Octavio Zambrano

RJB

11 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

In the latest footy soldiers podcast they mention that Zombrano was the CSA's second choice and the first choice guy leveraged the Canadian job offer into a mexican job. Out of morbid curiosity, does anyone know who the first choice guy was?

This is interesting.  There are 4 coaches who recently signed contracts to coach in the Liga MX:

Jose Cardozo, Puebla, Jan 2017

Jaime Lozano, Queretaro, Feb 2017

Roberto Hernandez, Morelia, Feb 2017

Juan Luna, Veracruz, Mar 2017

None have any apparent links to Canada or MLS and none have any international coaching experience.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Blackdude said:

21 halves. :rolleyes:

Oh god I've never counted the halves. That is depressing! 917 minutes, if I am counting that right. I think my new goal for the tournament is for us to score a goal from the run of play before the 83rd minute in game 1 against French Guiana.

In the most recent TFC Pitchside Podcast Ricketts said he has talked to Zambrano only once after a game. I wonder how much contact there usually is with national team coaches and their players outside of national team camps and games. Seems odd that Ricketts, who I assume will be called, has not even had a phone conversation about tactics. Or even a phone call about other players on the team since he is a veteran of the team.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

In the most recent TFC Pitchside Podcast Ricketts said he has talked to Zambrano only once after a game. I wonder how much contact there usually is with national team coaches and their players outside of national team camps and games. Seems odd that Ricketts, who I assume will be called, has not even had a phone conversation about tactics. Or even a phone call about other players on the team since he is a veteran of the team.

That is interesting.  Given we have a small pool of players I am also kind of surprised Zambrano didnt take the time to call players that he hadnt talked to in person.  You know, a "keep up that good club form and we'll see you at the gold cup" kind of thing.  Everyone has their own managing style I guess.  

50 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That is interesting.  Given we have a small pool of players I am also kind of surprised Zambrano didnt take the time to call players that he hadnt talked to in person.  You know, a "keep up that good club form and we'll see you at the gold cup" kind of thing.  Everyone has their own managing style I guess.  

Definitely a little odd but it seems that Zambrano's style is rather to meet the players in person as opposed to a phone call. I feel like the players may appreciate that he's taking the time to travel out to them. I'm impressed with him going out to Uruguay to talk to Cavallini and Italy with Cristante. I'm sure he'll take the time to go out to Toronto soon.

8 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Definitely a little odd but it seems that Zambrano's style is rather to meet the players in person as opposed to a phone call. I feel like the players may appreciate that he's taking the time to travel out to them. I'm impressed with him going out to Uruguay to talk to Cavallini and Italy with Cristante. I'm sure he'll take the time to go out to Toronto soon.

He met with Cavallini?

Well that seems like definitive proof of at least the approach.   Hopefully it yields some positive results.

Kudos to OZ for what seems like a proactive approach to player recruitment/engagement.  Not sure how to read the Ricketts comment.  It may be that he hasn't reached out to some of the core guys simply because their participation is a given.  Or he may want to accumulate as many interested bodies as he can before doing a fairly deep assessment of all the tools at his disposal.  Either way, it is great to see the effort being put into engaging a few guys who could really make a difference for us.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic