Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Terrible offside trap by Allistair Johnston there

shaffelburg has been playing pretty well the last month. I was never too high on him but he’s been pretty dangerous lately. Just in terms of pure club form he’s probably in the Liam Millar / Corbeanu / Pasher group as winger depth for the CanMNT.

Edited by Floortom

27 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Terrible offside trap by Allistair Johnston there

shaffelburg has been playing pretty well the last month. I was never too high on him but he’s been pretty dangerous lately. Just in terms of pure club form he’s probably in the Liam Millar / Corbeanu / Pasher group as winter depth for the CanMNT.

I think you're giving him a bit too much credit here. It was a very well taken goal, but he's shown far too little to be in a group with players who have are already integrated with the national team (Corbeanu and Millar), and players doing much better in a similar team situation (Pasher). I'd say right now he's top of the list of the tier under the players on the bubble, and that's if Ennin isn't a winger.

On 9/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, sebdeserio said:

I think you're giving him a bit too much credit here. It was a very well taken goal, but he's shown far too little to be in a group with players who have are already integrated with the national team (Corbeanu and Millar), and players doing much better in a similar team situation (Pasher). I'd say right now he's top of the list of the tier under the players on the bubble, and that's if Ennin isn't a winger.

my post was in reference to club form. Pasher has been the best of them when he does play but is constantly inured and unavailable.

Corbeanu has around one hour of professional minutes in League 1 and hasn’t done anything yet.

Millar is playing at the highest level of these guys but doesn’t have a goal contribution yet (outside of Swiss Cup matches against 5th tier clubs ) so Shaffelburg is definitely right there with him IMO.

Very strong performance vs York. Had 2 assists and could have easily had another 2. Not sure if it's sustainable but his end product has improved immensely in the last few months.

As I said above, with an expanded roster, he might be worth a call as a winger with pace who can sub on and be dangerous. It's likely between him and Millar

Edited by Floortom

A few great crosses - doesn’t matter if this is against York or Man City.. his delivery was on the money. With his speed and solid service he could definitely be a Canada player. I don’t think he’s there just yet but he can there.

I think he was a little hard done by this season at TFC. He did well in the CCL (great cross to Altidore 30 seconds into the season) and had a nice assist in the second leg. Then he did well against NYCFC but wasn’t relied on as much as he should have been as poor team performances lead TFC to rely on veterans who continued to disappoint (crazy how that’s an organizational trend in this clubs history). 

Really looked class in his appearance tonight. Looks more powerful than he use to but that’s all a part of maturing as a footballer.

Whether he contributes to the CANMT or not doesn’t really concern me. The idea of us creating depth upon depth is what we’ve always needed and MLS + CPL is doing exactly that. And it’ll only get better as time moves forward.

He had an amazing game. I know some will think very different but a player like Jacob would perfect for the CPL. He’s young, kinda fringe MLS player but on the way up, talented and would be a huge star in the CPL. Plus Nova Scotia loves local players ( all sports). I wish the raise the salary cap in the CPL and teams would look like a better option for players. 

That’s what I mean though if he’s getting that much money, the CPL should be looking at that. He’s a type of player the league needs to become bigger and better. If the Quality of players and play is better more fans will come and more money the league makes. You really gonna spend money to make money. Maybe the CPL should look at DP spots. 
MLS went from a bunch of nobodies to old legends, to mid level European stars plus younger talented North American players. We should learn from mistakes and speed this up for the CPL. Right now we have young Canadian/Spanish player with Ottawa and one former Championship player and few Brazilians and Trinidad and Tobago mix with fringe Canadian players. The Potential is amazing

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

He had an amazing game. I know some will think very different but a player like Jacob would perfect for the CPL. He’s young, kinda fringe MLS player but on the way up, talented and would be a huge star in the CPL. Plus Nova Scotia loves local players ( all sports). I wish the raise the salary cap in the CPL and teams would look like a better option for players. 

I like the idea of him starring for his hometown, but the money isn't right. Even if he could get close to 6 figures in Halifax, he's better off in Toronto in my opinion. He's getting more chances and doing well with them, why drop down a level if you're Jacob? 

From a CPL perspective and wanting that league to grow and flourish, yes I would love him to be playing in Halifax and starring in that league, maybe even gaining the attention of a European club (say for example OHL), who could then turn around and loan him back after he fails to break into the team! Wouldn't that be lovely?

(sorry I couldn't help myself at the end - in all seriousness though I do see your point)

Mr K......I guess you missed the expose in the spring about how most CPL players are barely making a living wage.  Even a million split 23 ways is no where near what your talking about.  There might be a couple guys making close to a hundred...but if Shaff can play in MLS and make 139..why would you want him to come down??  Better for everyone if we find more guys like with few opportunities like Pacius, Ferrari, Ruby, Akio, Abzi, Farsi, Wright or Baskett and let the cream rise to the top.  Then they can move on if they can, and guys who cant hack MLS can come down.  

How can we be having conversations about teams in trouble, no gate money, tough times and at the same time be suggesting we should start spending way more on wages??  Speed the growth prosess up and we'll be dead like the NASL.  

You guys are missing my point. I don’t want him to move down. I want the CPL to come to his level. Plus I think he would be in a better position to move if him and more players like him came to play in the CPL. Him playing all time and just dominating, like Borges. Yes Borges flamed out but he’s a great example. Have players like Jacob calibre and mix with young talent = very exciting league. 

Edited by SpecialK

Who doesnt??  NO MONEY.  The salary is not going to get boosted by 50% (if any) next year to let you steal the higher level players that you want   I think you are better to find Usports, NCAA, academy cast offs, those types of guys and let them progress into SHaff, Borges, Waterman etc, than enticing MLS guys down.   Now if something crazy happens and there is huge influx of cash, sure poach a Shaff type for each club, and raise bottom end salaries 20-30gyou'll entice better players right across the board and the entire league will get better.  But I dont think that happens soon....baby steps eh??

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

You guys are missing my point. I don’t want him to move down. I want the CPL to come to his level. Plus I think he would be in a better position to move if him and more players like him came to play in the CPL. Him playing all time and just dominating, like Borges. Yes Borges flamed out but he’s a great example. Have players like Jacob calibre and mix with young talent = very exciting league. 

And personally, I don't want DPs. I'd rather the league try to improve their reputation by continuing to get results against teams from other leagues, MLS teams and CONCACAF teams, and the play on the field to gradually improve. I think you can make a better team by spreading the money over more players rather than getting one higher priced player.