Adonijah Reid

Vince193

The Dallas media seems to be confused about what is happening:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2017/07/07/fc-dallas-reid-joins-ottawa-fury-long

...There had been talk of loaning the Brampton, Ontario native to a Canadian team until he turned 18, but that was weighed up against the value of daily practice with the first team and coaches. At this point it isn't clear whether that is now the case, or whether the move is permanent. 

FC Dallas have declined to comment until Major League Soccer decides on the course of action.

38 minutes ago, Keegan said:

My guess is that MLS has come to the realization the signing was illegal to begin with and they're embarrassed 

you can't loan or sell a player you don't own and you can't own him until he's 18

If this is the case it's completely unacceptable. Even some of us here who have no formal training and incomplete info. knew something was fishy.

28 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

My understanding is that Reid was going to take up a supplemental roster spot on FC Dallas when he turned 18. So they got a look at him and decided to let him go before they needed to demote a HG player to get him on the roster. 

Do GA players take up spots? My understanding was that they were basically a free player

Just now, Keegan said:

Do GA players take up spots? My understanding was that they were basically a free player

Yes. Teams don't pay the salary of the player and they don't count against the cap, but they take a supplemental roster spot (spots 21-24 on an MLS roster). The Portland Timbers released Schillo Tshuma, a 2015 GA player, for this reason.

Unfortunately, Reid landed on a team that is stacked with MLS prospects. Reid wouldn't even have started for the Dallas u18 team. Dallas has Jesus Ferraria (who is younger than Davies and already has an MLS goal), Devin Vega (the leader in goals/90 in all of the USSDA), and Bryan Padilla (maybe the best 2000 in the whole US). Shaft Brewer, Dallas' fourth string u18 striker, was just poached by RB Leipzig.

I asked Adonijah Reid some questions about his status before warm ups at the Toronto FC II vs Ottawa Fury game this evening.   (I watched him play over the year's with ANB Futbol of League 1 Ontario in their first years so he recognized me). 

He answered he's still with FC Dallas of MLS and they can recall him.  He said Dallas doesn't have a USL team so this is a way to give him playing time. 

He was on the subs bench but didn't get into the game tonight. 

8 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I asked Adonijah Reid some questions about his status before warm ups at the Toronto FC II vs Ottawa Fury game this evening.   (I watched him play over the year's with ANB Futbol of League 1 Ontario in their first years so he recognized me). 

He answered he's still with FC Dallas of MLS and they can recall him.  He said Dallas doesn't have a USL team so this is a way to give him playing time. 

Finally some clarity! Thank you for your continued contributions RR.

37 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Thanks, @Rocket Robin I don't understand why Fury would call him 100% theirs then...

Edited by BCM

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

FC Dallas have an affiliation agreement with OKC Energy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OKC_Energy_FC

but maybe they didn't want to take Adonijah Reid while Ottawa did?

careful BBTB it says 'formally'.  I believe Reid.   

let's use your link:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OKC_Energy_FC

Affiliated teams

The club is formally associated with FC Dallas of Major League Soccer.[13][14] They were affiliated with Sporting Kansas City from 2014 through 2015.[   

Nothing I suggested there contradicted what Reid said. I think you may be confusing the meanings of formally and formerly? Every MLS team has to have a USL affiliate or reserve team. What Dallas don't have is a reserve team which is what he probably meant. As is the case where Ottawa and Montreal are concerned Dallas's affiliated USL team in Oklahoma City probably only has to take players that they actually want and may have decided that they weren't interested in taking him when he turns 18 next month. What is more puzzling is what the11.ca reported because that does appear to contradict what the player told you:

https://the11.ca/reids-move-to-the-ottawa-fury-from-fc-dallas-creates-more-questions-than-answers/

My guess is that the people Steven Sandor spoke to at both clubs may not have known what they were talking about given this is not a high profile signing. I'd trust what the player has to say on the matter more at this point.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

the MTL players on loan with the fury .. dont have much of a chance of starting on an primarily independent USL club. Fury save on salary while these spots fill the bench ...  Probably be better to loan players to a CPL club. 

Just now, yothat said:

the MTL players on loan with the fury .. dont have much of a chance of starting on an primarily independent USL club. Fury save on salary while these spots fill the bench ...  Probably be better to loan players to a CPL club. 

I can't see the organisational structure and contract situation being different with a CPL club.

• 1 month later...

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2017/08/14/fc-dallas-superdraft-pick-adonijah-reid-scores-first-pro-goal-loan-usls-ottawa-fury

this article seems to admit that he isn't signed by Dallas at all.  He can't transfer until 18 so he has to wait until the next window to sign for Dallas.

We just don't know if he's on loan from MLS or signed to Ottawa... if Dallas couldn't sign him how can MLS though? Unless the league as a whole is considered domestic for Canada and that would explain a lot.