Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

On 11/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Pottsy3 said:

This is a good interview if you're curious about the recruiting that often goes into getting dual nationals.

I didn't think Iké would have been eligible back in 2018 given the whole "5 (full) years" thing. Interesting that they were already trying to recruit him back then.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Pottsy3 said:

Interesting to hear Herdman state that he's had conversations that were essentially used by agents to leverage their players to opportunities elsewhere, while leading Canada astray.

Actually Aviv Solomon comes to mind. Apparently invited in March 2020, leaks to the Israeli media that he'd rather play for Israel and it seems like he's not been contacted or expressed any public desire to play for Canada ( as far as we're are aware ) since.

• 2 weeks later...

The lads over at MLS "Club and Country" were speculating--the Canadian was, at least--that Canada's performance over this window will likely make them even better come the New Year, not so much because of growing confidence and experience etc, but because some of the higher quality dual-nationals might finally pick Canada in short order. 

So:

1. Who are your top three preferences in this regard?

2. And, who would feel is the most likely to commit before the January window?

12 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

The lads over at MLS "Club and Country" were speculating--the Canadian was, at least--that Canada's performance over this window will likely make them even better come the New Year, not so much because of growing confidence and experience etc, but because some of the higher quality dual-nationals might finally pick Canada in short order. 

So:

1. Who are your top three preferences in this regard?

2. And, who would feel is the most likely to commit before the January window?

David Gass is not actually Canadian, it's just a joke on the show because he always gets excited for Canada.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

1. Ferdi 
2. DJ
3. Flores

In that order.

Spot on for me as well.

1. Ferdi - Can contribute now.

2. DJ - Greatest potential.

3. Flores - A midfield role we need.

I'll add to this.

4. Smith - 18 years old in a top 5 league and in a position we need.

5. Mitrovic - Probably the closest player aside from Ferdi that could contribute to our program (albeit a role player).

For me it’s 

Ferdi #1 by a good distance. He’s the only dual who can help us in the current qualifying campaign. I’ve watched the majority of his games with Fenerbahce this season and he would be a significant addition to our program. He’s a long shot to join as we all know, but I’m sure Herdman is trying.

2 Flores and 3. Dias

Marcelo Flores just won player of the tournament at the Revelations Cup (Brazil, USA, Colombia u20’s). Mexican media are gushing over him; he seems to be their brightest prospect. His post tournament quote/translated (per @cansoccerfeed on twitter): “I have not gone to Canada yet and I want to, after that I will make a decision, my father already spoke with Martino.” Given recent events his mind must be racing. 

I wonder if Herdman puts on the full court press to get him into the January camp. I don’t think calling him to train with Canada’s u20’s is going to cut it. I fully understand the debate of locker room chemistry and calling in players with 0 professional minutes but this guy looks like a blue chip prospect. 

If a player decides to commit to Canada only after we have qualified for Qatar (or even right before), then I would have very little interest in bringing that player unless we are decimated by injuries.  As a result, this could be a very narrow window, if it isn't already shut assuming we continue to play as we are and get similar results.

You dance with the one that brought you.

55 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

If a player decides to commit to Canada only after we have qualified for Qatar (or even right before), then I would have very little interest in bringing that player unless we are decimated by injuries.  As a result, this could be a very narrow window, if it isn't already shut assuming we continue to play as we are and get similar results.

You dance with the one that brought you.

What happens if the other one asking you to dance is a 10/10 centerfold? 

At some point you need to make space for new players. As much as Hoilett, Wotherspoon, Atiba, ect... heck even Osorio has got us to where we are they will need to be replaced in the next 2 to 5 years. Flores fits a future need so do we not roll out the red carpet for him? If not who is next and when will they be here?

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

What happens if the other one asking you to dance is a 10/10 centerfold? 

At some point you need to make space for new players. As much as Hoilett, Wotherspoon, Atiba, ect... heck even Osorio has got us to where we are they will need to be replaced in the next 2 to 5 years. Flores fits a future need so do we not roll out the red carpet for him? If not who is next and when will they be here?

Sure.  But Qatar is less than a year away and we are talking about a kid that has yet to play a fully pro game.  Is he better right now than Oso or Kaye?   I highly doubt it.  Now, if he was interested in coming into camp and he was interested in committing his future to what is clearly an exciting team (and it will be exciting for another decade given our age profile) I could see us getting him into a squad for a window and maybe giving him some sub minutes to seal the deal.  But that couldn’t come with a guarantee of time in Qatar.   He may be one for the future but there is only so much time he would get in the present based on his current level of play.  

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sure.  But Qatar is less than a year away and we are talking about a kid that has yet to play a fully pro game.  Is he better right now than Oso or Kaye?   I highly doubt it.  Now, if he was interested in coming into camp and he was interested in committing his future to what is clearly an exciting team (and it will be exciting for another decade given our age profile) I could see us getting him into a squad for a window and maybe giving him some sub minutes to seal the deal.  But that couldn’t come with a guarantee of time in Qatar.   He may be one for the future but there is only so much time he would get in the present based on his current level of play.  

At this point I would be okay if Wotherspoon was dropped for Flores, whether He sees the field is another thing but at least we are bringing him in.

Ideally Canada would participate in U20 events to bring in these young guys and give them the treatment that Mexico just gave Flores. I know that is the feeling of pretty much all of us here but without the U20’s we need another way to bring these guys in. The only option I see right now is the full Mens team.

This isn’t just about Flores but other young duals (Jebbison, Diaz, Mitrovic, etc..) also. I feel that we need to keep growing our player pool whenever the opportunity arises. We just added Ugbo and I understand he is established with pro minutes but that is a new player with 8 games remaining so Herdman is willing to bring new players in late in a cycle and the team seemed to have welcomed him.

Long story short, I do not see a problem using a roster spot on a dual national and them not seeing the field. Especially with these expanded rosters, if ever there was a time to do it now would be the time.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

At this point I would be okay if Wotherspoon was dropped for Flores, whether He sees the field is another thing but at least we are bringing him in.

Ideally Canada would participate in U20 events to bring in these young guys and give them the treatment that Mexico just gave Flores. I know that is the feeling of pretty much all of us here but without the U20’s we need another way to bring these guys in. The only option I see right now is the full Mens team.

This isn’t just about Flores but other young duals (Jebbison, Diaz, Mitrovic, etc..) also. I feel that we need to keep growing our player pool whenever the opportunity arises. We just added Ugbo and I understand he is established with pro minutes but that is a new player with 8 games remaining so Herdman is willing to bring new players in late in a cycle and the team seemed to have welcomed him.

Long story short, I do not see a problem using a roster spot on a dual national and them not seeing the field. Especially with these expanded rosters, if ever there was a time to do it now would be the time.

If Flores was to come in to camp it would have to be with the agreement to not cap tie him otherwise he just wouldn't come. I agree with the u20's being an issue as most of us do but one positive of inviting him to a wcq camp is that Flores would be in the same training environment as David, Davies, Tajon, etc and 2 weeks with those guys and we stand a decent chance.

I would expect he would be in the Taxi squad as planned last January. Then he can train, get a feel for it and make the right decision!

Do wonder if Mexico will go all out and try and captie him before. The goals and performances this past week for the U20 won't have gone un-noticed for sure. Ultimately I can't see Mexico calling him, pressure is on with these two losses and the lad hasn't played first team football yet. In contrast, if he was to commit I could totally see him getting a Canada cap during these qualifiers, even if it is hard to justify his inclusion over others.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:04 PM, Strait Red said:

For me it’s 

Ferdi #1 by a good distance. He’s the only dual who can help us in the current qualifying campaign. I’ve watched the majority of his games with Fenerbahce this season and he would be a significant addition to our program. He’s a long shot to join as we all know, but I’m sure Herdman is trying.

2 Flores and 3. Dias

For Ferdi if we could land him and Flores and Jebbison, then our 2026 squad would look pretty deep as far as offensive firepower 

• 2 months later...