Octavio Zambrano

RJB

On 4/8/2017 at 9:23 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Honestly, the simple fact that OZ can speak English, whereas Floro couldn't really, is so refreshing. lol

It sounded like in the French interview that he was learning French too. He said something like I hope the next time I am interviewed I can speak better in French. He also mentioned understanding about half of what they were saying in French. I think this is good both in terms of communicating and showing respect to our French-Canadian players and fans. It also shows a real commitment to the job and Canada. It won't mean much if his tactics and selections are poor (which hopefully they won't be) but he seems to be doing and saying all the right things so far outside the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I've seen this posted yet: http://boxscorenews.com/zambrano-canada-already-looking-forward-to-p140483-68.htm

Interesting quote: “Canada is going through a generational change, so we have to make sure the guys who come after them are players of similar or better quality. That's a very difficult task because we're talking about world class players.”

Any "world class players" besides Atiba and JDG?

6 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Don't think I've seen this posted yet: http://boxscorenews.com/zambrano-canada-already-looking-forward-to-p140483-68.htm

Interesting quote: “Canada is going through a generational change, so we have to make sure the guys who come after them are players of similar or better quality. That's a very difficult task because we're talking about world class players.”

I think he's likely not just talking about the current squad but also players like DeRo (etc) going back to the last cycle.

I wouldn't over-analyze it.  It is really just the kind of thing you say as a national team coach tasked with shepherding in a new generation.  Contrast with:

“...we have to make sure the guys who come after them are players of similar or better quality, which should be a really simple task because we're talking about some pretty mediocre players.”

Doesn't have the same inspiring ring to it.

11 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

I thought the most interesting quote was the preceding sentence: 

“The Gold Cup is a good tournament because we will get to see some of the young players who perhaps have not been part of the national team before...”

9 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I thought the most interesting quote was the preceding sentence: 

“The Gold Cup is a good tournament because we will get to see some of the young players who perhaps have not been part of the national team before...”

Interpretation. "The Gold Cup is a good tournament because it doesn't matter so we can just throw anyone on the field".

I admit that in 2013 I was feeling so defeated that I wanted the national team to be exclusively teenagers, but come on can we please send our best team?

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Interpretation. "The Gold Cup is a good tournament because it doesn't matter so we can just throw anyone on the field".

I admit that in 2013 I was feeling so defeated that I wanted the national team to be exclusively teenagers, but come on can we please send our best team?

Yea that comment concerns me. The Gold Cup is a MAJOR tournament whether we think it or not and he should threat it as such. It sounds like he's going to use it to try out a bunch of the u23s rather than sending the best.

I wish they had hired him sooner so he could get his experimentation out of the way sooner. Hope Findlay tells him they need to send the best team.

Edited by matty

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I seem to be missing the part of the quote where he says he is going to play young players who don't deserve to be on the pitch. Your interpretation is pretty inaccurate. 

Edited by Grizzly

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I seem to be missing the part of the quote where he says he is going to play young players who don't deserve to be on the pitch. Your interpretation is pretty inaccurate. 

So your interpretation is that he is saying "The Gold Cup is a good tournament cause there are games." In his words he seems to imply that there is something specifically about the Gold Cup that allows him to see new players, presumably that he wouldn't be able to see if Canada were playing World Cup Qualifiers. I could be reading too much into an offhand comment that he maybe didn't put a lot of thought into. I hope so.

I'm not against bringing in one or two new guys if Zambrano thinks they can contribute, I just don't want this to be a throwaway tournament. I don't think it will be good for my health if we fail to score a goal or a point yet again.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

So your interpretation is that he is saying "The Gold Cup is a good tournament cause there are games." In his words he seems to imply that there is something specifically about the Gold Cup that allows him to see new players, presumably that he wouldn't be able to see if Canada were playing World Cup Qualifiers. I could be reading too much into an offhand comment that he maybe didn't put a lot of thought into. I hope so.

I'm not against bringing in one or two new guys if Zambrano thinks they can contribute, I just don't want this to be a throwaway tournament. I don't think it will be good for my health if we fail to score a goal or a point yet again.

Although that would bring cheers from the "cap tie" brigade!

3-4 newbies and I'm all for it, over 5 and I am worrying. There's a few players at the back worth a look, and of course we all know Davies (if able) and Tabla (if willing) will change the course of our future ;)

Interview with Zambrano from Montreal's 98.5 channel (starts around 23 minutes in. English and French) http://www.985sports.ca/lecteur/audio/octavio-zambrano-est-notre-invite-il-est-confiant-361724.mp3

Talks about Tabla and how he thinks he will eventually chose Canada and his vision for Canada. Says he has already invited Bernier to the Gold Cup.

Everytime I hear from Zambrano I get more and more encouraged by what he says.

25 minutes ago, farrelld said:

Interview with Zambrano from Montreal's 98.5 channel (starts around 23 minutes in. English and French) http://www.985sports.ca/lecteur/audio/octavio-zambrano-est-notre-invite-il-est-confiant-361724.mp3

Talks about Tabla and how he thinks he will eventually chose Canada and his vision for Canada. Says he has already invited Bernier to the Gold Cup.

Everytime I hear from Zambrano I get more and more encouraged by what he says.

His talk about mentality and the mental side of things makes me think of Herdman on the women's side. Not as singularly focused on tactics as Floro it would seem.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, lazlo_80 said:

I mean looking at his quote he says "some of the players who perhaps have not been part of the national team before..."

I think the best team we put forward does have a few new kids in it (edwards, Davies, etc). Nowhere does he say "we'll only be playing kids who we've never seen before!"

Edwards and Davies have been seeing a lot of senior club action in this early part of the MLS season and have been significant contributors, imo.  To my mind, they've earned legitimate shots at getting senior caps. 

I hope to talk with him before the game in June. I'm still cautious about him but feel he has a good idea of what he wants to do and has an idea how to get that shit done. I think he's also open to short term solutions, which is a good thing.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Edwards and Davies have been seeing a lot of senior club action in this early part of the MLS season and have been significant contributors, imo.  To my mind, they've earned legitimate shots at getting senior caps. 

I think Edwards (and Davies if he's able to) should be at the June game. I'd also include Tabla.

25 minutes ago, matty said:

Hey guys. Just a heads up I'm trying to set up an interview with OZ.

It's not for certain but due to how Soccer Canada handle interviews I should be ready at all times

Anyone have anything they want me to ask him?

Topic 1: So far he's been really open about his chats with players so I'd list players and ask if he has spoken with them - everybody wants to know where Cavallini may fit into the #CanMNT picture, if he rates Occean or not (clearly Floro didn't), will Hutch stick around for the Gold Cup -has he spoken with him?

Topic 2: Some question about friendlies/CONCACAF Nations League games so we can play in Central America to prep us for WCQS.

Everybody keeps asking the same generic vague questions about how the next WCQ cycle has to be different then the previous one - this will give us specific answers about how things stand.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Topic 1: So far he's been really open about his chats with players so I'd list players and ask if he has spoken with them - everybody wants to know where Cavallini may fit into the #CanMNT picture, if he rates Occean or not (clearly Floro didn't), will Hutch stick around for the Gold Cup -has he spoken with him?

Topic 2: Some question about friendlies/CONCACAF Nations League games so we can play in Central America to prep us for WCQS.

Everybody keeps asking the same generic vague questions about how the next WCQ cycle has to be different then the previous one - this will give us specific answers about how things stand.

Oh I plan to ask some curve balls

4 hours ago, matty said:

Hey guys. Just a heads up I'm trying to set up an interview with OZ.

It's not for certain but due to how Soccer Canada handle interviews I should be ready at all times

Anyone have anything they want me to ask him?

What is his purpose for the upcoming Gold Cup, what plan will he implement to realize that purpose, and which players are important to that purpose? 

For example, is he wishing to win the tournament regardless of other considerations, introduce new youngsters into the program, increase our attacking mindset and ability? What's the priority?

In the latest footy soldiers podcast they mention that Zombrano was the CSA's second choice and the first choice guy leveraged the Canadian job offer into a mexican job. Out of morbid curiosity, does anyone know who the first choice guy was?

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic