Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

19 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Given that Solonia and basically all of Chicago has emerged, I wonder if Onduze could switch to us ? Future is garunteed as the USA is literally exploding with young talent and on the verge of becoming a legitimately deep NT in the top 15.

I have been wondering the same thing 

42 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Given that Solonia and basically all of Chicago has emerged, I wonder if Onduze could switch to us ? Future is garunteed as the USA is literally exploding with young talent and on the verge of becoming a legitimately deep NT in the top 15.

Not following. Who is Solonia and how and what has Chicago emerged to? Also, who is Onduze? 

Just now, Norrin Radd said:

I think he means Odunze, the former Whitecaps prospect that they transferred to Leicester. He's apparently also eligible for Nigeria and England. IMO he's ours as soon as someone gives him Doneil's contact info.

Was he ever actually eligible for Canada? I thought that speculation was based on him potentially staying with the whitecaps and getting citizenship.

could be completely wrong though

3 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Was he ever actually eligible for Canada? I thought that speculation was based on him potentially staying with the whitecaps and getting citizenship.

could be completely wrong though

My understanding was that he received his citizenship before he left. I think I got that from his thread on this forum.

I also believe he lived in Canada from the age of 11 to 16/17 so that should be enough for FIFA eligibility.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

He means Slonina: Gabriel Slonina - Wikipedia

Kid is a mega prospect at keeper. Nothing is a sure thing, obviously, but he has the potential to be the USA's number one for like 10-15 years.

Not sure what "basically all of Chicago" is referencing... are there other keeper prospects from Chicago?

Chicago has 3 keepers who are touted that are 17 or younger, it’s crazy.

my bad on the spelling, I meant to say that Ondunze’s future as the US GK isn’t guaranteed.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Just realized, wouldn't Alex Bono technically be eligible for us now? I wonder if he's applied for Canadian citizenship.

Not that he'd start or anything, but an interesting wrinkle.

Think he’s played for the us at the senior level 

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

According to Wikipedia it was a friendly against Bolivia so he is not cap tied to the US. 

But if he played for them before he was eligible for Canada, I think that rules him out for a switch. Unless that rule has changed.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

But if he played for them before he was eligible for Canada, I think that rules him out for a switch. Unless that rule has changed.

I believe that rule has changed. This is why people were saying Auro could play for Canada. Granted getting shipped back to Brazil ends that for now.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

In some "Goddamn other federations scout this country better than the CSA themselves sometimes" news:

Romania has called up a Canadian 2005 born GK playing in Quebec.

Tbh it could be a reach on their part, also right now Anchor and Vezina are really strong 2005 keepers in the pipeline. The kid is 17 and at a youth local club, could he be good ? Probably, but until he moves up a few levels I would think someone is doing him a favour.

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Tbh it could be a reach on their part, also right now Anchor and Vezina are really strong 2005 keepers in the pipeline. The kid is 17 and at a youth local club, could he be good ? Probably, but until he moves up a few levels I would think someone is doing him a favour.

Ya I figure this is similar to how Twardek got noticed by the Czech Republic someone sent his tape to someone at the federation.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Ya I figure this is similar to how Twardek got noticed by the Czech Republic someone sent his tape to someone at the federation.

This, it doesn’t hurt to the fly the kid over. If he’s good they’ll fly him back and then go from there. I don’t want to discredit the kid too much, yes there’s tons of talent in QC, but being scouted at 17 from a league that has been shorted due to covid restrictions ???? For 2 years ? It’s a stretch, and AAA QC isn’t the top level, this is them throwing darts and hoping it sticks. We’re a big country, small time budget we’re going to miss kids, this happens to the us as well. I wouldn’t panic yet, and even if we do, odds of it mattering ??? We’re going to see 20 u 23 keepers pop up in the next 3 years: odds of this kid being better than all 20 are slim.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, ADP10 said:

The rules keep changing I honestly can't keep track of who is cap-tied and who isn't...

Honestly, that is the biggest argument for having a robust youth program.  Keep kids involved and motivate, and show them a direct pathway to the senior team if they are good enough.  While you could still have kids suddenly change allegiances for their first senior cap, I have a feeling that it would be less common if they were involved in something that felt like an integrated program.  The. It would matter far less what the latest FIFA dictate says about eligibility because these players would be content and aspiring to play for our senior team.  

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

We need to have youth teams. U17 and U20 at least. Most other countries do!

In addition to that, a consistent U23 team.
That age group I feel is the most understated. It’s the crossroads age where you’re too old for Concacaf youth tournaments, but typically you are breaking out in your career.

Its guys like Priso, Nelson, Corbeanu, Petrasso, Metusala, Colyn, Pacius, Yao, and Peruzza who are not quiet ready for the senior team…but still need to be active within the system. 

Edited by Shway

It really pisses me off when I read articles that make it sound like our success is because of "dual nationals" and players that could have played for other countries. While this is technically true, Canada is a land of immigrants ffs. Davies, David, Adekugbe etc have all grown up and played youth soccer in Canada....at present I think only Ugbo was not born/ developed here and even in his case he did play several years of youth soccer here. 

How many of the 86 team were 100% CDN, not eligible for another country??  I doubt there is much difference between the 2 teams, or the general public for that matter.  We've done this exercise before, according to FIFA rules, wouldnt most of us be duals???  I know I would be.