Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

Back in '97, my brother got married in Sweden. My family, including a few cousins traveled over for the wedding. After the wedding, four of my cousins and I did a bit of travelling around before heading home. We met up with one of my best mates, who'd been backpacking around Europe all summer with a girl he'd gone to BCIT with. So, we're out getting drunk in Prague and meet a couple from LA, who decide to hang out with us as we go bar-hopping through the Old Town. When introducing ourselves, we all just said we were from Vancouver. Later in the night, the girl from LA just randomly says, "you all talk the same, except for you two," gesturing towards one of my cousins and the girl who'd been backpacking with my mate. Without knowing anything other than "we're all from Vancouver," she managed to single out the two people from our group who were actually from Nanaimo, rather than North Burnaby.

For about half a minute there, I wasn't exactly sure where you were going with your story, but you definitely had me hooked.

17 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Back in '97, my brother got married in Sweden. My family, including a few cousins traveled over for the wedding. After the wedding, four of my cousins and I did a bit of travelling around before heading home. We met up with one of my best mates, who'd been backpacking around Europe all summer with a girl he'd gone to BCIT with. So, we're out getting drunk in Prague and meet a couple from LA, who decide to hang out with us as we go bar-hopping through the Old Town. When introducing ourselves, we all just said we were from Vancouver. Later in the night, the girl from LA just randomly says, "you all talk the same, except for you two," gesturing towards one of my cousins and the girl who'd been backpacking with my mate. Without knowing anything other than "we're all from Vancouver," she managed to single out the two people from our group who were actually from Nanaimo, rather than North Burnaby.

I live in Victoria now, but I grew up in a small town up island. There's definitely a different accent as you move to smaller communities. Vancouver has a different accent as well

4 hours ago, AnonymousInsider said:

Now that GA Cup is pretty much over, anyone have thoughts on Jaden De Guzman? Opinions on Canadian MLS talent too while you’re at it

Only watched the TFC v Toulouse game.  TFC definitely didn't look out of place talent wise.  I thought Toulouse were tidier on the ball, but TFC were more athletic (as was discussed in another thread).  TFC's backline looked real good, Toulouse rarely threatened, with their only goal coming from a wonderful 25 yard strike (although they were probably denied a clear penalty, hand ball in the box, in the second half).  Wingers also looked good, but still no #10 in sight! 

On 4/5/2024 at 12:14 PM, InglewoodJack said:

My guess, but do people even clock this as a Canadian show? It took me a while to realize it was Canadian aside from just having a bunch of Levys in the cast.

Letterkenney surprisingly has a lot of international appeal too. Shorsey as well, but I don’t think it had come out by then. I do know surprisingly young people (born after 1995) still watch Degrassi religiously too.

I bet the daughter is watching Heartland.

In terms of minutes watched over the past 3 years, Heartland makes the top 10 most streamed shows in the US and certain other countries. It helps that there is a whopping 17 seasons to plow through.

Edited by red card

On 4/7/2024 at 12:45 AM, SthMelbRed said:

Without knowing anything other than "we're all from Vancouver," she managed to single out the two people from our group who were actually from Nanaimo, rather than North Burnaby.

Also depends what part of Nanaimo you are from, too. 😉

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Is Sali a bust? Dallas used the U22 DP rule on him and he is mostly playing Next Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a "bust", but he's 2006 born, just turned 18. He has like 4-5 more years to prove he belongs at the first-team level. I'd say he was just overhyped, and other kids his age caught up to him physically. He's very small, and the number 10 position that he would've once played has phased out of the game, so finding his position might be tricky. But if we compare him to other Canadian prospects his age, like Stefanovic and Badwal, they're also playing Next Pro mainly, so it's way too early to count him out.

25 minutes ago, AnonymousInsider said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a "bust", but he's 2006 born, just turned 18. He has like 4-5 more years to prove he belongs at the first-team level. I'd say he was just overhyped, and other kids his age caught up to him physically. He's very small, and the number 10 position that he would've once played has phased out of the game, so finding his position might be tricky. But if we compare him to other Canadian prospects his age, like Stefanovic and Badwal, they're also playing Next Pro mainly, so it's way too early to count him out.

Badwal and Stefanovic weren't acquired via a transfer fee and aren't U22 DPs.

Sali also has 50 appearances in a professional league.

That's the difference. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Badwal and Stefanovic weren't acquired via a transfer fee and aren't U22 DPs.

Sali also has 50 appearances in a professional league.

That's the difference. 

Still don’t think you can call an 18 year old kid a bust. How he was acquired or where he played before is irrelevant to his potential and whether he’s a bust or not. And he was coming off the bench for a lot of his time in a Romanian league that is quite a bit below MLS, so it shouldn’t be shocking he can’t walk into an MLS lineup. Again, overhyped? Probably. Inflated value? Most likely. Bust? Can’t call him that yet. Things change fast for young players, and his progression has stagnated in the last few months/years, but it can just as easily skyrocket in a few months. Not saying I think he will, as I personally am not too hopeful for Sali’s future development, but I can’t be sure and nobody can, at least not yet.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousInsider said:

Still don’t think you can call an 18 year old kid a bust. How he was acquired or where he played before is irrelevant to his potential and whether he’s a bust or not. And he was coming off the bench for a lot of his time in a Romanian league that is quite a bit below MLS, so it shouldn’t be shocking he can’t walk into an MLS lineup. Again, overhyped? Probably. Inflated value? Most likely. Bust? Can’t call him that yet. Things change fast for young players, and his progression has stagnated in the last few months/years, but it can just as easily skyrocket in a few months. Not saying I think he will, as I personally am not too hopeful for Sali’s future development, but I can’t be sure and nobody can, at least not yet.

I get what your saying. I'm just asking the question. 

Generally speaking MLS teams are looking for an immediate impact from their U22 initiative players. 

This feels like he will be another Mailula

What did I just read ? My eyes are bleeding.

He was on the bench for FC Dallas the past 2 weeks.

Never would Dallas burn a u-22 for a guy they didn’t believe in. With their track record I’m really far from worried.

also even if he’s still small just means he’s a late bloomer.