General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

50 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone else concerned that Crepeau may start in March if we don't get our Euro players? He hasn't played a competitive match in a long time being out injured last year. 

I would not be concerned whatsoever that Crepeau may start in March. It's not like we are playing against Mexico, but even if we were he's not a bad option. St. Clair and Crepeau will probably battle it out. May the best keeper win. 

If we aren't faced with restrictions on who can be called up during the March window.
Here's how I would build both teams for March fixtures:

image.png.3aeb09494e68d6cb625a82f487233253.png

- 24 guys for the WCQ (since it doesn't seem like there are rules on how much guys you can have).
- Notable omissions: WCQ  = Ferreira (although it seems likely that he would be included) & James. OQ = Shaffelburg, Halbouni, Dunn, 
- This factors in that some players (Millar, & Paton) wouldn't be released for OQ but would be for WCQ.
- This factors in that some players (Brym, Corbeanu, Borges) would be available for OQ due to their club situations. 

I believe with this squad makeup we could have our core guys together for what would be the first time in almost 17 months, and have a strong U24 team that is strong enough to qualify.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

If we aren't faced with restrictions on who can be called up during the March window.
Here's how I would build both teams for March fixtures:

image.png.3aeb09494e68d6cb625a82f487233253.png

- 24 guys for the WCQ (since it doesn't seem like there are rules on how much guys you can have).
- Notable omissions: WCQ  = Ferreira (although it seems likely that he would be included) & James. OQ = Shaffelburg, Halbouni, Dunn, 
- This factors in that some players (Millar, & Paton) wouldn't be released for OQ but would be for WCQ.
- This factors in that some players (Brym, Corbeanu, Borges) would be available for OQ due to their club situations. 

I believe with this squad makeup we could have our core guys together for what would be the first time in almost 17 months, and have a strong U24 team that is strong enough to qualify.

Really good list. 

The one concern I would have is that RB depth may be a little thin for the WCQ squad. It's basically just Laryea.

In an emergency we could probably put Millar there, or possibly even Hutchinson. I think Wootherspoon may have played there before too. Waterman may be the safest choice, however. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Really good list. 

The one concern I would have is that RB depth may be a little thin for the WCQ squad. It's basically just Laryea.

In an emergency we could probably put Millar there, or possibly even Hutchinson. I think Wootherspoon may have played there before too. Waterman may be the safest choice, however. 

It wasn't a concern for based on us only playing two games. However I did think about that being a blindspot - but know that Waterman can play there or even Wootherspoon. It's the game against Bermuda that's more important where we would need Laryea there. Cayman islands we could see us doing the ole' 2-4-4 formation with Millar or Elva there.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

It wasn't a concern for based on us only playing two games. However I did think about that being a blindspot - but know that Waterman can play there or even Wootherspoon. It's the game against Bermuda that's more important where we would need Laryea there. Cayman islands we could see us doing the ole' 2-4-4 formation with Millar or Elva there.

Very true, it is just a single window we are talking about. It's probably best to fortify the RB spot for the Olympic team.

Or we could find room for Godinh.....err...on second thought let's just go with Waterman.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Very true, it is just a single window we are talking about. It's probably best to fortify the RB spot for the Olympic team.

Or we could find room for Godinh.....err...on second thought let's just go with Waterman.

or bring in zator over waterman. 

On 2/8/2021 at 12:43 PM, Obinna said:

I am usually the one to point out that Bermuda has had some fantastic results in recent years, but I wonder if the break in play due to covid may have disrupted their rhythm? Were Bermuda really that good or were they just on a roll?

Great point. You are right, we SHOULD take Bermuda lightly and bring a weakened senior team to our World Cup Qualifiers despite it being one of our last chances to get the team together (if we can in fact get the team together) before the potential Octagonal.

P.S. I know you know this, but Bermuda's great result wasn't some one off. They also beat Panama 2-0 in Panama. We would be on cloud 9 if we got that result.

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Why is everyone missing Breza ? The guy is with Serie A team. Yes he’s not playing yet but he’s young and training against Serie A class players and with Serie A pro coaches. He’s way ahead of any CPL or back up MLS goalies. 

Have you seen him play or are you just judging him based on his club level? I don't mean to be dismissive, just trying to guage your level of certainty.

Backup keepers are a tricky thing. I was just skimming an article on mlssoccer.com about the 10 youngest player signings in league history. There were 2 or 3 goalkeepers that were signed when they were 15, that years later still hadn't made an appearance. Are they definitely better than a backup keeper in the CPL that has actually played pro games? Or were they just signed to fill out the squad in some sort of emergency? Or were better keepers not willing to sign to be a backup when they could get games at a bit lower level somewhere else? If I remember correctly, Quillan Roberts was signed in that emergency kind of a situation and I don't think he ended up getting any MLS minutes (very few if he got any) in like 4 years with TFC (he did play in the Voyageurs Cup, maybe Champions League).

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Have you seen him play or are you just judging him based on his club level? I don't mean to be dismissive, just trying to guage your level of certainty.

Backup keepers are a tricky thing. I was just skimming an article on mlssoccer.com about the 10 youngest player signings in league history. There were 2 or 3 goalkeepers that were signed when they were 15, that years later still hadn't made an appearance. Are they definitely better than a backup keeper in the CPL that has actually played pro games? Or were they just signed to fill out the squad in some sort of emergency? Or were better keepers not willing to sign to be a backup when they could get games at a bit lower level somewhere else? If I remember correctly, Quillan Roberts was signed in that emergency kind of a situation and I don't think he ended up getting any MLS minutes (very few if he got any) in like 4 years with TFC (he did play in the Voyageurs Cup, maybe Champions League).

Yes I have, he is big and talented. Also his stats have been very good and been in Italy most of career.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Quillan Roberts was signed in that emergency kind of a situation and I don't think he ended up getting any MLS minutes (very few if he got any) in like 4 years with TFC (he did play in the Voyageurs Cup, maybe Champions League).

Roberts didnt get 1 MLS minute, not with LAFC either,  And I dont think he even got into the CDN championship.  So nice to see our MLS kids/keepers making such strides the last few years.  

As for Breza....7 games last year in Series C last year, nothing in SeriesA..how does that compare to 13 starts in MLS (ST CLair) or 9 for Hasal??? Or even Pantemis, 4MLS, and 7 for Valour. last year??   It seems like he is achingly close to something very exciting, very high level, but really its only some games at Series C, and he is the 4th?? string keeper at Bologna now?.  Until he gets shots to prove he belongs at the highest level, the jury is still out eh?    You would hope that Herdman has watched enough tape to make an informed decision as to which is more deserving of a call.  Remember when we called Busti when we thought he was going places in Juve system.  Hard to say..

Breza is there 3rd GK and was on the bench for a 7 games for Bologna and they bought him from his loan. So obviously they see something in him. Also he’s only 22 years old. I’m sorry but training against world class players and with a Serie A Organization everyday, that beats a CPL goalie any day of week. Now is he starting for Canada in the Olympics maybe not but he’s on the team for sure. 

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Breza is there 3rd GK and was on the bench for a 7 games for Bologna and they bought him from his loan. So obviously they see something in him. Also he’s only 22 years old. I’m sorry but training against world class players and with a Serie A Organization everyday, that beats a CPL goalie any day of week. Now is he starting for Canada in the Olympics maybe not but he’s on the team for sure. 

For me it’s Pantemis over Breza for these points, because we could all agree that Hasal and St. Clair should be 2 of 3.

- Pantemis has played professional games at a respectable level. If you don’t rate CPL, you can’t rate Serie C and it’s 60 team league and that’s where Breza has only seen “professional” minutes.

- Pantemis has been to a senior camp. Coaches have been able to see him play in re-watchable game’s, and in training.

- Pantemis is a legit contender for the #1 spot in Montreal, Breza is a number 3. 

I also think you’re throwing around the term World Class very loosely because Bologna ain’t it, and their players aren’t it either. Serie A has been slowly gaining its prestige back - its not fully back yet imo.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I’m sorry but training against world class players and with a Serie A Organization everyday, that beats a CPL goalie any day of week.

I know MLS isn't "World Class", but my earlier point was that Quillan Roberts trained with professionals every day, and you would think that beats a L1O player any day of the week. But then when push came to shove, Triston Henry won the starters job at Forge (was playing for Sigma before that) over Roberts.

But you've seen some of Breza's Serie C games. I hope he does pan out and can contribute to the CMNT picture someday.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Great point. You are right, we SHOULD take Bermuda lightly and bring a weakened senior team to our World Cup Qualifiers despite it being one of our last chances to get the team together (if we can in fact get the team together) before the potential Octagonal.

P.S. I know you know this, but Bermuda's great result wasn't some one off. They also beat Panama 2-0 in Panama. We would be on cloud 9 if we got that result.

Not sure if this is an odd attempt at sarcasm or what, because I never advocated for bringing a weakened squad. Not sure how you got that out of my comment questioning whether Bermuda were really that good or just on a good run of form.

Look at the squad @Shway listed for next WCQ window. It's a good list and I expect the actual call ups to be quite similar. We are going to prioritize the Bermuda an Caymen Islands matches. There's no doubt about that.

All I was asking is if Bermuda are as good as their record suggests. I have defended them here before, quite recently. I know they've had some fantastic results (yes more than one) and they deserve respect, but it's also fair game to question how much their results in 2019 were down to being "hot". You get a good result, you start to believe and it helps you get the next good result, and so on.

It's not going to be easy for them to re-discover that groove right away after such a long lay-off. It's not like a light switch you can just turn on. 

None of that is to say we shouldn't take them seriously or call a strong team.

5 hours ago, Shway said:

For me it’s Pantemis over Breza for these points, because we could all agree that Hasal and St. Clair should be 2 of 3.

- Pantemis has played professional games at a respectable level. If you don’t rate CPL, you can’t rate Serie C and it’s 60 team league and that’s where Breza has only seen “professional” minutes.

- Pantemis has been to a senior camp. Coaches have been able to see him play in re-watchable game’s, and in training.

- Pantemis is a legit contender for the #1 spot in Montreal, Breza is a number 3. 

I also think you’re throwing around the term World Class very loosely because Bologna ain’t it, and their players aren’t it either. Serie A has been slowly gaining its prestige back - its not fully back yet imo.

St.Clair is the clear number 1. It should his to lose. Hasal is still hurt according to transfermarkt, also he could be out of a job with bush and max there. Pantemis legit contender haha that’s a Stretch now Montreal GK situation is awful so maybe but he’s has proved nothing yet. Stats don’t lie and his are not very good. Overall this is a great, that we have good talented young players to choose from.

Breza vs Pantemis 

DBEB17A4-A7B6-4653-8E6D-C51941083C34.jpeg

02B428B0-E20B-4DC8-8DAE-FEFFDFBC6D0A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Not sure if this is an odd attempt at sarcasm or what, because I never advocated for bringing a weakened squad. Not sure how you got that out of my comment questioning whether Bermuda were really that good or just on a good run of form.

Yes, it was sarcasm. Someone (MtlMario I think?) said we need to not be afraid of minnows, El Hombre pointed out a result that indicates Bermuda demands some respect as an opponent, and then you questioned if they are actually that good, which I interpreted as trying to undermine El Hombre's point, which is to say you seemed to be arguing that Bermuda doesn't deserve to be taken all that seriously.

As you know, we have a long history as a country of coming up with draws against minnows, so we don't really have the luxury of taking games lightly, especially against a team that has had a number of great results recently. And the long layoff that could hurt Bermuda could also be hurting us.

@SpecialKAgain, it all depends on where you rate those leagues....Serie D or C is equivalent to USL league 1. Yea he has more minutes than Pantemis, but Pantemis has better minutes. 

The fact that we are having a conversation about who will be the 2nd or 3rd string keeper for Canada B or C is amusing. So although I currently disagree, and I appreciate the debate. 

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

St.Clair is the clear number 1. It should his to lose. Hasal is still hurt according to transfermarkt, also he could be out of a job with bush and max there. Pantemis legit contender haha that’s a Stretch now Montreal GK situation is awful so maybe but he’s has proved nothing yet. Stats don’t lie and his are not very good. Overall this is a great, that we have good talented young players to choose from.

Breza vs Pantemis 

Bush is gone from VWFC. They signed a vet USL goalie as back up and the plan is to loan Hasal. 

16 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Breza vs Pantemis 

Lot of problems here...

To start with, I don't know if Breza will ever play a game in Serie A, or even Serie B. Bologna have 3 GK's ahead of him. 2 of them got injured last month, da Costa was on a yellow, and Breza still didn't play. A lot of people think Saputo is just keeping him around to have a Canadian on the squad, and I dunno... it's kinda the only explanation that makes sense. I don't know why any team would keep a 22 year old around, not loan them out and treat them like a 4th GK for any other reason. It doesn't make sense from a win-now or development standpoint.

10 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Bush is gone from VWFC. They signed a vet USL goalie as back up and the plan is to loan Hasal. 

Second, yeah, Bush is gone, but Hasal apparently won't be loaned out this year. This tweet that everyone forgot about says that he'll compete with Crepeau for the starting spot this year. So our GK depth is probably something like:

1. Borjan

2. St. Clair

3. Crepeau

4. Hasal

5. Leutwiler

6. Pantemis

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yes, it was sarcasm. Someone (MtlMario I think?) said we need to not be afraid of minnows, El Hombre pointed out a result that indicates Bermuda demands some respect as an opponent, and then you questioned if they are actually that good, which I interpreted as trying to undermine El Hombre's point, which is to say you seemed to be arguing that Bermuda doesn't deserve to be taken all that seriously.

As you know, we have a long history as a country of coming up with draws against minnows, so we don't really have the luxury of taking games lightly, especially against a team that has had a number of great results recently. And the long layoff that could hurt Bermuda could also be hurting us.

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining. Undermining is a little strong, because I do agree with El Hombre, we should not take Bermuda lightly. That said, I do think there's room for us to question how good they are, irrespective of what MtlMario was saying. 

Here's the way I see it: the long layoff could hurt Bermuda more than us, because (I believe) they were punching above their weight before. The layoff was a momentum killer for all, but I suspect it hurts them more, since their results came off the back of momentum, whereas ours did not.

We got the results we should expect for the level of talent we have. They punched above their weight for the level of talent they have. 

Maybe I am wrong. I am not a Bermuda expert. I am just looking at their squad and noticing that most of them play at low levels and few of them are dominating at those levels. Maybe they just have something special when the team comes together that helps them overachieve. That "something", whatever it is, may be hard to re-capture due to the layoff.

That was my point, not that we shouldn't be prepared and put everything into the game. We should expect to play the same team Bermuda team from 2019 that beat Panama and lost by a goal to Mexico, even if the reality is that it may take them a while to get going. And again, it's the same for us, but maybe our talent will see us through, I am hoping/thinking.