Octavio Zambrano

RJB

19 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

When did he meet Cristante ?

when was the last time Cavalini was in our squad ?

October 2015 versus Ghana in Washington D.C. That was also Hoilett's first cap. 

So, it's been a while but not terribly long since his last call up.

5 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

BN: #9Lucas Cavallini @OficialCAP received the visit of @oz_football in Uruguay. Proud Canadian doing history on top worldwide club PEÑAROL

C-cE9AyW0AACTOz.jpg

11:16 AM - 27 Apr 2017

Holy crap. Lucas is looking fit. Compared to a few years ago when he was at Juventud. Looks a different man. Hopefully that means he has the pace to run past some CONCACAF defenders!

6 hours ago, matty said:

#2 or #3 likely.

Why do you figure? Just curious how folks would set it up.

I mean, who starts up high, or what two guys if OZ goes for 4-4-2? Who is the supersub as target? Who is the striker who starts from the wing (was Ricketts before)? Who would be our best option as a quick poacher behind and around the target man?

I'd have to see Lucas play some more before deciding whether he or Larin would be more effective up high. For me, both together would be some hard-ass striking up high, give em hell. Renouncing wing attack. With Arfield, Junior, Atiba and ?? behind them. 

For me, Ricketts still sits or supersubs, because he can score, but he's a bit of a football klutz nonetheless.

I think, just to add, that pushing Haber out of the picture, for now, is a big step up for Canada.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 5/18/2017 at 10:44 PM, bwilly11 said:

Where would Cavalini sit in out depth chart these days?

1) Larin

2) If Larin not available, whoever's most on form: Cavalini, AJH, Haber, Jackson, Occean

3) Ricketts = supper sub off the bench

On 5/19/2017 at 5:09 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think, just to add, that pushing Haber out of the picture, for now, is a big step up for Canada.

Haber's a bit of an enigma. He hasn't produced much for the nats, so that suggests the international level is step too high for him, but at the same time, goals are a function of chances, and for most of his caps (recently) he's played more as a hold up man and doesn't get much service in scoring positions. Also at club level he always seemed to be a guy who'd bring enough to the table to get his next contract, but never enough to lock down a starting spot, or stick around anywhere for too long. Before you take too much of a dump on him though, he's quietly been starting and having a decent season in the SPL, scoring 9 goals in 27 starts for a GP90 of 0.3. That's not too shabby.

I don't know Lucas does displace Haber based on current form. What he does do is bring different look than the other options off the bench. Moreover, unlike anyone on that list except AJH he's not pushing/past 30 and could have his best years in front of him.

Also WRT Ricketts, it's not that I don't rate him higher than the guy's I've listed at (2), but that I think he's been so effective at changing games as a sub for TFC, that I'd save him for this role as well for the CMNT.

For me the major reason why this makes me really pleased to see is that OZ is clearly being really proactive about recruitment and leaving no stone in our player pool unturned, and it's always nice to see old hatchets being buried.

Our player pool is so thin we just can't afford to have guys who are good enough, disfavoured for personal reasons.

7 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

1) Larin

2) If Larin not available, whoever's most on form: Cavalini, AJH, Haber, Jackson, Occean

3) Ricketts = supper sub off the bench

Haber's a bit of an enigma. He hasn't produced much for the nats, so that suggests the international level is step too high for him, but at the same time, goals are a function of chances, and for most of his caps (recently) he's played more as a hold up man and doesn't get much service in scoring positions. Also at club level he always seemed to be a guy who'd bring enough to the table to get his next contract, but never enough to lock down a starting spot, or stick around anywhere for too long. Before you take too much of a dump on him though, he's quietly been starting and having a decent season in the SPL, scoring 9 goals in 27 starts for a GP90 of 0.3. That's not too shabby.

I don't know Lucas does displace Haber based on current form. What he does do is bring different look than the other options off the bench. Moreover, unlike anyone on that list except AJH he's not pushing/past 30 and could have his best years in front of him.

Also WRT Ricketts, it's not that I don't rate him higher than the guy's I've listed at (2), but that I think he's been so effective at changing games as a sub for TFC, that I'd save him for this role as well for the CMNT.

For me the major reason why this makes me really pleased to see is that OZ is clearly being really proactive about recruitment and leaving no stone in our player pool unturned, and it's always nice to see old hatchets being buried.

Our player pool is so thin we just can't afford to have guys who are good enough, disfavoured for personal reasons.

Only problem with this reasoning is that Peñarol is as good a team as any in MLS, as is Nacional, both are top clubs. Probably there is less parity in Uruguay, but it is not an easy scoring league either. Just saying this because a guy scoring in MLS cannot automatically be rated over a guy scoring for a top Uruguay club. 

As I say, I'd have to see him play some day full match, to really evaluate him, but I say he is par with Larin. First to start scoring for Canada should get the nod or hey, play them together. 

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only problem with this reasoning is that Peñarol is as good a team as any in MLS, as is Nacional, both are top clubs. Probably there is less parity in Uruguay, but it is not an easy scoring league either. Just saying this because a guy scoring in MLS cannot automatically be rated over a guy scoring for a top Uruguay club. 

As I say, I'd have to see him play some day full match, to really evaluate him, but I say he is par with Larin. First to start scoring for Canada should get the nod or hey, play them together. 

There is a case to make that Larin is better than him considering that Cavallini plays on one of the best teams in a league with less parity. Plus the guy racks up yellows like crazy

25 minutes ago, canta15 said:

There is a case to make that Larin is better than him considering that Cavallini plays on one of the best teams in a league with less parity. Plus the guy racks up yellows like crazy

As I say, we really need to sit down and watch him whole matches, I've only seen highlights of him in Uruguay. They play their last group stage game on Wed in Libertadores, so if he starts I may try to watch, though I think they are already eliminated so may not be a good indicator.

I am very optimistic of Cavallini playing for us under Zambrano. Visiting him in Uruguay is one thing, but the smiling photo says a thousand words. In light of this, I would be more surprised if Cavallini turned down the call. He is already married, has a child, family life is in order, scoring for a top team in South America, he just seems settled now, as opposed to playing for a relatively obscure team like Fenix. Sure, there is arguably another level, like a Boca Juniors or even Europe, but I don't imagine he has the same urgency now to focus solely on club ball, now that he's proving to be a contributing member of such a club as  Peñerol.

Edited by Obinna

On 5/21/2017 at 0:29 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would personally love to see him start alongside Larin. It seems to me Larin's bread and better are either creating an inch of space and ripping one from  around the 18 or (more frequently) an incisive run and quick well placed finish. It's hard to do either effectively when you're the lone target striker. Orlando have figured this out and pair him with Rivas.

I haven't watched much of Cavallini in the last 4 years, but if his game is anything like it was, he could certainly be used to run at defenders and create space for Larin (something Larin doesn't often do).  

Well said.  Larin's highlights in MLS show him blasting goals into the net from just outside the box, and yet when playing for Canada, he almost never has those type of chances.  It has been mentioned that he has no one like Kaka to feed him, but your point is one that I hope Oz is thinking about when figuring out our set up for the next set of games.  Having Cavallini or another strike partner (preferably not Ricketts) will make Cyle much more effective for Canada.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Well said.  Larin's highlights in MLS show him blasting goals into the net from just outside the box, and yet when playing for Canada, he almost never has those type of chances.  It has been mentioned that he has no one like Kaka to feed him, but your point is one that I hope Oz is thinking about when figuring out our set up for the next set of games.  Having Cavallini or another strike partner (preferably not Ricketts) will make Cyle much more effective for Canada.

Larin either needs a partner (Akindele, AJH, Cavallini) or a CAM (Aleman, Chapman, Tabla) to help feed him. He had neither in Floro's system only wingers who could lob in balls like Hoilett.

In all my years watching the boys play we rarely have done well with only 1 striker up top. I think playing Larin and Cavallini up top together would be a statment of attacking intent as well as one hell of a powerful front pairing. Both guys are tall, strong and skilled. They can score in the air or on the ground. 

So far i dont know if OZ would do it but i would like to see us alternalte between a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-3. We appear to have numerous quality midfielders right now, many of the attacking variety to pull off these type of formations.

2 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

In all my years watching the boys play we rarely have done well with only 1 striker up top. I think playing Larin and Cavallini up top together would be a statment of attacking intent as well as one hell of a powerful front pairing. Both guys are tall, strong and skilled. They can score in the air or on the ground. 

So far i dont know if OZ would do it but i would like to see us alternalte between a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-3. We appear to have numerous quality midfielders right now, many of the attacking variety to pull off these type of formations.

When have we not played 1 up top?  Seriously though, I've followed Canada religiously for about 10 years and can't remember one match where we haven't played 1 up top.  Not even against minnows.. 

50 minutes ago, Keegan said:

When have we not played 1 up top?  Seriously though, I've followed Canada religiously for about 10 years and can't remember one match where we haven't played 1 up top.  Not even against minnows.. 

Yallop era was the last time, Radzinski and Hume started the 2004 WCQs up top.

48 minutes ago, Rheo said:

tidbits:

- Hutchison not playing in Gold Cup

- Arfield getting married but will be at Gold cup

- Alphonso Davis getting called up as soon as he gets his passport

- Tabla declined invitation

Edited by mpg_29

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic