Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

10 of the 11 starters for the USA vs Mexico in their 3-0 semi final win in NL were Euro based. The lone exception was Miles Robinson

6 of 11 starter for Mexico for their first match of the world cup played in Liga MX or MLS. It would be better to have more players in top 5 leagues, but it's really not a disaster to have them playing at home either

Back to Sam. Hatayspor will be in top flight after the grace of the league, but the area is still decimated by the earthquake, their finances are likely a mess and they and the other teams in that area are prime relegation candidates. So if he'd been on contract with any other Turkish team it could have been different. They are probably happy to offload players on higher salaries, and Sam gets a reset.

We also know his family is incredibly tight, those images of his mom are so endearing, I don't want to be dumb but some cases are different than others.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vancouver is just a city in a beautiful place. It's not a beautiful city.

My family's been here for 118 years.

Which means it's not an amazing place with great people? And that soccer players would rather be in Scandinavia or Turkey?

My family has been in BC longer than that and virtually none of us still live in Vancouver or the lower mainland. I'm not exactly beholden to the city but I think it's wrong to blindly say people would chose to live elsewhere if given the chance. There's a reason it's one of the most expensive cities to live in

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I will say, on a personal level, after the earthquake and losing Atsu, among other friends and staff at the club, his heart might want to be closer to home after everything he went through.

Fingers crossed that it continues being delayed, but the West coast is due for a big earthquake.  I lived in Vancouver for over 20 years, and the spectre of having it all come tumbling down was always in the background.  It seems strange to me that one would go to Vancouver because of being traumatized by an earthquake elsewhere.  So, maybe it is more about family than escaping danger.

46 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If Sam and Richie returned to MLS for financial reasons, that's understandable. They are both 28. But as far as the CMNT, it's a negative. If we are to compete with the USA and Mexico or plan to get out of our group at the WC or even simply get results in 2026 we need our starters and players that get significant mins playing at the highest levels. MLS is getting stronger and based on recent results may have caught up to LigaMX and may surpass it in the near term, but it's still not a top 5 league. Every national coach including JH (and US coaches) want their players in top Euro leagues. One can already see that the US have started pulling away from Canada in terms of quality, even with their starting XI. There are lots of American players that have moved from MLS to Euro leagues and have been given a "fair chance" as have Canadians. It all comes down to the individual situations re club/coach/performance.

To look at this the opposite way, I think it's more about the fact that if we do want to compete with those countries, it's not that Laryea and Adekugbe need to play in better leagues, it's that we need better players who will knock them down the depth chart. Both play significantly better with Canada than they do for their club, but they're both in their late 20s- these aren't guys who are going to improve just by being at a better club- we know who they are, and who they are are solid MLS starters who have very bright moments for the NT. We don't need Laryea in the championship and Kamal Miller in Belgium (or wherever)- you need Tajon to become an elite RWB and make Laryea a permanent depth player, you need De Fougerolles to replace Miller, so on.

I disagree that the US is pulling away- there was a time when they were ranked #4 in the world and we were down in the 100s I believe- the gap might seem wider because North American players are by and large going to Europe at a faster rate than ever, and because they have more players, we see more transfers. But for every Adekugbe going to the Whitecaps you get a Dest who just got his Barca contract torn up because he's unsellable.

Our WC qualifying roster helped us cross the red sea, but they aren't the players who are going to lead the team to the promise land; it's the players who come after them.

Just now, Aird25 said:

Which means it's not an amazing place with great people? And that soccer players would rather be in Scandinavia or Turkey?

My family has been in BC longer than that and virtually none of us still live in Vancouver or the lower mainland. I'm not exactly beholden to the city but I think it's wrong to blindly say people would chose to live elsewhere if given the chance. There's a reason it's one of the most expensive cities to live in

Let's not boast about the real estate sharks and the politicians who do their every bidding.

I agree it's a fine place to live for a footballer, you are right. It's a question more of the advantages of living and playing in places where football is lived and breathed. He played for a top team in Instanbul, and the WC, he's seen it.

The best place to be a footballer in England, say Greater Manchester, is far from the nicest part of the country. But I've not heard too many complaints from players there.

Just now, rkomar said:

Fingers crossed that it continues being delayed, but the West coast is due for a big earthquake.  I lived in Vancouver for over 20 years, and the spectre of having it all come tumbling down was always in the background.  It seems strange to me that one would go to Vancouver because of being traumatized by an earthquake elsewhere.  So, maybe it is more about family than escaping danger.

This is from Circlesquare, Pre-Earthquake Album. About living on the verge of a shake, as you suggest. Great song.

Jeremy the band founder is a visual artist, he has a show now at The Polygon in his native North Van.

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Robbo thought enough of Sam to hand him the starting LB spot to start the season. Sam then got injured a few games in, and Harvey reclaimed the spot and didn't let it go. Harvey was playing very well at the time. It was well-known in local football circles that the club wanted Sam back after the Brighton loan, but that Sam resisted due to his overwhelming desire to remain in Europe. Personally, I'm glad that he's finally found his way home, now.

I agree with the sequence of events - Sam was the starter and then he lost the job.  (Btw, remember Robbo's interview after the injury?  Something about going in on the keeper like that was stupid and he deserved it.  Robbo was pissed.)  And then MDJ got healthy and both he and Harvey were ahead Sam, so he knew he wasn't going to get minutes and he pushed to go to Europe - or at least that's the narrative I've been led to believe.  And I'm not so sure about "the Whitecaps wanted Sam back" narrative.  Lenarduzzi didn't seem all that jazzed about him.  Anyhow, who really knows what the true story is/was, but I agree, it's nice to have him back. 🙂

(Fyi, a couple more pieces of info below on Sam's time in Vancouver and decision to leave) 

From The Athletic:

"When the knocks started to add up, first-team playing time didn’t come. For the first time in his young career, Adekugbe’s constant grin was replaced by a scowl. His confidence had mutated into a chip on his shoulder that could be seen miles away. He began openly questioning coaches and staff: why wasn’t he playing? Would his chance to become a fully-fledged first-team player ever occur?

'When I looked at players who came through the Whitecaps academy, not many kicked on,' said Adekugbe. As a 19-year-old in 2014, he made just one MLS start. In 2015, he started the season as an MLS regular before an injury forced him out for two months. He would only log 31 minutes afterwards that season, which was enough for Adekugbe to believe homegrown players weren’t a priority for the first team."

image.png.5490760d7a6a5b542aec35e7d0e0510e.png

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Yeah, not like Vancouver 

He's already been to Vancouver.  Having been to the other places makes him wiser, tougher and a better player.  He wouldn't be the same Sam if he had just stayed in Vancouver the whole time.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is from Circlesquare, Pre-Earthquake Album. About living on the verge of a shake, as you suggest. Great song.

Jeremy the band founder is a visual artist, he has a show now at The Polygon in his native North Van.

This made me laugh. I went to pre-school and beyond with Jeremy, back when Deep Cove was hippy-ish and not the shiny high-priced area it is today. Totally forgot about him until I saw the profile for his Polygon show. He was always a bit out there.

Just now, Soro17 said:

This made me laugh. I went to pre-school and beyond with Jeremy, back when Deep Cove was hippy-ish and not the shiny high-priced area it is today. Totally forgot about him until I saw the profile for his Polygon show. He was always a bit out there.

Cool. He's been back in North Van this summer. 

I met him about 20 years ago, then got his band invited to the Sonar festival in Barcelona. He's since left music but uses it in his visual art. I highly recommend the installation at the Polygon. It was originally commissioned by the Pompidou, as you may know he's been relatively successful.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 8/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, VinceA said:

This isn't a good thing for Canada ultimately. Granted at this rate it never looked like he was going to move up in competition.

You're not the only one Vince but I am seeing a lot of comments of this nature and I don't know why. Everyone, listen up, Sam and Richie are just ahead of the curb, nothing more. The next 4 years there is going to be a massive "Back to North America" movement amongst European based Canadian and US talent heading to MLS, and that is ultimately going to be a good thing. The Messi effect has taken hold, revenues are skyrocketing and will continue to do so. MLS is going to surpass most Euro Leagues in revenue very soon. In a couple years, if its not a Prem club, Bayern, PSG, Madrid, Barca or Juve knocking on the door, top MLS talent will no longer be going to Europe anymore. I believe both Pulisic and JD are going to be in MLS within five years as well. 

I agree with Macksam. Football is changing right now. There used to be a “top 3” then Germany was accepted into a “top 4” then the rise of the French led to a “top 5”. I don’t think these things will be relevant anymore in the near future. You can even see that through European competitions levels have never been closer. Sure, there will always be tiers but this whole “we NEED players in top 5 leagues” is the biggest crock of shit. Even the World Cup winners had guys playing outside “top 5” leagues. Some of the best managers and coaches in the world manage outside the top leagues as well. All major national teams except for maybe England/Spain/Germany will have players outside top leagues. 

We need good players playing regularly at good levels with good coaching. Period.

17 hours ago, Aird25 said:

There are many factors responsible for the cost of living in Vancouver and I wouldn't put the "livability" or "niceness" of the city near the top of that list. It's first and foremost a money-haven for offshore cash flowing primarily out of Asia. 

I like Vancouver and it's a fine place to visit, I always enjoy it, but I have noticed that people in BC speak of the real estate situation as if Vancouver's beauty and livability are the prime driver for he cost of living. I have heard it many-a-time. Some version of "it's so awesome here no wonder it costs so much". As an outsider I just never understood that and it always felt a bit delusional to me. Again, Vancouver is pretty awesome, but not so awesome that I would pin the cost of living on it. Funny enough I never hear non-BC folk talk like this.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest. Has nothing to do with soccer. Carry on and Cheers!

Edit - I am not saying BCers are ignorant to the reality it's a money haven. It's just the manner in which they speak about how the beauty is pushing the cost. I mean, sure it's a factor, but to gloss over the main narrative of it being a money haven always strikes me as being disingenuous or a coping mechanism or blind spot or something, though if I hailed from the area or nearby the area I would probably do the same thing, I guess.

Edited by Obinna

There’s 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

There are many factors responsible for the cost of living in Vancouver and I wouldn't put the "livability" or "niceness" of the city near the top of that list. It's first and foremost a money-haven for offshore cash flowing primarily out of Asia. 

I like Vancouver and it's a fine place to visit, I always enjoy it, but I have noticed that people in BC speak of the real estate situation as if Vancouver's beauty and livability are the prime driver for he cost of living. I have heard it many-a-time. Some version of "it's so awesome here no wonder it costs so much". As an outsider I just never understood that and it always felt a bit delusional to me. Again, Vancouver is pretty awesome, but not so awesome that I would pin the cost of living on it. Funny enough I never hear non-BC folk talk like this.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest. Has nothing to do with soccer. Carry on and Cheers!

Edit - I am not saying BCers are ignorant to the reality it's a money haven. It's just the manner in which they speak about how the beauty is pushing the cost. I mean, sure it's a factor, but to gloss over the main narrative of it being a money haven always strikes me as being disingenuous or a coping mechanism or blind spot or something, though if I hailed from the area or nearby the area I would probably do the same thing, I guess.

There’s a reason it’s a money haven and Winnipeg isn’t or anywhere else in Canada for that matter and it’s all down to the livability of the city.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was just countering an argument that Adekugbe would choose to live and play soccer in all those other cities/countries because they’re amazing places to live and Vancouver isn’t. I apologize if that’s too pretentious. I’ve never lived there and I’m not even particularly fond of the city, but I gather some people like it

10 hours ago, Macksam said:

You're not the only one Vince but I am seeing a lot of comments of this nature and I don't know why. Everyone, listen up, Sam and Richie are just ahead of the curb, nothing more. The next 4 years there is going to be a massive "Back to North America" movement amongst European based Canadian and US talent heading to MLS, and that is ultimately going to be a good thing. The Messi effect has taken hold, revenues are skyrocketing and will continue to do so. MLS is going to surpass most Euro Leagues in revenue very soon. In a couple years, if its not a Prem club, Bayern, PSG, Madrid, Barca or Juve knocking on the door, top MLS talent will no longer be going to Europe anymore. I believe both Pulisic and JD are going to be in MLS within five years as well. 

Interesting take, but the opposite scenario can also be very likely.  I believe we can all agree MLS would have either failed or toned it down a LOT if not for the expansion fees.  Are MLS revenues really skyrocketing?  Sure Messi is selling a tonne of tickets, but at the same time they can't keep expanding forever and how many more years will Messi still play (at this level)?  What happens after?  Is the AppleTV really the best deal there is when we compare to other leagues and sports?  From my perspective, I just don't see MLS overtaking the EU leagues.  I'm not even convinced I see the on-field product overtaking Liga MX if I'm honest.  The salary cap, GAM, TAM, league holding all player rights, etc.... just handcuffs the league and teams too much.  It almost seems fabricated.

22 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Not Ahmed:  he's in that central mid  grouping competing with Schöpf, Ngando, and Berhalter for a spot beside Cubas.

Raposo is just another guy, so to speak.  However, the one who looks to be losing out is Johnson.

Maybe, Ahmed's been a shuttler in a 4-3-2-1 and played at left back, but Vanni likes changing formations as much as he like Nickleback. If he moves to a 3-4-3, he's not going to displace Ryan Gauld, Adekugbe or any defensive mid. 

26 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I was just countering an argument that Adekugbe would choose to live and play soccer in all those other cities/countries because they’re amazing places to live and Vancouver isn’t. I apologize if that’s too pretentious. I’ve never lived there and I’m not even particularly fond of the city, but I gather some people like it

This boy from rural Alberta was amazed by Vancouver when he went there for...wait for it...band nationals. (Less exciting than band camp.)

But I guess I was one of those kids that Jimmy Carson talked about who thought Edmonton was Paris.

On a serious note, I loved being close to London and liked my year in downtown Toronto but I do find that in this digital age a lot of the nice living things I loved about bigger cities can be found in smaller ones.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree with Macksam. Football is changing right now. There used to be a “top 3” then Germany was accepted into a “top 4” then the rise of the French led to a “top 5”. I don’t think these things will be relevant anymore in the near future. You can even see that through European competitions levels have never been closer. Sure, there will always be tiers but this whole “we NEED players in top 5 leagues” is the biggest crock of shit. Even the World Cup winners had guys playing outside “top 5” leagues. Some of the best managers and coaches in the world manage outside the top leagues as well. All major national teams except for maybe England/Spain/Germany will have players outside top leagues. 

We need good players playing regularly at good levels with good coaching. Period.

I don't think there's ever been more consolidation of talent and money at the top of the top than there is now- it's been 20 years since the last non-top 5 team has won Champions League, and you have to go back to 1990 when Red Star won to find a non-top team (top 5 + NL + PT) who won. I think only one non-top 5 team has won Europa in the last decade either. Not to mention, the top 4 leagues are pulling away from France, and will likely pull away even quicker once PSG loses Mbappe if not him and Neymar over the next year. The World Cup champs also have access to players at top clubs in South America which we typically consider outside the best teams in the world because most of their players are domestic or South American, but if we had players at River Plate or Flamengo, they'd probably be some of our players playing at the highest leagues of anyone.

That said, we focus too much on league quality and not on team quality or player form. Ike Ugbo being a top 5 player last year did nothing for us because he barely played, was bad when he played, and his team was awful. Eustaquio may never leave Porto, but he's one of the best midfielders in Portugal, and that's more than fine for us, and maybe even fine enough to play for Portugal. I think when Herdman said he wants his players to push for tier 1 leagues, people took that too literally and ran under the assumption that all our guys need to play for any team in any of those leagues and that's fine, but I think the message is more that you just need to play at a top level, and being one of the best players at Besiktas or PSV or Braga or wherever is way more important than being a depth player for Luton Town or Toulouse.

It's going to be interesting to see where MLS is 10 years from now. I don't buy there being an influx of good domestic players coming home or that it'll be a top 5 league by then, but if they can convert Messi Mania into tangible growth in interest in the sport, it's only a matter of time until there are some world class teams in North America. That said, as someone pointed out, neither New York team have made any effort in recruiting world class talent, no team other than Miami is really trying to make a massive push to grab stars- I do like what the LA teams are cooking though- so I'm still unsure where all of this is going. I wouldn't be opposed to some of our young european prospects ending up in LA though. Feel like if Wolves don't call up Corbeanu next year, wouldn't totally hate him going to LAFC and seeing how he does.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This boy from rural Alberta was amazed by Vancouver when he went there for...wait for it...band nationals. (Less exciting than band camp.)

But I guess I was one of those kids that Jimmy Carson talked about who thought Edmonton was Paris.

On a serious note, I loved being close to London and liked my year in downtown Toronto but I do find that in this digital age a lot of the nice living things I loved about bigger cities can be found in smaller ones.

It was the first big city I ever saw as a kid. I was amazed every time we took the ferry across to visit family. I've now seen more of the world, and I still think it's pretty desirable in terms of global cities. I'm just surprised folks are suggesting that players are leaving because it's not a nice place to live. Saying that, I'd rather be on the island every single day of the week.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Band geeks unite!

MusicFest Calgary was legendary for this small town kid from the Ottawa Valley.  Nothing like getting berated by Rob McConnell or Tommy Banks as a high schooler.

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Mexico only had 4 players in top 5 leagues in their squad for the last World Cup. And teams were Cremonese, Wolves, Napoli and Real Betis.

Edited by MauditYvon

21 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Band geeks unite!

MusicFest Calgary was legendary for this small town kid from the Ottawa Valley.  Nothing like getting berated by Rob McConnell or Tommy Banks as a high schooler.

Probably there similar times.

Had Banks at jazz camps at the U of A but he was the star attraction and not my instrument so mostly just saw him at concerts.