Octavio Zambrano

RJB

On 5/30/2017 at 11:46 PM, masster said:

The camp is in Montreal. He is a third keeper who happens to be around to make up the numbers. I don't have an issue with that.

Totally agree with you on Fresenga though. Couldn't catch on with the Whitecaps and barely played for Ottawa as well.

On 5/31/2017 at 2:05 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I agree. But its just a prep game. Ledgerwood and Attakora are pretty reliable and experienced. It isn't a big deal that they aren't there. If he wants them, he will call them for the gold cup. Beckie and Edward are good hard working players but they don't show the kind of upside as many of the guys invited, plus they are being heavily relied upon by their teams in their leagues. Fresenga and Pantemis are just extra bodies for practice. Thats my opinion anyways.

Yeah, but I'm thinking there are probably better and more deserving bodies for practice.

Frasenga is the biggest head scratcher for me. When played for the U23s he looked brilliant, but then when he trialled for the Caps he looked fat and out of shape... bad sign at 20 yrs old and he subsequently played his way out of Ottawa. He's still only 24 though, and perhaps he's matured and taking his training more seriously, and maybe OZ's seen something in him. We shall see.

first post here!

I found this article posted on June 1 2017. Where the coach talks about players. It says that Bernier might be the Captain but more interesting was 

"Canada's future may hinge on players who have yet to commit to the national team, including the Impact's 18-year-old midfielder Ballou Tabla, who can also play for his native Ivory Coast. Zambrano has met with Ballou and is confident he will choose Canada.

Others in his sights include 22-year-old midfielder Bryan Cristante, who plays for Atalanta in Italy but is eligible because his father was born in Toronto, and two Canadian-born 24-year-olds -- centreback Ricardo Ferreira of Braga in Portugal and striker Lucas Cavallini of the Penasol club in Uruguay.

"That's three very good players who would elevate immediately the level of the team," said Zambrano. "If we can manage to get these players into the national team, and I think we have a good chance to do so, we can look at big things.

"Bigger than just participating, which is what we need to extricate from our guys' minds. We are not just participants, we are protagonists. That is the driving message of this game coming up and hopefully it's reflected against Curacao."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/national-coach-zambrano-high-bernier-ahead-curacao-friendly/

would love to have those 3 play for us!!! Also seems confident that Tabla will play for Canada.

"He plays the right ball every time. Very (rarely) do you see Bernier lose a ball. The game I prefer is about fluidity, transitioning the ball from defence to offence in a clever manner, and I'm counting on him. Quite honestly, I might have trouble to replace him when he decides (to retire). I convinced him for the Gold Cup, but after that, I may have another conversation for him to continue a little longer."

Absolutely no point to have him longer, he'll retire in a few months...just let it go

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

"He plays the right ball every time. Very (rarely) do you see Bernier lose a ball. The game I prefer is about fluidity, transitioning the ball from defence to offence in a clever manner, and I'm counting on him. Quite honestly, I might have trouble to replace him when he decides (to retire). I convinced him for the Gold Cup, but after that, I may have another conversation for him to continue a little longer."

Absolutely no point to have him longer, he'll retire in a few months...just let it go

If Bernier still has gas in the tank, I personally want him on the team. We have to stop always looking to the future, and start winning now. Build some momentum. Show the young up and coming dual nationals that they CAN win with Canada

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Wonder why he's so hot for Bernier? He's good but not that good and has never been the focal point of our midfield so why blow so much sunshine up his ass now, when he's 37 years old?

This is his farewell, testimonial, match (in his hometown). I think OZ is giving the guy respect for his contribution to the game in Canada, nothing more. OZ knows Bernier is not the future...

Edited by BCM

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

"He play rrigas every time. Ve.ry (rarely ) do you see Bernier lose a ball. The game I prefer is about fluidity, transitioning the ball from defence to offence in a clever manner, and I'm counting on him. Quite honestly, I might have trouble to replace him when he decides (to retire). I convinced him for the Gold Cup, but after that, I may have another conversation for him to continue a little longer."

Shamit shome Is a very good replacement for bernier. He isnt CMNT material yet. But in a couple years he will be great in that holding/connecting role that Bernier Plays. Shome is currently playing in montreal as well. Maybe he will pick up a few things from Bernier (once he is back from injury).

Bernier is an interesting player. I mean, he played 53 caps for Canada and the prime of his career he was hidden away at Nordsjaelland. I had zero confidence in him when he was on our Gold Cup rosters. But then he came to MLS and you got to see him play every day for his hometown club and frankly, he has been incredible. Players from all across the world have talked about how good he is. But when you think back to our "best midfield in CONCACAF" era, he was a footnote. Is it because he was francophone and the English press just didn't care? I mean looking back on their careers, was de Guzman really that much better than Bernier? De Guzman ended his career with zero trophies to his name, where as Bernier twice won the Danish Cup. Bernier is 38 and still playing competitive soccer at a very high level, commanding games. Bernier so far only has 53 national team caps to de Guzman's 85.

I wonder if Octavio is setting the tone. Doesn't matter where you are from, if you have quality I will praise you. 

Edited by Levi Oakey

4 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Bernier is an interesting player. I mean, he played 53 caps for Canada and the prime of his career he was hidden away at Nordsjaelland. I had zero confidence in him when he was on our Gold Cup rosters. But then he came to MLS and you got to see him play every day for his hometown club and frankly, he has been incredible. Players from all across the world have talked about how good he is. But when you think back to our "best midfield in CONCACAF" era, he was a footnote. Is it because he was francophone and the English press just didn't care? I mean looking back on their careers, was de Guzman really that much better than Bernier? De Guzman ended his career with zero trophies to his name, where as Bernier twice won the Danish Cup. Bernier is 38 and still playing competitive soccer at a very high level, commanding games. Bernier so far only has 53 national team caps to de Guzman's 85.

I wonder if Octavio is setting the tone. Doesn't matter where you are from, if you have quality I will praise you. 

I never understood why people were so critical of Bernier for the national team. There were several games he was as good or better than de Guzman. I don't honk it had anything to do with being francophone, why would it? More likely it was because he was "hidden away" in Denmark as you point out, but truth is he was always a very good player in Scandinavia and even at one point was close to a Besiktas move. I'm not surprised he's done well in MLS. He deserves the accolades and like a fine wine he seems to get better with age, or at least never experienced a big drop like de Guzman (who I really like btw, this is not to bash him).

57 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Shamit shome Is a very good replacement for bernier. He isnt CMNT material yet. But in a couple years he will be great in that holding/connecting role that Bernier Plays. Shome is currently playing in montreal as well. Maybe he will pick up a few things from Bernier (once he is back from injury).

Well, "playing in Montreal" are not the words I would use to describe Shome at the moment. Hopefully that changes before the end of the year, because he would have been an every game starter (when healthy) in Edmonton had he stayed.

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I never understood why people were so critical of Bernier for the national team. There were several games he was as good or better than de Guzman. I don't honk it had anything to do with being francophone, why would it? More likely it was because he was "hidden away" in Denmark as you point out, but truth is he was always a very good player in Scandinavia and even at one point was close to a Besiktas move. I'm not surprised he's done well in MLS. He deserves the accolades and like a fine wine he seems to get better with age, or at least never experienced a big drop like de Guzman (who I really like btw, this is not to bash him).

Oh, I am not bashing de Guzman either. Another thing about Bernier, he was constantly pushed to the outside of midfield in those days, which probably significantly impacted his play, but still. I never really saw the sombrero, nutmeg master that Bernier is in MLS back in the old days for Canada. Since becoming the focal point of the Impact I would say he has been one of the best Canadian midfielders directly along with Atiba. You see Gold Cup Lineups and no one seems to be saying that best midfield pairing is Bernier/Hutchinson. 

19 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, "playing lntreal" are nMILSthe words I would  use to describe  Shome at the moment. Hopefully that changes before the end of the year, because he would have been an every game starter (when healthy) in Edmonton had he stayed.

True. Its hard for him to turn down 128k though... I do think he can play this level though. Maybe with bernier retiring  he will be able to step in and show his talent. It may take a couple years but he will be a regular starter in the MLS Sometime. Could be a strong CMNT Member too. He has already captained the u-20s untill He got hurt

9 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

True. Its hard for him to turn down 128k though... I do think he can play this level though. Maybe with bernier retiring  he will be able to step in and show his talent. It may take a couple years but he will be a regular starter in the MLS Sometime. Could be a strong CMNT Member too. He has already captained the u-20s untill He got hurt

Financially, it was absolutely a smart move. But developmentally, I thought it was a very high risk move for him. I hope he can actually get on the pitch at some point this year, even with a loan move.

On Come on You Reds Podcast Terry Dunfield said he sees Zambrano around the TFC academy teams all the time. I think that is a good sign of how involved he will be with Canadian Soccer. Hopefully he is around the other two MLS academies and as many others as possible (Fury, FC Edmonton, Sigma, etc..). I hope we see him at MLS games and Canadian Championship games and the camera pans to him and the announcers talk about CanMNT during the broadcast. Seems like sometimes CanMNT is not talked about enough during MLS games.

15 hours ago, Ruffian said:

On Come on You Reds Podcast Terry Dunfield said he sees Zambrano around the TFC academy teams all the time. I think that is a good sign of how involved he will be with Canadian Soccer. Hopefully he is around the other two MLS academies and as many others as possible (Fury, FC Edmonton, Sigma, etc..). I hope we see him at MLS games and Canadian Championship games and the camera pans to him and the announcers talk about CanMNT during the broadcast. Seems like sometimes CanMNT is not talked about enough during MLS games.

I saw him at BMO on Wednesday chatting with a few guys so there's hope yet for him popping up on TV.

On 2017-06-02 at 3:53 PM, BrennanFan said:

Wonder why he's so hot for Bernier? He's good but not that good and has never been the focal point of our midfield so why blow so much sunshine up his ass now, when he's 37 years old?

Likely due to his experience, how he's been playing the last two seasons and strong leadership. IT all started when Klopas left and Biello started utilizing him more that he's had a resurgence notching a goal vs TFC in the wildcard game in 2015. 

Hey they did worse w a tired De Guzman. Love the guy but he struggled and played at a lower level than Bernier his last seasons. He was probably preferred over Bernier cause his time w Deportivo and was one of the few players that could understand what the hell Floro was saying and his vision.

The way Berniers been playing he should reconsider retiring as he is a vital part to the Impact right now. 

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic