General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

43 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

It's strange that Breza isn't getting more of a mention for the National team. I know he's not starting but none the less he is the backup for a Serie A team.

I feel like over the years we've had a number of GKs on the substitutes bench in Serie A that don't do anything. Seems a bit premature for talk of the senior team for Breza

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

Very nice list,  I also keep an excel sheet with the players called up since 2019.  It includes full list of players, club team, age, caps, goals, last camp invite, secondary nationalities, place of birth and where they grew up.

In case anyone is wondering 33 of the 69 callups grew up/affiliated within the GTA 😉  The Greater Montreal area has 2nd most players born/affiliated with 9 players.

well go ahead and share your list...it sounds better than mine.

Pretty bored while homeschooling JK. Just wondering who has the best CanCon of the MLS clubs? Vancouver has a solid mix of offense and defence, Toronto has a couple stars and crazy potential, while Montreal can put out a solid if unspectacular back 6. Would be cool to see that 6 in a Voyageurs Cup game.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Pretty bored while homeschooling JK. Just wondering who has the best CanCon of the MLS clubs? Vancouver has a solid mix of offense and defence, Toronto has a couple stars and crazy potential, while Montreal can put out a solid if unspectacular back 6. Would be cool to see that 6 in a Voyageurs Cup game.

tfc could put together the best 11 because of TFC 2. 

I actually just got this idea earlier: should someone (me if I'm not lazy?) post a weekly schedule of when our top guys are playing and if it's televised on Canadian TV, DAZN, or OneSoccer? No offense to the majority of our pool but I'm thinking of just having a short list of key players for our NT and top prospects. I know Canucks Abroad posts a daily list but it would help being able to look ahead to what games are happening all week to plan ahead, and not having to filter through guys playing at low levels.

I'll usually check the teams mentioned by @dyslexic nam to see when they play but I usually can only watch David and Davies. It would be helpful to easily check when they play, I'd like to stream more Besiktas and Pacos De Ferreira games.

2 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I actually just got this idea earlier: should someone (me if I'm not lazy?) post a weekly schedule of when our top guys are playing and if it's televised on Canadian TV, DAZN, or OneSoccer? No offense to the majority of our pool but I'm thinking of just having a short list of key players for our NT and top prospects. I know Canucks Abroad posts a daily list but it would help being able to look ahead to what games are happening all week to plan ahead, and not having to filter through guys playing at low levels.

I'll usually check the teams mentioned by @dyslexic nam to see when they play but I usually can only watch David and Davies. It would be helpful to easily check when they play, I'd like to stream more Besiktas and Pacos De Ferreira games.

That would be cool for sure.  I don’t really do the Twitter so don’t get the info that way.  And I forget to check sometimes.  A thread hear previewing that info would be something I would find useful.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What are the odds that Davies plays left back, David #9, and Larin as a winger the next time Canada lines up?

I wonder if I have an unpopular opinion when I say I hope he doesn’t. I think part of what makes us a threatening team to play against is our pace and ability to take defenders on 1v1 from our flanks. I also think a player like him works well with David up top. While I recognize he has gotten a lot faster and surprised a lot of us with his speed from the wing, it deters a lot of what makes our team a threat. 

2 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Are we in favor of Davies at LB now? I swear this changes ever other day. I personally Would rather see Davies running at Yedlin than see Pulisic running at Davies. Even at the expense of another forward 

I think its still split about 50-50 on this board.

I'm definitely of the mind that he should be in midfield.  I don't like the idea of wingbacks, especially against the upper echelon of CONCACAF.

However, to the original question from @Aird25, I could see that lineup being put out there against a team like Bermuda, a game we should win.

I have always liked the idea of Davies at LW, but we have to accept the fact that (at least for now) it is us who would be playing him out of position.  At Bayern, he is learning how to be a world class LB.  He may have started as a winger but when a team like Bayern tells you that you will be playing LB, you become a LB.  And as he gets better and better at balancing the offensive and defensive parts of that role, he will be less effective as an out and out attacking winger.  

I know he is one of our most effective players in the final third but given our options in mid and forward, as well as his evolution into a true LB, I think we may need to rethink the idea of him as a winger.  And I suspect Herdman may think the same thing.   

2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think Herdman will play laryea and Davies on the left side, that's why he had Richie playing left back in the scrimmage. They could interchange on that side and I believe Herdman is very high on Johnston at right back who would let both Davies and laryea get forward on the left. 

I see it this way as well, and unless I am mistaken Brault-Guillard was in the midfield during the scrimmages, so that is interesting. It may not be related, but it could fit in with your thesis, since if you are Herdman you may as well test out ZBG as a winger if you are sold on a stay-at-home Johnson at right back. 

Davies has that elusive, magical ability to score goals when it counts. We need to play him in a position where he's able to get in the box on the regular, and create and finish chances. 

I think opposing teams would feel relieved to see him at LB instead of FW or on the wing. 

I'd only play him at LB if we're playing Mexico away. 3-5-2 may work for him, but do we have the CBs for that formation? 

Thing is, the longer Davies goes without being tasked with putting the ball in the net or in regularly dangerous spots around the net and growing that killer instinct the harder it becomes to argue he should play on the wing in critical games for Canada. He hasn't been an offensive player for nearly 2 years now and I'm not sure that's just a switch you flick on when you feel like it. 

11 hours ago, grigorio said:

and I'm not sure that's just a switch you flick on when you feel like it. 

I think for Davies it is a switch he can easily "flick on". It's what brings him joy; it's more fun for him to be in the attack.

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have always liked the idea of Davies at LW, but we have to accept the fact that (at least for now) it is us who would be playing him out of position....he will be less effective as an out and out attacking winger.  

He has made up for some of his mistakes due to his speed but he isn't perfect at LB in many ways. Even at Bayern he is a left-wing-back much of the time.

19 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I'm definitely of the mind that he should be in midfield.  I don't like the idea of wingbacks, especially against the upper echelon of CONCACAF.

I'm in camp "midfield". 

14 hours ago, grigorio said:

Thing is, the longer Davies goes without being tasked with putting the ball in the net or in regularly dangerous spots around the net and growing that killer instinct the harder it becomes to argue he should play on the wing in critical games for Canada. He hasn't been an offensive player for nearly 2 years now and I'm not sure that's just a switch you flick on when you feel like it. 

Good points but we aren't asking Davies to play wing in the Bundesliga. His role with Bayern, at least last season, was very much of an attacking player down the flank ...lots of examples in both B1 and Champions League.  If for tactical reasons, he is being asked to focus on defense, it will be  temporary. I can't imagine that Flick/Bayern value him more for his defense vs offense...they already have Hernandez for that.  Rather I think they are giving Phonzie some time to shore up his defenive game before unleashing him as a complete player. For Canada while he may not score as frequently if played on the wing for the reasons you stated, his speed and 1v1 skill up front will actually help us defensively and create opportunities  not only for himself but his teamates. I guess we will just have to wait to see what JH does for WCQ