Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

On 3/20/2021 at 10:22 PM, Kent said:

If I am reading transfermarkt correctly Stalteri has 225 games in Bundesliga (170) + Premier League (55). JDG2 has 231 across the big 4. Premier League 71, Serie A 55, La Liga 53, Bundesliga 52. I can't confirm if there is anyone else with more big 4/5 games played. Did a spot check on Forrest and Radzinski and neither have as many.

He counted it in another thread. Beat Stalteri by 6 games 

Edited by narduch

• 1 month later...

So currently we are chasing:

Justin Smith (CB) 18 FRA/CAN

Lucas Dias (CAM) 18 POR/CAN

Marcelo Flores (CAM) 18 MEX/CAN

Daniel Jebbison (ST) 18 ENG/CAN

Ayo Akinola (ST) 21 USA/CAN

A lot to be excited about here, all of these players have the potential to play in Europe and in big leagues. The early reports on Smith are that he would like to don the Red and has been involved in first team training, given France’s talent I don’t think we have to worry. 

38 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

A lot to be excited about here, all of these players have the potential to play in Europe and in big leagues. The early reports on Smith are that he would like to don the Red and has been involved in first team training, given France’s talent I don’t think we have to worry. 

This is the first I have heard of Justin Smith? He plays in France and his name doesn't sound French, what's his story? More importantly, why doesn't he have his own thread like every other kid who got as much as a sniff in Europe?! I used to find it frustrating that all the threads in the past few years were player threads, but now it kind of frustrates me. How am I as a casual type die hard supposed to keep informed on obscure prospects? I feel I'm losing my inner Voyageur!

If he's got as much potential as the other guys on this list I want more info! 

44 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

What early reports saying he would like to don the Red?

3 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

This is the first I have heard of Justin Smith? He plays in France and his name doesn't sound French, what's his story? More importantly, why doesn't he have his own thread like every other kid who got as much as a sniff in Europe?! I used to find it frustrating that all the threads in the past few years were player threads, but now it kind of frustrates me. How am I as a casual type die hard supposed to keep informed on obscure prospects? I feel I'm losing my inner Voyageur!

It was easier for me to post elsewhere, I didn’t feel it needed a thread yet

35 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:
Sali might be one to watch, impressed at La Masia, was turned down by TFC and made it at another famed academy. He may pull a Corbeanu in the future.

Enes Sali is legit, one to pay close attention to this summer.  This report pretty much sums up anything and everything I could tell you about him: https://www.worldfootballscouting.com/scheda-giocatore/enes-sali-talento-rumeno-classe-2006/

2 hours ago, Tyson M said:

He’s just emerged from the depth of the ocean. We are the CSA’s scouting network tbh, a French kid born in France with CDN parents isn’t gonna be noticed by us until he’s on a stage that we can see.

1 hour ago, HochelagaFC said:

If you understand french it’s an interresting thread on Twitter about Justin Smith. It says that he was recently converted to CB from CDM to accomodate his lack of speed. 

They’re in Ligue 1 right ? Interesting that he’s expected to sign a 1st team deal, would be exciting to see a Campagna-Smith duo with our YNT.

You couldn't ask for a better national team for a Canadian dual national to be tied to than France.  They probably have the deepest player pool in the world right now.  Almost all the best young French internationals are making impacts with their club teams as teenagers as well.  Here's hoping he proves to be enough quality for our men's program because it is going to be nearly impossible for him to break through with France.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:09 AM, baulderdash77 said:

Eriq Zavaleta has been with TFC for 5 years now.  He could probably get his Canadian citizenship and file a 1 time switch if he wanted to.  He’s expressed wanting to play for El Salvador in the past and would be a major upgrade for them.

I’m not exactly sure where he would fit in our CB depth but I think he would be a top 5 CB for us.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:10 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

🤮 at the idea of Zavaleta playing for Canada.

Zavaleta's one time switch to El Salvador has been accepted.

https://futbolcentroamerica.com/noticias/Seleccion-de-El-Salvador--FIFA-autoriza-a-Eriq-Zavaleta-para-jugar-en-La-Selecta-20210429-0007.html

So that answers that question.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Zavaleta's one time switch to El Salvador has been accepted.

https://futbolcentroamerica.com/noticias/Seleccion-de-El-Salvador--FIFA-autoriza-a-Eriq-Zavaleta-para-jugar-en-La-Selecta-20210429-0007.html

So that answers that question.

As if I didn't like Zavaleta already. Now he's going to play for El Salvador.. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:
I like this reporter but this is too funny. If he can mould himself into a regular Ligue 1 CB that "should" put him on CanMNT radar. LOL

If he can mould himself into a Ligue 2 backup CB he'll be on the CanMNT radar.

If he can mould himself into a regular Ligue 1 CB then he probably becomes our #1 CB lol.

A mid table Ligue 1 CB doesn’t even register as a blip on France’s player pool.  

Perspective is awesome 

I think 2001-born Columbus Crew center mid Aidan Morris (and his older brother Jacob too) is eligible for Canada. He has looked good in MLS but is currently out due to injury.

This is the Instagram of Aidan's older brother Jacob who plays lower-level college soccer. Jacob has a Canada flag in his bio so there's no reason to think Aidan isn't eligible too. Jacob also shows an Italian flag so that means Aidan would likely be able to obtain an unrestricted EU passport if he is good enough for a move abroad.

https://www.instagram.com/j_morris3/

Given the USMNT has young CMs who are starters for Juventus, Leipzig, Dortmund, Valencia, Salzburg, and more on the way, Aidan would clearly have a better chance to play for Canada assuming he is eligible. Aidan has played for the US U20s before.