Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It really pisses me off when I read articles that make it sound like our success is because of "dual nationals" and players that could have played for other countries. While this is technically true, Canada is a land of immigrants ffs. Davies, David, Adekugbe etc have all grown up and played youth soccer in Canada....at present I think only Ugbo was not born/ developed here and even in his case he did play several years of youth soccer here. 

Forget just dual nationals, all the papers reporting Larry Tanenbaum is involved in buying Chelsea keep calling him the American Businessman because he owns an basketball team in the US-based NBA smfh 

Ferdi kadioglu is injured and was not called upnfor Turkey in their playoff game. If they don't qualify for the world cup the only other games they currently have scheduled this years are Nations League against the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, and Lithuania. If Herdman offered him a spot at out Nations League with the caveat that of he does well he is on the World Cup team, that would be hard to pass up.

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

Ferdi kadioglu is injured and was not called upnfor Turkey in their playoff game. If they don't qualify for the world cup the only other games they currently have scheduled this years are Nations League against the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, and Lithuania. If Herdman offered him a spot at out Nations League with the caveat that of he does well he is on the World Cup team, that would be hard to pass up.

Wouldnt he have had to file a one-time switch already? Wouldnt that cap tie him even without an appearance for Turkey?

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Wouldnt he have had to file a one-time switch already? Wouldnt that cap tie him even without an appearance for Turkey?

I could be wrong but one-time switch is sort of just a buzz word. He could technically one-time switch again to us if he doesn’t suit up for Turkey. Someone feel free to fact check me on this because I’m just remembering off the top of my head 

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Granted I feel like Herdman isn't a fan of how Ferdi's crew have conducted himself throughout this process.

In what way? According to any reports I’ve heard, we’ve always been Ferdi’s 3rd choice and I don’t think he’s changed his stance on that topic. It’s not like his Dad takes to twitter and tries to drum up support for his kid.

5 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

In what way? According to any reports I’ve heard, we’ve always been Ferdi’s 3rd choice and I don’t think he’s changed his stance on that topic. It’s not like his Dad takes to twitter and tries to drum up support for his kid.

We aren't 100% sure this was about Ferdi but Herdman alluded that some dual-nationals would have dialogue with Canada just as a bargaining chip. This was around the time Turkish media were saying Ferdi was gonna choose his country soon.

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We aren't 100% sure this was about Ferdi but Herdman alluded that some dual-nationals would have dialogue with Canada just as a bargaining chip. This was around the time Turkish media were saying Ferdi was gonna choose his country soon.

That could be about any of the young duals. It could easily be about Flores, Dias, Mitrovic or guys who have already switched to another country like Sali or Yankov. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

LOL imagine Canada qualifies and Turkey doesn't and he's like fuck it and pulls an Ugbo.

Granted I feel like Herdman isn't a fan of how Ferdi's crew have conducted himself throughout this process.

Ferdi just signed a new contract until 2026 and Fener made a big deal about him choosing Turkey, if he played in a different league we could've had a chance he grew up in Holland after all. 

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I could be wrong but one-time switch is sort of just a buzz word. He could technically one-time switch again to us if he doesn’t suit up for Turkey. Someone feel free to fact check me on this because I’m just remembering off the top of my head 

This is correct. If you file your change of association, and the new country never plays you (even in a friendly), you can request to change again. I'm unsure though if you can change to a 3rd team, or if it's only to change back to your original team.

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

13 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

This is correct. If you file your change of association, and the new country never plays you (even in a friendly), you can request to change again. I'm unsure though if you can change to a 3rd team, or if it's only to change back to your original team.

9 Change of association

(...)

5. A player that was:

(a) granted a change of association; and

(b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association,

may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association

Source: FIFA-Statutes-2021.pdf - Article 9, paragraph 5

So you cannot change to a 3rd team, just back to original nation. I think theoretically the way this is worded means you can ping pong back and forth as many times between the two countries, though that sounds kinda absurd in practice. I know para 1 of article 9 says "1. A player may, only once, request to change the association for which he is eligible to play to the association of another country of which he holds nationality" but that is obviously breached by article 9 para 5 so who knows.

So technically Ayo Akinola, for example, was not tied to us until he actually played in the Gold Cup. I remember this switch-back rule because I erroneously said he was "switch-tied" to us initially. 

Has a player ever actually used this section to switch back? Nothing comes to me from the top of my head. I figure if you're going through the rigmarole of switching, it is for an anticipated/agreed upon call up.

30 minutes ago, El Diego said:

9 Change of association

(...)

5. A player that was:

(a) granted a change of association; and

(b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association,

may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association

Source: FIFA-Statutes-2021.pdf - Article 9, paragraph 5

So you cannot change to a 3rd team, just back to original nation. I think theoretically the way this is worded means you can ping pong back and forth as many times between the two countries, though that sounds kinda absurd in practice. I know para 1 of article 9 says "1. A player may, only once, request to change the association for which he is eligible to play to the association of another country of which he holds nationality" but that is obviously breached by article 9 para 5 so who knows.

So technically Ayo Akinola, for example, was not tied to us until he actually played in the Gold Cup. I remember this switch-back rule because I erroneously said he was "switch-tied" to us initially. 

Has a player ever actually used this section to switch back? Nothing comes to me from the top of my head. I figure if you're going through the rigmarole of switching, it is for an anticipated/agreed upon call up.

Did he actually officially switch to Turkey, or was he planning to switch? I don’t see him playing for us, because I’m sure that was contingent on his new deal…

I think Ferdi is gone.

I also think he conducted himself perfectly fine. There may have been some conversations with Canada, which makes sense from the perspective of someone making a decision. He never said he was leaning towards Canada or sent mixed signals. I wish him the best.

I don't get it, some people here really try to extrapolate and apparently are able to read Herdman's mind and come to some really weird conclusions...

6 minutes ago, Dag Nasty said:

Too funny the turncoats all lost today. Ferdi and Christianti both out but could have been playing for the best country and rising football nation. 

I'd hardly label them as turncoats. Neither one was born or raised here. If you asked them to pick out Canada on a map I doubt they could. Forget that one a lot Canadians can't either.

1 hour ago, Dag Nasty said:

Too funny the turncoats all lost today. Ferdi and Christianti both out but could have been playing for the best country and rising football nation. 

I think longshots is the term your looking for.  Just cause a guy has a little flag by his name on transfermarket doesnt mean they are turncoats.  i dont think there was ever a chance in hell either one was coming to play for canada, and it was just wishful thinking on our and CSA part.  Some of those guys we do get, but thats like finding a 20 dollar bill in an old coat, its great but dont expect it to happen very often.  

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Listening to the latest Northern Futbol podcast and they mentioned that Hardman gave the players a job to try to help convince duals to switch to Canada.

Probably helps explain the story of Henry and Ugbo

I think there is an interview on youtube with Henry and Jack, where Henry mentions that he and Ugbo know one another from childhood, and that Ugbo made the first move. Or something like that.

There was a time when Canada needed to do everything to attract talent to the program, but it is no longer the case.

We are going to a World Cup and hosting a World Cup next time. These are two chances for a player to play in that tournament. Not even top countries can guarantee that they will be in the World Cup twice in a row. 

If that doesn't excite you to play for this country, then nothing will. Good luck guys choosing other nations, but I can promise for the vast majority of players it will be the wrong decision.