Adonijah Reid

Vince193

TFC, the Impact and the Whitecaps are all part of the wider single entity in player contract terms that are held by the league rather than the individual franchises, so the three Canadian teams are majority owned by the wider league and that means that MLS must have a presence as a domestic D1 league in both the United States and Canada.

30 minutes ago, Keegan said:

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2017/08/14/fc-dallas-superdraft-pick-adonijah-reid-scores-first-pro-goal-loan-usls-ottawa-fury

this article seems to admit that he isn't signed by Dallas at all.  He can't transfer until 18 so he has to wait until the next window to sign for Dallas.

We just don't know if he's on loan from MLS or signed to Ottawa... if Dallas couldn't sign him how can MLS though? Unless the league as a whole is considered domestic for Canada and that would explain a lot.

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, Reid has a GA Canada contract with MLS, his MLS rights are owned by Dallas, and now that he has turned 18 can sign with the club, and is on loan to Ottawa currently? So confusing.

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Took it well. Definitely no tap in. Painful to see a huge empty stand as a backdrop like that.

Unfortunate but they didn't have much choice to structure the broadcast they way they have when they rebuilt the stadium. It would be a very oddly high angle if they repositioned them to the north side. I'm sure OSEG has considered it but it would be great if they could arrange that in the future.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, Reid has a GA Canada contract with MLS, his MLS rights are owned by Dallas, and now that he has turned 18 can sign with the club, and is on loan to Ottawa currently? So confusing.

At this point the only things I'm certain of is that he has a MLS GA contract and his MLS rights are owned by Dallas.

It's especially weird that they say he can't sign with Dallas until the next window.. considering he has a Canadian GA deal he's already signed.. I guess they mean MLS can't assign his contract to Dallas until that point. Players as far as I know don't sign two deals to play in MLS.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I had forgotten he was with Ottawa. I just looked up his stats. Only 156 minutes played in 5 appearances. He has 1 goal so far.

He's been pretty decent, but still a long ways away from being good enough to challenge the likes of Haworth and Seoane for starting minutes. It's also worth considering that he has to compete for minutes with other good young wingers like Sanon and Luboyera, the latter in particular was really impressive until he got injured a couple weeks ago.

He'll keep getting minutes in Ottawa though, which is a lot better than just training with Dallas.

Edited by Zem

12 minutes ago, Zem said:

He's been pretty decent, but still a long ways away from being good enough to challenge the likes of Haworth and Seoane for starting minutes. It's also worth considering that he has to compete for minutes with other good young wingers like Sanon and Luboyera, the latter in particular was really impressive until he got injured a couple weeks ago.

He'll keep getting minutes in Ottawa though, which is a lot better than just training with Dallas.

Haworth shouldn't be too hard to replace. IMO, the guy has never been anything resembling a decent scorer, save for a brief stretch last year.

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Haworth shouldn't be too hard to replace. IMO, the guy has never been anything resembling a decent scorer, save for a brief stretch last year.

Haworth is probably the hardest to replace. He is just coming off an injury but otherwise ottawas best player. 

53 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Yeah that is simply incorrect, Carl is the least likely out of any Ottawa player to be replaced in the starting XI at the moment. He may not have scored yet this season since coming off two back-to-back ankle injuries, but he's had plenty of very close chances and has been a fantastic playmaker besides (as evidenced in the highlights posted above). He wasn't very notable in the MDS era because back then he was asked to play as a conventional wide winger rather than the inside forward role he has played since Dalglish took over, which is also the reason he didn't score much back then.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Im starting to get excited about Adonijah Reid again... The past few games for Ottawa he's been a gamebreaker. He stands out on the pitch for sure, doing things other players around him just can't do. He should have had 2 assists in the PennFC game but his teamates let him down, and in the last game against ATL United 2 he created the first goal and drew the free kick Carl scored for the second goal. He also created several other chances in the game. I think with all the attention going to Davies and Millar we for the most part forget about Reid, I think that is a mistake. Might end up being the steal of the draft for FC Dallas. 

30 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Im starting to get excited about Adonijah Reid again... The past few games for Ottawa he's been a gamebreaker. He stands out on the pitch for sure, doing things other players around him just can't do. He should have had 2 assists in the PennFC game but his teamates let him down, and in the last game against ATL United 2 he created the first goal and drew the free kick Carl scored for the second goal. He also created several other chances in the game. I think with all the attention going to Davies and Millar we for the most part forget about Reid, I think that is a mistake. Might end up being the steal of the draft for FC Dallas. 

Thanks for posting these. I haven't been paying too much attention to USL. It is great to see Ottawa doing well. 

I wonder if he requested to go back to Ottawa this year. I think it was the right move but I just can’t imagine why a team like FCD would send out a young player who doesn’t take up any roster spots.

Looks good for an 18 year old some great passes there.

11 hours ago, BradMack said:

He definitely stands out on the field. In the PennFC game it seemed like most of the most dangerous offensive plays came through his work. I hope he can maintain this influence through the entire season. He even outshone American Starlet Andrew Carleton during the Atlanta 2 game.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

He definitely stands out on the field. In the PennFC game it seemed like most of the most dangerous offensive plays came through his work. I hope he can maintain this influence through the entire season. He even outshone American Starlet Andrew Carleton during the Atlanta 2 game.

Thought this as well, has me questioning why so many people would rather see Ayo Akinola called up over Reid. I know it is because Ayo has options and we need to cap tie just in case, but I think based on play in USL Reid is a much better prospect. 

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I wonder if he requested to go back to Ottawa this year. I think it was the right move but I just can’t imagine why a team like FCD would send out a young player who doesn’t take up any roster spots.

Looks good for an 18 year old some great passes there.

They probably saw it as the best fit. Ottawa was the only place he could play as a  17 year old because of Fifa rules when he was initially loaned out. They must've liked what they saw and wanted him back on loan this year when they heard he was going to be loaned out again. FCD is one of the MLS teams that doesn't really have a full time affiliate, they have players on loan at 3 different USL clubs so it's really a player to player situation to fin the best fit for them. I think it works much better like that then say TFC2 where the team is awful because it is all youth players and college rookies. Adonijah is surrounded by better players and seems to be developing nicely. 

As for why FC Dallas didn't keep him around.. well Tesho doesn't even get minutes there and he's a former rookie of the year. They for sure see the potential in Reid and want him to develop as quickly as possible. They new his chances to do that are greatly increased with playing time easier to come by in Ottawa. I would also imagine he's locked up for 2 more years as most players sign the 2+1+1 deal MLS is famous for, so they're not worried he would have a good year in Ottawa and then leave them.