Adonijah Reid

Vince193

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Can't find a dedicated thread, but I'm pretty sure there is one, you can delete this one and use that one instead.

Anyways he has signed a GA Canada deal and will be available in the MLS draft.

Outstanding news for a few reasons. It's a real shame ANB Futbol folded from L1O though.

Mind disclosing your source? Is there an article or a tweet? Or did you hear it from someone in the know?

2 hours ago, Havoc88 said:

He had a pretty good year of league play in SAAC, IIRC still averaging about a goal a game. However, I had heard that after his breakout year in 2015 he didn't progress as much as one would expect in 2016.

If I'm not mistaken, SAAC is the name for the non-OSA (or OSA recognized) academies right? But not a specific league/age group? Was he playing in a men's division last year or was it a youth division?

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

Would that not be a step down from L10? Why would he lead the league in scoring then go to a lower division the next year?

In addition to BBTB's fair point, it's worth noting that he just stuck with his team. ANB Futbol dropped out of L1O after his goal leading season, and he continued to play with them. It wasn't a case of him leaving his team to find another team at a lower level.

Edit: After doing a tiny bit of research, it looks like ANB Futbol was fighting for top spot with Sigma's B team in SAAC this season (finished second to Sigma in the Spring, and came first ahead of Sigma in the fall). So for the people that like to compare L1O to PDL by looking at how Oakville and London have done in L1O, it gives the impression that L1O is a higher level than SAAC, since ANB was mid table (6th of 12 teams) in 2015 L1O play.

For those interested:
http://www.academysoccer.ca/?link=division&Dpick=00129
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_League1_Ontario_season

Side note. When am I going to be able to look up historical season tables on the L1O website instead of having to go to wikipedia?

Edited by Kent

2 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Would that not be a step down from L10? Why would he lead the league in scoring then go to a lower division the next year?

It was. ANB dropped their League 1 ontario team and he played with one of their youger developmental teams in SAAC 

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

I don't want him at TO. With Jozy, Seba, Babouli and Hamilton plus Hundaal waiting he would never get in that team.

Not wanting a top prospect because you have other prospects is absurd. He's most likely a couple years from getting regular MLS minutes so he would be developing with the USL team.

Not saying he should necessarily be at that top of their wish list but they could do worse with picks 21, 26 & 27. It's not like TFC has been batting a thousand in the draft...

Edited by FC_Hali

2 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Not wanting a top prospect because you have other prospects is absurd. He's most likely a couple years from getting regular MLS minutes so he would be developing with the USL team.

Not saying he should necessarily be at that top of their wish list but they could do worse with picks 21, 26 & 27. It's not like TFC has been batting a thousand in the draft...

your point makes sense, and frankly any attacking player in MLS has a steep uphill battle to fight considering those spots are usually filled by DPs or experienced internationals.

However I think it wouldn't hurt for him to be in a new market and perhaps one that has at least a little more flexibility in it's attacking approach.

Also...I'm not quite sure TFC2 has their head wrapped around the whole USL thing yet. I think there's better USL affiliates for him to play at.

2 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Your first sentence makes sense if your club team is your only priority. For me personally, Canada is my first priority, and TFC second (not counting CPL for the moment). I don't want all these prospects to cannibalize each other's development. My ideal situation would be Reid latching on to playing time somewhere else, while Hamilton and/or Hundaal break through at TFC.

He likely won't drop down past the 10th pick. For any team to pass up a chance to have a player with his salary not counted against the cap is a pretty big deal - not to mention he is 18 and is probably 4-5 years younger than most of the kids in the draft. Robinson drafted Manneh as a 17 year old and was passed by a few teams before he drafted him. Those teams are likely kicking themselves in the ass now. I would much rather have a raw young player versus a 23 year old NCAA player. 

Vancouver is picking 7th I would place a bet that they grab him with this pick.

If Toronto was smart, they would trade their 21st, 26th and 27th pick for Columbus' 5th pick to nab him.

Columbus still has the 9th pick.

in any case, good luck to both Canadian DPs.

Whitecaps might be a decent spot for Reid, actually. Given that the great Erik Hurtado is their main attacker, and Barnes is rumoured to be leaving, could be a decent shot for him there. Plus, I like the thought of seeing Davies and Reid linking up. 

Feels weird to talk about how Whitecaps would be a good place for a young Canadian prospect to get minutes.....

Edited by shermanator