CPL new teams speculation

On 11/10/2021 at 2:12 AM, narduch said:

Romano is basically the soccer equivalent of Woz (NBA fans know who I'm talking about)

For the people that didn't know who Fabrizio Romano was, or those that were confused as to why the CPL got him to announce some news...the New York Times posted an article on him yesterday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/24/sports/soccer/fabrizio-romano-transfer-rumors.html?auth=link-dismiss-google1tap&smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, An Observer said:

Number 1 sport?  Even the most optimistic of us can't see it replacing hockey for sure but possibly CFL but even that is a stretch in such a short time frame.

It's the sort of transformation that needs to happen if anyone's going to get rich quick out of CanPL though and this league wasn't launched as an act of charity. Think what the comment emphasizes is how important the notion of WC2026 related growth still is to the investors involved.

France in 1998 is probably the best example of growth in attendance in the sport's domestic league through hosting:

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnfra.htm

grattnfra.gif

The problem CanPL have is that it may well be MLS that reaps most of the benefit, because as things stand at the moment the CMNT has very little to do with them in terms of the playing side of things. If they followed Ligue 2's trajectory in that graph in grey they would at least have more clubs hitting break even or a small profit.

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Hundred percent, this is what he means. "Out east" = Atlantic Canada = the civilized provinces. :)

I guess my hopes for Moncton will have to wait a while longer then . . . 

Yes, only people from BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba would refer to Quebec as "East". To the rest of us, Quebec and Ontario are Central Canada and the East is Atlantic Canada.

19 hours ago, Haligonian#1 said:

Yes, only people from BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba would refer to Quebec as "East". To the rest of us, Quebec and Ontario are Central Canada and the East is Atlantic Canada.

I've always found it odd when folks refer to Ontario as "Central Canada". I get that people there *think* they're the centre of the universe, but looking at a map, the dead centre of the country is really Manitoba.

Besides, calling it "Upper Canada" or "Onterrible" is much more satisfying. :D

6 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I've always found it odd when folks refer to Ontario as "Central Canada". I get that people there *think* they're the centre of the universe, but looking at a map, the dead centre of the country is really Manitoba.

Keep heading north, the center of Canada is in Nunavut.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-centre-of-controversy-where-is-canadas-middle/

9 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Try living in Ontario and finding out that the states just to the south of you like Ohio and Michigan is considered the American Midwest.  I was very confused as a child.

Edited by Trois Reds

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Keep heading north, the center of Canada is in Nunavut.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-centre-of-controversy-where-is-canadas-middle/

Touche! Apparently we're not the only ones to go down this rabbithole. 

I still get tripped up by stuff like this here in Onterrible. I'll never understand how "The University of Western Ontario" is in London and not Thunder Bay. 

I vote for Scarborough with a population of over 632k as of 2016 - with lots of space to spare near the new Scarborough Centre being planned around the new subway station at STC + Lawrence East and Sheppard East.

Name of the club? Scarborough _______

Edited by Ansem

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Scarborough Fair. Their logo of course would be a picture of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.

I would like to apologise to everyone.

Art Garfunkel as inaugural head coach. Paul Simon as kit man. (typical height discrimination… 🤓)

paul simon english ballad GIF by Maudit

Edited by shorty

Electric City FC in Peterborough which is kicking off their first first in L10 has been very ambitious in their approach to building things up both on and off the field. I have been very impressed with the level of player signings they have done so far including USL and CPL level talent. Also a first in L1O as far as I can see if having a team store and merchandise deals. They have also had great coverage in the local media so it will be interesting to see if this ultimately results in a decent crowd size in the stands. 

13 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Electric City FC in Peterborough which is kicking off their first first in L10 has been very ambitious in their approach to building things up both on and off the field. I have been very impressed with the level of player signings they have done so far including USL and CPL level talent. Also a first in L1O as far as I can see if having a team store and merchandise deals. They have also had great coverage in the local media so it will be interesting to see if this ultimately results in a decent crowd size in the stands. 

Looks like L1O Premier will have a much hire level of play than current L1O...so much more than just a pro/rel + change of name

(D3) L1O Premier = Increased level and aiming to go fully professional

(D4?) L1O Championship = Current L1O (staying semi pro)

(D5?) League 2 = Reserves and bridge between OPDL and Semi-pro

I'm guessing we'll witness lots of players movement depending on pro/rel scenarios for clubs

I'm liking this potential pyramid - we need this from coast to coast.

^^^the problem with this analysis is that no new teams get in until 2024 now and when they do they have to enter at the League 2 level with only one promotion place available to move up per season. That makes it more difficult than it needed to be for a division full of ECFC type clubs to emerge if the interest was out there to have that.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

49 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^the problem with this analysis is that no new teams get in until 2024 now and when they do they have to enter at the League 2 level with only one promotion place available to move up per season. That makes it more difficult than it needed to be for a division full of ECFC type clubs to emerge if the interest was out there to have that.

I hope L1O changes the policy of teams having to enter at League 2.

Also, if we imagine a time when all the L1O Premiere clubs are ECFC types, it means one ambitious club will get relegated to the "we just want to be semi-pro" division each year to make room at the top for a club that doesn't necessarily share that ambition.  This is the down side of pro/rel.