Octavio Zambrano

RJB

13 hours ago, canta15 said:

I forget did you like the idea of Piette playing for Canada even though he plays in a weak league?

You asked the question I prompted you to ask, nice of you to take me up on it.

A keeper is alone, like a centre forward. Which is why you want them performing at a higher level, it makes a difference. Also for centre backs. The level you play at really shows on the pitch vs. strong competition. Leutwiler is also young and if they can stay up in League One I think he'll move up as well, transfering to a better side. That would be great for us too.

For me I couldn't care much about Piette though I want him to play well for Canada. I am also keen to see him improve and move up the Spain tiers. At his age, for where he is, all power to him. He's young. Midfields are 4-5 players and he can have a role. When he was in 4th tier at Deportivo for me it was a problem as the level was not great. Now the team is playing well in a division with some strong teams. They are probably like a weaker League One or League 2 side, with the difference that Spain plays better quality possessional and tactical football in general than England.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Leutwiler is 28 and been a pro for 10 years. Thomas plays in d2 norway, Stamatopoulos is a career backup and we have a bunch who are starters or backups in d2 usa so no reason to not consider Leutwiler if he's starting in league two.

Oops, thought he was much younger, surprised. 

Our keeper pool is kind of crappy, sorry to say. I wouldn't argue that keeping has been our main problem over the years, even in qualifying, but we haven't had anyone dominant since a short period with Lars and before that Forrest.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

22 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Ranjitsingh is Trinidadian. Jamaica has poached a handful of GTA players at the U17 levels over the last 6 years - none of them in consideration for our own U17's - basically non-Top 50 for our youth player pool.

I know...it was a comparison thing as those teams are on the same level.

23 minutes ago, The Ref said:

I hope Zambrano will be the man that put us in the map.  We had enough coaches who have made no difference.  It is time for something great to happen.

It'll be interesting for sure. He's been a scrapper for the last few years so I think that'll help us out. Adding to that, he very well will be given the most valuable tool any of our coaches has had in the last 20 years with the CPL. If that thing starts up next year, the combo of the two could make Canada a CONCACAF contender quickly.

Edited by matty

We have to temper our expectations for the CanPL contributing the national team. If we make our best 11 there not many playing CanPL.  Lots of reserves and for sure a fall back if a player isn't available.

I don't think there's even 1 member of our best  11 who will play there.

Borjan, Aird, James, Edgar, De Jong, Davies, Arfield, Johnson, Osorio, Hoilett, Larin.

Non of those guys play CanPL.  From our 2nd tier there are though- Legerwood, Lefevre, Tissot, Gasparatto, Straith, Piette, Attakora, Ouimette, Bustos, Morgan, Becker, Chapman, Teibert, Hamilton, Babouli.  

Those are guys I expect to play at least 1 season in the CanPL and having them match fit and in form will be a great asset if one of our top 11 are not available or to fill out a 23 man roster. 

Edited by baulderdash77

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

We have to temper our expectations for the CanPL contributing the national team. If we make our best 11 there not many playing CanPL.  Lots of reserves and for sure a fall back if a player isn't available.

I don't think there's even 1 member of our best  11 who will play there.

Borjan, Aird, James, Edgar, De Jong, Davies, Arfield, Johnson, Osorio, Hoilett, Larin.

Non of those guys play CanPL.  From our 2nd tier there are though- Legerwood, Lefevre, Tissot, Gasparatto, Straith, Piette, Attakora, Ouimette, Bustos, Morgan, Becker, Chapman, Teibert, Hamilton, Babouli.  

Those are guys I expect to play at least 1 season in the CanPL and having them match fit and in form will be a great asset if one of our top 11 are not available or to fill out a 23 man roster. 

If the cpl is what it's being hyped to be it will have an impact quickly. Look at the isl. Also I'd be shocked if two of your top 11 are not in cpl by 2020 (should it exist)

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think the CPL provides a stability of consistent quality PT and a development pathway.  It raises the floor of our talent base but best players won't be there In all likelihood.  

If it is what the claims are some will be there.

17 hours ago, PopePouri said:

If Zambrano brings back Patrice for the Gold Cup, he'll earn a ton of respect from me. He's at least saying the right things.

I agree. Call Occean as well. He won't play over Larin, but I would take him as a 3rd or 4th option.

12 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think the CPL provides a stability of consistent quality PT and a development pathway.  It raises the floor of our talent base but best players won't be there In all likelihood.  

I replied already but I'm going to go into more depth. You're over estimating our best XI. A lot of the guys who are "elite" Canadians are both older and not exactly stars.

Borjan for example has struggled for playing time almost everywhere he's been in the last 5 years and isn't playing at that strong a level right now, De Jong hasn't been so hot in MLS and remember he took a NASL gig when he couldn't score an MLS one and Edgar has a question mark for the future of his career in MLS after he comes back. All of these guys are also going to be on the wrong side of 30 next year. If the CPL is paying what we're hearing these guys will be there.

There's also a large element of our current national team regulars who are game to play in the NASL. If this league is over the NASL in terms of level then it's safe to say a good number will look to move to it.

Point is IF the CPL is paying what we're hearing and looking to be a league over NASL it will have a quick impact on our player pool. However if the money isn't there, you're point is right.

Maybe your right and if I look at some of the players that I figure will be in the CanPL, there's a fair number of minutes and appearances that we've given out over the past few years.

The fact is that our best 11 are rarely all available to play because of club situations or health.  Having a great 11 or 13 players isn't enough.  Those 60-70 players getting regular PT in the CanPL end up being the core of the players we supplement our best 7-9 who are not in the league and are available.

What I think and hoping Zambrano will do that Floro did not is try to put the best possible roster out their, meaning that we will not be scratching our heads on why an Osorio was not chosen or a Will Johnson not chosen or why an Ocean was never looked at again or why a Bernier who was still doing it in the MLS was hardly considered,  what really happened to Cavallini. I think that hopefully when we see an Octavio Zambrano roster it will make bloody sense! I don't think Stubbornness will be reasons why we lose bloody games! 

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

What I think and hoping Zambrano will do that Floro did not is try to put the best possible roster out their, meaning that we will not be scratching our heads on why an Osorio was not chosen or a Will Johnson not chosen or why an Ocean was never looked at again or why a Bernier who was still doing it in the MLS was hardly considered,  what really happened to Cavallini. I think that hopefully when we see an Octavio Zambrano roster it will make bloody sense! I don't think Stubbornness will be reasons why we lose bloody games! 

I just hope if he excludes someone from the line up he gives us a damn reason for it unlike Floro with a numerous amount of names

19 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Just playing devil's advocate here so take it easy guys. There's been 2 questions on my mind since ever regarding Cpl: what will attract those 2nd tier players mentioned or even our best players where they can play abroad, in more exotic cities/leagues/higher caliber? Look at Bekker, Ouimette, Attakora in San Francisco- don't you think they'd rather play their in the Golden Gate city than say Saskatoon or Saint John? Just look at our Cdn NHL players lots of them want to play away from Canada cause of the media plus to get away from the winter and instead want to play in sunny California or Florida or make US dollars. You think Hamilton, Tiebert and Babouli will leave major Cdn cities like Toronto and Vancouver in a higher caliber league like MLS to go down in class, pay, tv coverage and city just to play in CPL?

And my second question is who is going to pay to go see lower caliber soccer? People here in Edmonton are not packing the stadium to watch local products and support FCE. In Montreal nobody cared about FC Montreal. Toronto lynx?

I know I should post this on the CPL page but I can't see how the second tier players let alone top would want to play in CPL unless as a last resort to jump start their career or end their career. 

18 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

indeed and 1 gem should pop up each year.

1 hour ago, Moldy9 said:

Just playing devil's advocate here so take it easy guys. There's been 2 questions on my mind since ever regarding Cpl: what will attract those 2nd tier players mentioned or even our best players where they can play abroad, in more exotic cities/leagues/higher caliber? Look at Bekker, Ouimette, Attakora in San Francisco- don't you think they'd rather play their in the Golden Gate city than say Saskatoon or Saint John? Just look at our Cdn NHL players lots of them want to play away from Canada cause of the media plus to get away from the winter and instead want to play in sunny California or Florida or make US dollars. You think Hamilton, Tiebert and Babouli will leave major Cdn cities like Toronto and Vancouver in a higher caliber league like MLS to go down in class, pay, tv coverage and city just to play in CPL?

And my second question is who is going to pay to go see lower caliber soccer? People here in Edmonton are not packing the stadium to watch local products and support FCE. In Montreal nobody cared about FC Montreal. Toronto lynx?

I know I should post this on the CPL page but I can't see how the second tier players let alone top would want to play in CPL unless as a last resort to jump start their career or end their career. 

Short Answers

Question one: Money and yes career push. This is dependant on the CPL being what people like Rollins, Larson and Beirne are saying it will be. A decent level of play that offers better money than NASL, USL and many Euro leagues.

Second question: The CPL being what Rollins, Larson and Beirne are saying it will be. A decent level of play with actual marketing pushes and actually money behind it.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

When Zambrano gets to work with the NASL CSL APSL A-League CUSL MLS CPL it's going to transform our NT!!! I'm so psyched that i've decided i'm putting all of my emotional eggs into it's basket!

I love the sarcasm. I'm not saying the CPL is going to be the final answer to our issues but it's a good tool to help him and any future coaches out. If it is offering Canadians regular minutes right away at a high level, Zambrano will use it.

15 minutes ago, matty said:

I love the sarcasm. I'm not saying the CPL is going to be the final answer to our issues but it's a good tool to help him and any future coaches out. If it is offering Canadians regular minutes right away at a high level, Zambrano will use it.

Hey, i'm all for tempered enthuiasm, i just see too many comments talking about the CPL as if it is a done deal when it isn't. I hope it happens and i hope it finally gives our players a place to develop, play and/or return to, but some of us have seen this play out before and there a lot of people who might get their souls crushed if things go south.

Just now, jpg75 said:

Hey, i'm all for tempered enthuiasm, i just see too many comments talking about the CPL as if it is a done deal when it isn't. I hope it happens and i hope it finally gives our players a place to develop, play and/or return to, but some of us have seen this play out before and there a lot of people who might get their souls crushed if things go south.

I agree that's why I'm saying "if it is" cause there's a chance it doesn't come to be or isn't what we've been told.

3 hours ago, matty said:

I agree that's why I'm saying "if it is" cause there's a chance it doesn't come to be or isn't what we've been told.

That's fine, i had all of the posts collectively in mind and was not singling any one person.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic