Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Playing with Lareya on the left side with him has really turned him loose.  Richie springs him with great passes a couple times a game and it seems like all the offensive traffic comes on the left side now for TFC.  They have a nice partnership going and Lareya is staying home a bit more which frees Shaff up to rampage up and down.  Some of the crosses arent the greatest, but I like how he mixes them up, some on the ground, loopers to the far post, some early, tries to drive into the box, never lets the FB get settled and bottle him up like what used to happen. Nice to see him get a solid run of games, not get yanked after a bad half and let his confidence grow.   

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Playing with Lareya on the left side with him has really turned him loose.  Richie springs him with great passes a couple times a game and it seems like all the offensive traffic comes on the left side now for TFC.  They have a nice partnership going and Lareya is staying home a bit more which frees Shaff up to rampage up and down.  Some of the crosses arent the greatest, but I like how he mixes them up, some on the ground, loopers to the far post, some early, tries to drive into the box, never lets the FB get settled and bottle him up like what used to happen. Nice to see him get a solid run of games, not get yanked after a bad half and let his confidence grow.   

Lareya has been the biggest revelation of them all since signing with TFC as an afterthought. He is a point where Europe will come calling and now playing with Jacob, both players are doing quite well. It has been a real bright spot on an otherwise rather dismal season for the Reds. 

58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He is increasingly comfortable with the quick passes.  I resist any significant comparison to Tajon because of his dribbling (which I haven’t really seen yet from Shaffelburg), but he is definitely on an upward trajectory that is a little reminiscent of what we started to see from Buchanan.   Last year I would say he played an Uber simple game - revive balls running to the corner and cross it in.  That is still a prominent feature but he is diversifying for sure.  A lot more interplay in the build up.  

I'd agree, definitely cannot compare to Tajon at all. I'd love him to follow in the same vein, but where Tajon is seemingly a skill based player I find Shaffelburg is more of a blue collar glue guy. But it's great to see him taking steps forward because, even though he plays a position we have a lot of depth in, I feel like he offers an element/attitude that others in his position don't necessarily have. I don't see him breaking into massive MNT minutes any time soon, but I think there's potential for him to carve out a role as an effective sub, specifically against CONCACAF-style hard nosed opponents

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He definitely needs to work on his right foot.  Multiple times tonight he settled for a poor opportunity on his left rather than trying it with his right.  

Not trying to take away from a great performance.  Just something that seems to be a limiting factor right now - and something he should work on to round out his play.  

21 minutes ago, top cheese said:

My question is how many players like this are we missing because Canada soccer is catered towards players from bc Ontario Quebec 

Dont read the other threads about Akinola....seems like we didnt call enough players from Ontario to suit him, so he went to the US youth program....HEHEHEHE!!!  

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

My question is how many players like this are we missing because Canada soccer is catered towards players from bc Ontario Quebec 

It's not catering. Provinces like Ontario, BC, Quebec & Alberta benefit from network effects - having better infrastructure, coaching, academies, MLS clubs, more elite youth players to play against, Div 3 leagues, more mature football culture etc...

Soccer isn't hockey where almost small town has shelled out money to build a rink, there is a pool of knowledgeable coaches/admins who can spot talent and competitive league pyramids to be groomed in. 

Shaff actually left Nova Scotia at 15 and became Massachusetts Boys Soccer Player of the Year. He was then signed by TFC's academy at 16. So now with 3 Cdn MLS teams, at worst, a talented player from outside the big 4 provinces should get interest from the NCAA.

Now we have added another layer of infrastructure with the CPL. So, the next player like Schaff has the option to remain in Nova Scotia at 15. But the CPL has shown there wasn't an existing bunch of really talented pool of players from outside the big 4 provinces. But the CPL can help to change it in a decade or so.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

It's not catering. Provinces like Ontario, BC, Quebec & Alberta benefit from network effects - having better infrastructure, coaching, academies, MLS clubs, more elite youth players to play against, Div 3 leagues, more mature football culture etc...

Soccer isn't hockey where almost small town has shelled out money to build a rink, there is a pool of knowledgeable coaches/admins who can spot talent and competitive league pyramids to be groomed in. 

Shaff actually left Nova Scotia at 15 and became Massachusetts Boys Soccer Player of the Year. He was then signed by TFC's academy at 16. So now with 3 Cdn MLS teams, at worst, a talented player from outside the big 4 provinces should get interest from the NCAA.

Now we have added another layer of infrastructure with the CPL. So, the next player like Schaff has the option to remain in Nova Scotia at 15. But the CPL has shown there wasn't an existing bunch of really talented pool of players from outside the big 4 provinces. But the CPL can help to change it in a decade or so.

I thought the CPL brass just decided the clubs shouldn't have academies. Basically decreeing that Nova Scotia talent should stay under a basket. 

The CPL teams don’t have the budgets to run a professional side plus an academy.  

The CPL is still getting off the ground relatively speaking.  They have to focus on their primary product 1st.  They’re already doing a lot by mandating high levels of Canadian players and Youth get minutes; as well as putting a quality product out.  The fruit from that tree is going to take a bit to ripen.

Just now, Cblake said:

A little surprised that he was not selected for the November WCQs, he has been playing great of late. Love what this kid brings to the pitch. His time with the National team will come again, he has a bright future. 

Would have been nice to see him called, he continues to be good for Toronto, but it hasn't yet translated to the national team, so I understand why he was dropped. His time will come though and I think he'll be a good depth piece for years to come. 

Yes, unlucky and feel bad for him but he is on the periphery and shows how good our depth is that he and the likes of Ennin, ZBG, Pasher and many others are playing well but can't break in right now.

Hopefully a big MF of a camp in January where we can call 40 guys and get them all involved. Would be a hell of a start to the year.

Feel like we might not see a camp poutine like that this year though. Based on nothing other than the WCQ games being so important and maybe more focus being on the smaller squad, plus frugal CSA stereotypes.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would have been nice to see him called, he continues to be good for Toronto, but it hasn't yet translated to the national team, so I understand why he was dropped. His time will come though and I think he'll be a good depth piece for years to come. 

I guess my thinking plays into the more broader decision made by Herdman to only call in 23 players, why go this route when you have healthy players who are playing well available. I just think its better to have them there in camp ready to go if any injuries pop up rather than having to fly in a guy or two after the fact. I do agree Jacob's time will come. 

The attacking options for Canada have grown to the point where even being an MLS starter is not good enough to guarantee you a call, whereas even being a bit part player would have got you a call a year or two ago. 

He's going to have to become a star for TFC next year if he wants to solidify a spot. It will be tough to get in the team for January or March so his goal should be to turn it up a notch and get in the squad for the Nations League next summer.

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Is it a given that he's staying with TFC?  According to this article his contract is up at the end of the season.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/shaffelburg-soccer-strides-toronto-fc-1.6225106

I am sure there is some kind of team option added into that contract just like MLS teams like. I don't think there is enough international demand for him yet that he can get a team to force a free departure.