Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

21 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Bloody TFC can’t seem to produce any Canadian players bunch of idiots !😉

Don’t be so harsh. They have a tiny talent pool to draw from, and their strategy of “keep the Canadian youth from actually playing until everyone else is injured” is scientifically backed. It is a fool-proof plan! 😉

Edited by maccaliam

So far he has:

- made the cross that resulted in a PK after a really nice run (that Soteldo missed)

- made the run and pass to Delgado for the goal

- made a beauty run behind the defence and just missed connecting with a difficult diagonal ball from Bradly 

- Set up Soteldo for a really dangerous free kick (that Soteldo missed)

-  Almost gets a goal with a really solid header 

He is basically involved in everything good from TFC going forward.  

17 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Heck of a stat 

This may be slightly getting ahead of ourselves, but numbers wise he is pretty similar to where Tajon was a year ago. They are both 99s but Shaff is 9 months younger. Both have a ton of speed, but Tajon tends to take guys on while Shaff send crosses in. However, Tajon has a much better team around him.

If Davies and David are the bar for superstars, Tajon is now the bar for year over year growth. Hopefully Shaff becomes a everyday starter next year to show what he can do.

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

This may be slightly getting ahead of ourselves, but numbers wise he is pretty similar to where Tajon was a year ago. They are both 99s but Shaff is 9 months younger. Both have a ton of speed, but Tajon tends to take guys on while Shaff send crosses in. However, Tajon has a much better team around him.

If Davies and David are the bar for superstars, Tajon is now the bar for year over year growth. Hopefully Shaff becomes a everyday starter next year to show what he can do.

From what I've seen Shaff may have a tiny bit more pace on out and out runs and he is probably a better crosser than Tajon. But Tajon is head and shoulders a better dribbler and shooter and Tajon has a mean streak. T.J. also reads the game a lot better and appears to be stronger and more physical on the ball.

But I have to add that when I saw Shaff play the Impact last year I was not impressed by him. This kid has improved by leaps and bounds.

Edited by Sal333

Apparently he is by far one of the most liked players on Toronto FC by teammates and staff.  I also once saw a TFC Q&A with players and almost every player interviewed had Shaffelburg as the funniest player on the team.  Seems like a really likeable personality.  Very happy for him.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Apparently he is by far one of the most liked players on Toronto FC by teammates and staff.  I also once saw a TFC Q&A with players and almost every player interviewed had Shaffelburg as the funniest player on the team.  Seems like a really likeable personality.  Very happy for him.

He has a great family supporting him, there have been games at BMO where a whole bunch of the Schafs have been there, parents, grandparents, etc. all wearing these t shirts they made up. This is one good kid and it is great to see Perez having the confidence in him thus giving him minutes, he made the most of this opportunity after falling off last season. The call up to National team is indicative of them.

26 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I have heard that all Maritimers are really hilarious and super popular. 

Haven’t seen many TFC games lately, but glad Shaffelburg is doing so well. He’s always had the pace and it sounds like his delivery and final ball is much better now. Could be a decent option when we’re playing counter attacking football. For people who watch TFC more often, does he play good short passes and one-twos in and around the box, or is he still mostly just good on the counter?

46 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Haven’t seen many TFC games lately, but glad Shaffelburg is doing so well. He’s always had the pace and it sounds like his delivery and final ball is much better now. Could be a decent option when we’re playing counter attacking football. For people who watch TFC more often, does he play good short passes and one-twos in and around the box, or is he still mostly just good on the counter?

He is increasingly comfortable with the quick passes.  I resist any significant comparison to Tajon because of his dribbling (which I haven’t really seen yet from Shaffelburg), but he is definitely on an upward trajectory that is a little reminiscent of what we started to see from Buchanan.   Last year I would say he played an Uber simple game - revive balls running to the corner and cross it in.  That is still a prominent feature but he is diversifying for sure.  A lot more interplay in the build up.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He is increasingly comfortable with the quick passes.  I resist any significant comparison to Tajon because of his dribbling (which I haven’t really seen yet from Shaffelburg), but he is definitely on an upward trajectory that is a little reminiscent of what we started to see from Buchanan.   Last year I would say he played an Uber simple game - revive balls running to the corner and cross it in.  That is still a prominent feature but he is diversifying for sure.  A lot more interplay in the build up.  

Jacob took a step backwards last year but then again he was not really playing all that much and with no TFC II in 2020 there really were not minutes for him in the TFC setup. Honestly after the season I though a CPL loan could for sure be in the cards for him. Halifax would be an obvious choice for the home town kid, heck  he actually played for them a friendly. But that has obviously changed now with him really stepping up, which is great to see. 

DjRuPfdWwAAMr0o.jpg:large

Edited by Cblake