 

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Neil Davidson:

Interesting number.

Give the type of people who post on this board, that "player who has been doing well and you think should get get a look with the #CanMNT" is probably "#46" :D

This is the second time he’s mentioned the 80+ player database. The reality is he’s only seen half of them. 

So it’s as good as the list that we come up with. I’m interested to see what that list is/where everyone is ranked in the depth chart.

Had to fact check myself...turns out JH has seen a total of 71 players under his reign as the senior mens gaffer. 

I was bored and made a quick depth chart of those players here.

From the 71 guys I found:

- Will Johnson (I'll assume), and David Edgar are retired. Has Jakovic retired from international ball? 
- 4 guys are currently unattached in Jakovic, Straith, Morgan, and Thomas. 
- 29 guys are U-24. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

There are lots of guys who havnt gotten the call under Herdman, that would take your chart up to the 80+ that Herdman was talking about.  For example, Hasal would have to be on that Keeper depth chart.    

Agreed. Patons gotta be there. Add Elva too, considering Halbouni.

....Oh and definitely Amuz, a ball winning, ball playing CB with some size. Might be a future starter 🤪.

16 hours ago, Shway said:

Had to fact check myself...turns out JH has seen a total of 71 players under his reign as the senior mens gaffer. 

I was bored and made a quick depth chart of those players here.

From the 71 guys I found:

- Will Johnson (I'll assume), and David Edgar are retired. Has Jakovic retired from international ball? 
- 4 guys are currently unattached in Jakovic, Straith, Morgan, and Thomas. 
- 29 guys are U-24. 

Very nice list,  I also keep an excel sheet with the players called up since 2019.  It includes full list of players, club team, age, caps, goals, last camp invite, secondary nationalities, place of birth and where they grew up.

In case anyone is wondering 33 of the 69 callups grew up/affiliated within the GTA 😉  The Greater Montreal area has 2nd most players born/affiliated with 9 players.