Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I wouldn’t know - but I am sure others will be ID’d in due course.  It seems inevitable that we will identify a few would-be saviours to monitor.  

Absolutely, I am sure someone has their finger on the pulse of that. I do wonder if the CSA actively is pursuing the globe for such potential targets?

55 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wasn’t there some post Recently about Herdman (and presumably the CSA machine) tracking something like 3000 players?

I honestly do not recall, but such an effort would not surprise me. Herdman seems like the type of guy who would want to and put the effort in to unearth hidden gems that could benefit the program. 

2 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I honestly do not recall, but such an effort would not surprise me. Herdman seems like the type of guy who would want to and put the effort in to unearth hidden gems that could benefit the program. 

There is tracking and then there is tracking...how much can you realistically track 3000 players scattered all over the world??  How many guys are in the Canucks abroad spreadsheet?? 

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There is tracking and then there is tracking...how much can you realistically track 3000 players scattered all over the world??  How many guys are in the Canucks abroad spreadsheet?? 

I assume you would rely on “natural selection” a bit and tier the process.  Anyone playing in a respectable league would get monitored more closely, and anyone playing low level or borderline amateur footy would just be a name on a list that gets checked occasionally to make sure they haven’t changed levels.  

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Every time I see this it makes me think about the anectdote that Ali Curtis wrote a 300 page report on how he would fix NYRB.

Seems like needless overkill.

Or a make work project for someone with severe ADHD 

Edited by narduch

If Herdman has the resources to study guys in semi-pro 7th level beer league ball in some obscure country, then all the guff we have heard about CSA not having enough money is bunk. Having a list of L10 players or Usports/Ncaa CDN kids doesnt mean you are actually putting in any time.  By the way Kyle Heibert is finishing his last season of NCAA ball and has already been a 2 time all america defender out of Missouri state.  

• 1 month later...

Where are we these days with duals who are eligible and are presently realistic candidates for the CMNT?  

Yankov has played 77 minutes for Bulgaria over three games. Is he already gone?

Mitrovic has just been called up to Serbia U-21. Given that Herdman capped Brym, an odd choice as we know, should Mitrovic be called up for the next CMNT window?

Do you suppose that Kadioglu would accept a call for this window? Would it be a good idea to call him now?

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Where are we these days with duals who are eligible and are presently realistic candidates for the CMNT?  

Yankov has played 77 minutes for Bulgaria over three games. Is he already gone?

Mitrovic has just been called up to Serbia U-21. Given that Herdman capped Brym, an odd choice as we know, should Mitrovic be called up for the next CMNT window?

Do you suppose that Kadioglu would accept a call for this window? Would it be a good idea to call him now?

Cheers!

I’ve watched a lot of Kadioglu and Fenerbahce this season, he would definitely help us but I don’t know if we are on his radar currently. I’m surprised Turkey hasn’t called him to their national team but he might be holding out for the Netherlands only at this point. If I’m Herdman, I’m calling him to gauge his interest before every window. We can never have enough quality in the team.

1 minute ago, Strait Red said:

I’ve watched a lot of Kadioglu and Fenerbahce this season, he would definitely help us but I don’t know if we are on his radar currently. I’m surprised Turkey hasn’t called him to their national team but he might be holding out for the Netherlands only at this point. If I’m Herdman, I’m calling him to gauge his interest before every window. We can never have enough quality in the team.

Everything I have heard (which admittedly is contained within the walls of this thread) is that he basically is not interested.  Now, that can change at any point, and the closer we get to Qatar, I think the more compelling case we make, but I still consider him to be a really long shot.  

Having said that, Herdman should definitely be doing whatever he can to let him know that we are interested.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Everything I have heard (which admittedly is contained within the walls of this thread) is that he basically is not interested.  Now, that can change at any point, and the closer we get to Qatar, I think the more compelling case we make, but I still consider him to be a really long shot.  

Having said that, Herdman should definitely be doing whatever he can to let him know that we are interested.

It’s been reported on here that he was called for both the Sept and Oct window but declined so Herdman has done what he can to let him know we are interested 

This is a good interview if you're curious about the recruiting that often goes into getting dual nationals.

Interesting to hear Herdman state that he's had conversations that were essentially used by agents to leverage their players to opportunities elsewhere, while leading Canada astray. The two that come to mind in that sense are Cristante and Yankov, both of which I seem to remember hearing were pretty confidently nearing switches to the CanMNT.

Also, it's funny to hear that Chelsea as a club was blocking Herdman from recruiting Ugbo. Meanwhile, our clubs were pushing players (Akinola) towards other countries.