Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

There’s 

There’s a reason it’s a money haven and Winnipeg isn’t or anywhere else in Canada for that matter and it’s all down to the livability of the city.

Vancouver is not livable at all. Endless lists and articles funded by real estate agents and others have convinced people it's the best city in the world! Based on what? Vancouver is expensive because it should never be a city or an epicenter of a major metropolis or large population of people. Based on the natural surroundings it has about a 90 degree access when it should have 360 degree access in an ideal situation. Sure for people with no responsibility who walk around picking up their dogs poo all day staring at the mountains like they had anything to do with them before retreating to their box it's fine. If you're filthy rich or want to live your life single without taking on much responsibility. Yah sure you won't have much at the end of the day but you can happily coast thru life in Vancouver. But anyone with a family or trying to build something for the future quickly realize that Vancouver is junk. The way you solve affordability in Vancouver is leave Vancouver. People, businesses whoever. Time to build new cities in this country or stop bringing people here. Those are the choices

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Vancouver is not livable at all. Endless lists and articles funded by real estate agents and others have convinced people it's the best city in the world! Based on what? Vancouver is expensive because it should never be a city or an epicenter of a major metropolis or large population of people. Based on the natural surroundings it has about a 90 degree access when it should have 360 degree access in an ideal situation. Sure for people with no responsibility who walk around picking up their dogs poo all day staring at the mountains like they had anything to do with them before retreating to their box it's fine. If you're filthy rich or want to live your life single without taking on much responsibility. Yah sure you won't have much at the end of the day but you can happily coast thru life in Vancouver. But anyone with a family or trying to build something for the future quickly realize that Vancouver is junk. The way you solve affordability in Vancouver is leave Vancouver. People, businesses whoever. Time to build new cities in this country or stop bringing people here. Those are the choices

If you have real estate here, obviously it is not junk. 

But it is unsustainable for young people, and not only because job opportunities at decent salaries are limited. Then a lot of the higher density building, consented by the planning department in the pockets of developers, is completely unsupported: no new parks, noisier than ever, traffic limitations.

All of the core public amenities like parks were done half a century ago, the only thing they are spending on with a mind to the future is transit. 

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you have real estate here, obviously it is not junk. 

But it is unsustainable for young people, and not only because job opportunities at decent salaries are limited. Then a lot of the higher density building, consented by the planning department in the pockets of developers, is completely unsupported: no new parks, noisier than ever, traffic limitations.

All of the core public amenities like parks were done half a century ago, the only thing they are spending on with a mind to the future is transit. 

Yes because transit is a real estate scam. We need highways and straight roads in this province. Not skytrains that bring endless towers. First thing I tell people is leave Vancouver if you want things. I can't move to Manhattan? So you can't Dilly Daly around eating at a Persian Ti Scottish fusion restaurants and DragonBoating. But who cares? What is all this nonsense? Have some fun after university but then get a family and then get the hell out of this fairy tale bullshit city. It's a trap

Move to Kamloops move to Kelowna, move to Abbotsford, move to Nanaimo. Just friggin move

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

We're gonna do it, we're gonna have a fruitful dialogue and come to a conclusion with actionable measures people of every political stripe will agree with about Canadian housing prices, and we're gonna do it in the Sam Adekugbe thread.

Ranks right up there with the bagged milk discussion in the Alistair Johnston thread.

2 hours ago, PopePouri said:

Maybe, Ahmed's been a shuttler in a 4-3-2-1 and played at left back, but Vanni likes changing formations as much as he like Nickleback. If he moves to a 3-4-3, he's not going to displace Ryan Gauld, Adekugbe or any defensive mid. 

3-1(Cubas)-4(Laryea/Adekugbe at wingbacks, Ahmed vying with Schöpf and Vite for the two central spots)-2 (Gauld and White or Cordova).  I see Berhalter as Cubas's caddy, while Ngando as strictly a bench guy, though he has shown notable development.

But if they go 3-4-3 to have Cordova in the starting eleven up top, then I agree that he might have his minutes curtailed if Schuster/Sartini prefer a stronger defensive two way  presence slongside d-mid Cubas.

PEI housing priced have roughly tripled in the last 20 years.  We are small but the population had been growing at a rate faster than most places in Canada.  Throw in the fact that we are already the most densely populated province and it is a recipe for continued pressure.  We have a population growth strategy but the infrastructure strategies are lagging a bit.  

But all are welcome.  

8 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

We're gonna do it, we're gonna have a fruitful dialogue and come to a conclusion with actionable measures people of every political stripe will agree with about Canadian housing prices, and we're gonna do it in the Sam Adekugbe thread.

Lol sorry guys. People telling me how great Vancouver is while telling me how terrible Vancouver is and not understanding the irony is a daily struggle for me. People saying Julian Gressel is clearly better than Sam Adekugbe is quickly becoming equally as annoying 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

PEI housing priced have roughly tripled in the last 20 years.  We are small but the population had been growing at a rate faster than most places in Canada.  Throw in the fact that we are already the most densely populated province and it is a recipe for continued pressure.  We have a population growth strategy but the infrastructure strategies are lagging a bit.  

But all are welcome.  

Do you have bagged milk?

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I was just countering an argument that Adekugbe would choose to live and play soccer in all those other cities/countries because they’re amazing places to live and Vancouver isn’t. I apologize if that’s too pretentious. I’ve never lived there and I’m not even particularly fond of the city, but I gather some people like it

I think you may have misunderstood my point, and possibly other as well.  I didn't notice anyone say Vancouver isn't a great place, we just said there are also other great places too, and people and particularly pro athletes don't just unpack, stop travelling once they find one great place.  Development as a person and player is bigger than any one city.

12 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

They had 5 in 2010 and 6 in 2014 and 2018. 

Higher profile clubs too. They were always good enough to get out of their group but advance no further. Maybe the reduction from 5 or 6 to 4 was the difference. There are obviously hundreds of factors that can result in a team not moving on, but how can you deny that this isn't at least one of them. 

59 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Yup, sad to say but Montréal became disgusting since Valérie Plante (not even a true Montrealer) runs the city.

I think Plante is alright, I was being sarcastic because Montreal is probably the only major city in Canada, if not North America that is relatively liveable in the sense that you don't need a six figure household income to live 10KM from downtown. She's from up north somewhere which is fine, my biggest gripes are the new comers from the rest of Canada and the US (and especially France) who come here to live their bohemian dream of doing a ton of blow, working as a tattoo artist-slash-bartender-slash-model-slash-8th member in a noise rock ensemble all while pushing locals to the fringes of the island. Not that non-Montrealers aren't great, but if you come here, it would be great if you contribute to our neighbourhoods and not just use our city because it's cheap and about as close as most of us will get to live in 90s Berlin or 00s Williamsburg or wherever.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

But all are welcome.  

Demographics confirm CPL club in Charlottetown counting down 3, 2, 1.....

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

But all are welcome.  

The pandemic must've had such a dramatic effect on housing in PEI. I think the prospect of packing up and moving to a little island in the Maritimes and trading a little city condo for a big island house must've been really attractive. I have a few friends who moved out to Nova Scotia during that time and rental prices alone are shocking. I know someone paying $1,600 for a one bedroom in Sydney. Think it might be a house basement too.

13 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Higher profile clubs too. They were always good enough to get out of their group but advance no further. Maybe the reduction from 5 or 6 to 4 was the difference. There are obviously hundreds of factors that can result in a team not moving on, but how can you deny that this isn't at least one of them. 

What I really meant is that they always bring domestic players in all of the World Cup or Gold Cup or Copa America or Nations League or Confederations Cup they played.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think Plante is alright, I was being sarcastic because Montreal is probably the only major city in Canada, if not North America that is relatively liveable in the sense that you don't need a six figure household income to live 10KM from downtown. She's from up north somewhere which is fine, my biggest gripes are the new comers from the rest of Canada and the US (and especially France) who come here to live their bohemian dream of doing a ton of blow, working as a tattoo artist-slash-bartender-slash-model-slash-8th member in a noise rock ensemble all while pushing locals to the fringes of the island. Not that non-Montrealers aren't great, but if you come here, it would be great if you contribute to our neighbourhoods and not just use our city because it's cheap and about as close as most of us will get to live in 90s Berlin or 00s Williamsburg or wherever.

Because of this post, my wife and I are leaving the ever growing shitheap of Brampton and coming to Montreal to party it up with you Jack. 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The pandemic must've had such a dramatic effect on housing in PEI. I think the prospect of packing up and moving to a little island in the Maritimes and trading a little city condo for a big island house must've been really attractive. I have a few friends who moved out to Nova Scotia during that time and rental prices alone are shocking. I know someone paying $1,600 for a one bedroom in Sydney. Think it might be a house basement too.

My cabinet maker cousin and wife sold their East Van home and moved to Lunenberg area last summer, Bridgewater or something. Very happy with the move, similar sized home at maybe a third the price (he's fixing it though). But I also saw rentals in Halifax had leaped sharply and single bedrooms were now at 1700/mo. 

What seems reasonable one year, within a few seems not so easy anymore as the market reacts.

• 4 weeks later...