Octavio Zambrano

RJB

I wonder how much behind-the-scenes disagreements contributed to Tony Fonseca's exit. Maybe, in his opinion, the CSA still needs a TD. 

So far the only official word on any of the rest of the staff is that Findlay will be retained. No word on anyone else on the men's side. I wonder how this all will shake out. 

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

So far the only official word on any of the rest of the staff is that Findlay will be retained. No word on anyone else on the men's side. I wonder how this all will shake out. 

They did announce the rest of the coaching staff.

Javier Livia is being brought on as an assistant to the senior team, and I believe it was mentioned somewhere that he will be taking over the U20s as well. Colombian Norberto Salamanca is being brought on as a fitness coach and TSN and a few other outlets have stated that Egyptian Zakaria Abdel (a long-time associate of Zambrano's) will take over as GK coach. Paul Stalteri and Ante Jazic are still running the U17s and OZ will run the U23s.

http://www.tsn.ca/zambrano-named-coach-canadian-men-s-team-1.699084

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-introduces-new-head-coach-octavio-zambrano-to-lead-the-men-s-national-team-program-p160654

Edited by Zem

On 3/16/2017 at 5:56 PM, Obinna said:

Akindele has not regressed since his rookie year, Dallas has strengthened. He has scored 6 to 8 goals every season on the best team in MLS.

He never was the difference maker in any of those seasons - that title goes to Diaz.

That is what we need from Hoilett, as he is the only player in the pool capable of turning a game on it's head. I suspect he'd be more useful to the team's attack in the middle, where he can support Larin.

Agreed! Akindele's the 12th man on the best team in MLS. He's scored some big goals for them and is a key part of their attack coming off the bench to harass tired defenders, the same way Ricketts does for TFC. That's no regression.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:52 AM, Gian-Luca said:

I don't mind Zambrano saying "We will not rely on the MLS environment" (in the event of the emergence of a Canadian league) if what he really means is "We will not rely solely on the MLS". There's no chance that we will not be relying on MLS to a significant degree especially with the improved domestic roster status for Canadians, and especially as it's looking less likely (based on the Spectator article that just came out) that the Canadian league will be up and running before 2019, which will also be the same year that WCQ next begins. If a Canadian league is up and running by then, I have a tough time expecting that the national team's domestic-based players on the roster will be made up predominantly of players from that league in the first year of the league's existence.

link please?

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

He's heavily implying that Qatar qualifications won't necessarily be the deal breaker for him being renewed to a new contract.

And it shouldn't guarantee it necessarily but missing the hex and continued embarrassments should prevent it

Edited by matty

27 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Simply just warming up and foreshadowing his unbeaten record to come in Qatar in 2022. 

Hopefully the Aspire tournament was also foreshadowing the attendance numbers we will see in Qatar too. There was at least 7 people there today, maybe even more, and we couldn't even see the stands on the camera side (I watched without sound, so I bet I'm looking like an idiot now and there were actually 10,000 screaming fans on the camera side of the field).

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

Hopefully the Aspire tournament was also foreshadowing the attendance numbers we will see in Qatar too. There was at least 7 people there today, maybe even more, and we couldn't even see the stands on the camera side (I watched without sound, so I bet I'm looking like an idiot now and there were actually 10,000 screaming fans on the camera side of the field).

It's the World Cup. It is different from a u23 friendly tournament.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

There was significant cheering during our Uzbek match, presumibly close to the camera. Sounded like maybe 50-100. 

If you honestly think Iranians and Italians and Egytians and South Koreans will not go to Qatar on the basis of an u-23 friendly attendance, you should get a check-up. Qatar will be full every single game, I am sure.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There was significant cheering during our Uzbek match, presumibly close to the camera. Sounded like maybe 50-100. 

If you honestly think Iranians and Italians and Egytians and South Koreans will not go to Qatar on the basis of an u-23 friendly attendance, you should get a check-up. Qatar will be full every single game, I am sure.

Let's see if russia sells out every game first

3 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

We'll see what happens more over the long term, but from my perspective, he was actually quite willing, in game to change formations.

Sure but starting, we're not a 4-3-3, let alone a 4-1-4-1 team. I'd love us to play that but we don't get goals from midfield.

Edited by PopePouri

15 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

i went to brazil. they didnt sell out every game either.

the empty seats in brazil were mostly due to the resale tickets, corporate tickets (i think there were around 500k of these), and reserved tickets used for over the counter sales. it's believed they sold out all blocks they released (hard to say for sure).

• 2 weeks later...

Great interview with Octavio on the podcast "loin de s'en foot", talked about how we wants canada to have to winning mentality instead of not looking to lose, for the next four years and at all levels. Also talked about Balou Tabla on the fact that he's ready to play on the First team and how he's going to have a discussion with him very soon. Podcast is on Itunes. 

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

Great interview with Octavio on the podcast "loin de s'en foot", talked about how we wants canada to have to winning mentality instead of not looking to lose, for the next four years and at all levels. Also talked about Balou Tabla on the fact that he's ready to play on the First team and how he's going to have a discussion with him very soon. Podcast is on Itunes. 

I take it that's in French?  Podcasting sites are blocked at work.  I saw on twitter there's an interview with him on RDS as well.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic