Stephen Eustaquio

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

He’s gone the full 90 the past 5 EPL games. Chelsea have an abundance of players and rotate quite a bit. Tuchel likes to tinker. He’s not a locked in starter but saying rotational at best is disingenuous.

Has he gone the full 90 in the last 5 EPL games because he deserves it or because Chelsea was hit so bad with covid that they were desperate enough to use Pulisic as a CF and WB. Saying he is a major piece is the actual disingenuous statement.

10 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

Has he gone the full 90 in the last 5 EPL games because he deserves it or because Chelsea was hit so bad with covid that they were desperate enough to use Pulisic as a CF and WB. Saying he is a major piece is the actual disingenuous statement.

Pulisic played WB under Tuchel at Dortmund. This isn’t a new thing. Let’s just agree to disagree. I just think under your definition Chelsea only have a couple major pieces where I would say they have 14-15. 

Back OT I think Eustaquio is a quality player and deserves a step up.

6 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Augsburg weren’t even the highest bidder. He went there because of the opportunity to play right away, not because of some American upping the price.

It has been reported by the US media that Augsburg easily outbid Wolfsburg. It was an amount that a team like Augsburg doesn't normally pay.

Main reason why oft cited was due to serial American sports team minority owner David Blitzer (Devils, 76ers, Crystal Palace, RSL, Augsburg). Motivation cited was to personally support American player and get the club some US engagement.

He will get to play right away. But this could be another Sargent scenario. Club is in relegation territory. Due to their style and calibre of play, Pepi won't be able to burnish his forward skills too much. He'll get one half chance per match instead of 2 or 3. Rest of the time will be about dropping back in order to get more involved in the play.

Edited by red card

Just now, Chad_Impact said:

According to some Portuguese transfer accounts on Twitter, Porto offered to loan him with an option to buy for 3.5M € and it was refused. They're now going to increase the amount to 4M

That is a very low option to buy considering his contract situation, don't blame Pacos for not taking that as they want to make their money back

1 minute ago, Chad_Impact said:

According to some Portuguese transfer accounts on Twitter, Porto offered to loan him with an option to buy for 3.5M € and it was refused. They're now going to increase the amount to 4M

Even if Pacos owned 100% of Eustaquio that offer is too low (unless there is a loan fee) so I can't see it happening.

24 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

According to some Portuguese transfer accounts on Twitter, Porto offered to loan him with an option to buy for €3.5M and it was refused. They're now going to increase the amount to 4M

I don't get how this could be true. Porto have been trying this for 2 years now and they still haven't figured out that Pacos won't sell him for a loss?

Tecatito was just sold for only $3.5M plus variables to Sevilla.  Seems like there may be a possible link on the numbers?  Or just coincidence?

Tecatito is quite a player when he is on with great pedigree so that seems quite low.  However, Tecatito had made it clear that he was leaving when his contract expired at the end of this season so Porto likely took what they could before he left for free this summer.  Eustaquio's contract situation is a little more complex.

Edited by Corazon

8 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I really hope this contract structure doesn't keep him handcuffed to Pacos for the duration of his contract (summer 2024), but it's seeming like this is the largest obstacle to him moving and it's pretty shit. 

It won't be for the duration of his contract. His value will plummet as he nears the end and can leave on a free. 

I also wonder if he has a relegation release clause in his contract. If not, his agent has really screwed up with this contract even more than we believed.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:59 PM, Acid-Tone said:

This is the kind of dumb thing I would expect an American to say.

I'll concede that I didn't give the American owners/money angle any thought at all when I made that statement.  It's hard to deny that "could" be a factor.  I say "could" because I'm struggling to think of many US players that have made that move to a US owned club.  In fact, I don't think there's a single one on the books at the most high-profile of those clubs: Liverpool, Arsenal or ManYoo.

What I was reading between the lines in that comment, was this arrogant (thus the "American" gibe) idea that many people have that Pacos, (and the Portuguese league itself) is beneath our players, and that they shouldn't have to resort to playing there.

I hope for a big move for him like everyone else on here.  But as others have already stated, his complicated contract situation almost certainly has more to do with the lack of movement on that front than the fact that he's Canadian.

22 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I don't get how this could be true. Porto have been trying this for 2 years now and they still haven't figured out that Pacos won't sell him for a loss?

It's entirely possible people have on here were wrong about his contract.  I highly doubt they would sell at loss.

If you actually read the stories coming out of Portugal, it would seem that nothing is necessarily "imminent". 

What's being said is that talks have heated up as FC Porto realize that they can't leave it to the end on the transfer window if they want this done because they know that Stephen will be away on international duty at the time.  I think some of those twitter accounts are adding a little hopeful interpretation of their own.  In fact, of the two tweets posted above, one just quotes the other. That's not two separate sources. 

All stories also continue to insist that Porto only want a loan, with an agreement to purchase later. They don't want the potential purchase on their books during this window.

Only other notable  comments are that Stephen's current manager Cesar Peixoto talks about how even with his name being thrown about in transfer rumours, Stephen continues to be a model professional.

1 hour ago, tarnado1555362291 said:

And for those who can't

Eustáquio and FC Porto, Take 2: Dragons want to close the transfer
Pedro Jorge da Cunha zerozero-pt January 18 2022

Stephen Eustáquio is the midfielder chosen by FC Porto to succeed Sérgio Oliveira. The transfer was very close to being completed last summer, but the excessive number of options for the blue and white midfield - Uribe, Vitinha, Grujic, Bruno Costa and Sérgio - ended up postponing, but not making it impossible, the change of the international Canadian.

According to what it was possible to know, the negotiations between the parties are progressing at a good pace and Sérgio Conceição asks for a quick definition. The Dragons are betting on a loan with immediate effect and a mandatory purchase clause to be exercised in the summer.

contacted by zerozero , Stephen Eustáquio's representative prefers not to explicitly mention the name of FC Porto, but admits that this is "a perfect time" for the 25-year-old to take the next step.

“Stephen is ready. There are many possibilities, but the most important is to underline that he is ready to take another step. The World Cup is coming, Canada can be present and 2022 can be a great year for him", said Manuel Tomás, who has been following the athlete for many years.

“His career has been like that. Eustáquio was comfortable at Torreense and the good discomfort of jumping to Leixões arose; then the same thing for Chaves and Cruz Azul, where he had a serious injury. He bet on Paços de Ferreira when the club was fighting for maintenance, he likes to be there, but even before the pandemic he had several options to leave.”

Stephen Eustáquio divided his training between Nazarenos and União de Leiria, despite being born in Canada, where his parents emigrated. He is in his third season at Paços de Ferreira (73 games/3 goals) and has a contract at Mata Real until 2024.

FC Porto intends to catch him in January and even César Peixoto has already joked about the situation . Take two of a relationship that has everything to work out.