Adonijah Reid

Vince193

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

prob a better level tbh

Not sure how from a Canadian perspective. Being objective, CPL has a team playing continental football and with 2 CMNT call ups. USL has neither. The levels are comparable but as a Canadian trying to advance you’re probably better off in CPL.

13 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not sure how from a Canadian perspective. Being objective, CPL has a team playing continental football and with 2 CMNT call ups. USL has neither. The levels are comparable but as a Canadian trying to advance you’re probably better off in CPL.

BUT.....as a young man looking for cash as well as paying time, he could do worse.  Of course I am assuming Miami is one of the  bigger spending USL clubs.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This guy seems to fall into that Ballou category where we had high hopes for him, and now forget he exists at all. Adonijah still only just turned 22 and is looking pretty good in the USL. Let's not forget that guys like Mark Anthony Kaye didn't break out above that level until nearly 24.

Anyways, here's a small blurb I came across from a Eighty Six Forever article about signing domestic players:

(you can read the full article which mentions some CPL guys too here: https://www.eightysixforever.com/2021/11/21/22786862/guys-who-could-be-guys-12-domestic-players-who-could-make-an-impact-for-the-whitecaps-next-season )

"I’m sure you all knew this was coming, seeing as I am the internet’s foremost Adonijah Reid evangelist. But I have good reasons. At 0.77 xG+xA/90 minutes Reid is the USL player, not currently owned by an MLS team, who generates the most xG per game. If he sees a drop-off of 25-30% when making the jump to MLS then he’d still be expected to get a goal or assist every second game.

But despite this he gets surprisingly little love from Miami F.C. He only started 10 of his 29 appearances this season. So the already low price of top USL talent is likely to be even lower if there is any price at all.

Now, you might reasonably ask, how can I possibly be suggesting an MLS team sign a player that barely starts for a USL team? Well, he’s played almost 1200 minutes (if you include stoppage time, as American Soccer Analysis does) so we can be reasonably sure that his incredible per-minute production isn’t a fluke. Plus, as far as I know, there isn’t any other U23 Canadian who produces this level of offence that’s available at this low of a price point. If you want to be the Athletic Bilbao of Canada then this is the kind of swing you just have to take.

Now, no doubt you’re wondering if he’s so good why does he never get to start in USL? Well, I think there are two key reasons. Firstly, until a brace on the final day of the season, Reid was pretty spectacularly underperforming his xG. It’s possible he was being punished for his lack of scoring, even though he was creating a ton of chances for himself and others. The other reason is that his on-field attitude is a bit Barry Robson-esque. There’s a lot of exasperated looks to the heavens when he doesn’t get a pass he wants and he isn’t exactly an enthusiastic defender.

But even with these factors I think the low cost and huge potential upside make this a risk worth taking. Plus, in Ryan Gauld, the Whitecaps have a player who made some changes to his game to become more complete. Maybe he can get in Reid’s ear about that stuff.

Screen_Shot_2021_11_17_at_9.00.31_PM.png Data Courtesy of American Soccer Analysis

But with that long screed out of the way, what type of player is Reid exactly? Well he usually lines up as a center-forward for Miami but in practice, he’s more of a false 9. He’s also played on the wing in the past but I think he’s a much more effective player through the middle (and there are no wingers in Sartini’s system in any case). When Reid is in the middle he is less likely to dribble into a blind alley and he can use his excellent vision to find teammates."

• 1 year later...